Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Range Rovers.

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Lord Sward

Lord Sward

• Full Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:01 PM

@barmatt; don't rule out the TD5.  They sound great and are surprisingly smooth.  The scare stories about the electrics are just that provided you avoid ACE as did (but do go for airsprings).

• barmatt and Stevebrookman like this

#122 OFFLINE   barmatt

barmatt

• Full Members
  • 750 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationNorth Norfolk

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:06 PM

@barmatt; don't rule out the TD5.  They sound great and are surprisingly smooth.  The scare stories about the electrics are just that provided you avoid ACE as did (but do go for airsprings).

I think a td5 is a serious contender, a mate has a really low mileage one on an '03 plate, I'll see if I can borrow it for a bit to try it out.

#123 OFFLINE   Rusty_Rocket

Rusty_Rocket

• Full Members
  • 1,096 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationKent/ Sussex border

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:25 PM

The ACE is great while it's working though. Something quite amazing about throwing a 2t+ vehicle around a twisting road and the body staying level. Mind you, mine was noisy in operation. 

#124 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 5,778 posts
  • 44 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:41 AM

Only thing with the Td5 is the oil pump on early ones & check the injector loom (runs inside the head) for oil as it works it's way down to the ECU n kills it.

• Stevebrookman likes this

#125 OFFLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 17,776 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 18.32.09.png

https://www.facebook...55225827850295/

• Hooli likes this

I estimate this car needs £3000 maybe £4000 spending on it to get it rite and when this is done it will be wotrth about £1500!!

#126 ONLINE   andy18s

andy18s

• Full Members
  • 2,792 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

Up for sale on eBay at the mo....
  • cort16 likes this
2x Vivaro vans.....for now amyway

#127 OFFLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 17,776 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:41 PM

M3 powered! Thats pretty mega.

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.u...fcAAOSw-K9ZOBvx

• Barry Cade., Sigmund Fraud, Hooli and 1 other like this

I estimate this car needs £3000 maybe £4000 spending on it to get it rite and when this is done it will be wotrth about £1500!!

#128 OFFLINE   Lord Sward

Lord Sward

• Full Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:07 PM

I towed a 1700++ kg caravan from Bristol to Newcastle the other week with my TD5, loaded to the gunnels, air-con running at full tilt.  Just over 29mpg.  Stunning.

• Hooli likes this

#129 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 4,768 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:11 PM

M3 powered! Thats pretty mega.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/VQgAAOSwX9...

http://www.ebay.co.u...fcAAOSw-K9ZOBvx

That's amazing
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#130 ONLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 2,811 posts
  • 33 thanks

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:15 PM

Always avoided LR products over the years, fancied one every so often, but never came about - still would for myself, but recently bought daughter a Lexus RX300, 2001 reg - so well built it's untrue - read a couple of reviews saying they are as good as, if not better than a Rangie - never even driven one, so can't comment, but would like to hear others' experiences :)

Have a Lexus RX300 on lpg seems well built but is hanging with rust under the underseal.
Pattern part availability is limited
Mechanically robust
Drives better than standard RRC, not as nice as a 3l Ford Maverick
Fuel consumption broadly similar

#131 OFFLINE   meshking

meshking

• Full Members
  • 741 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationBrooklands banking

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:01 PM

I towed a 1700++ kg caravan from Bristol to Newcastle the other week with my TD5, loaded to the gunnels, air-con running at full tilt. Just over 29mpg. Stunning.

I drove my daughter to her swimming lesson in my p38. Just over 15mpg. Awesome.
  • warninglight likes this

1974 Citroen 2cv

1995 Lotus Elan

1996 Range Rover

#132 OFFLINE   Lord Sward

Lord Sward

• Full Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:13 PM

I used to think I was doing for my bit for the NHS deficit when I drove my Disco V8.  I felt immensely proud.  Now I just slowly gas people with NOx.

• warninglight, meshking and Rusty_Rocket like this

#133 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 5,778 posts
  • 44 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:19 PM

Even with a nasty jerry engine that contains very much want!

#134 OFFLINE   Honey Badger

Honey Badger

• Full Members
  • 967 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:26 AM

Have a Lexus RX300 on lpg seems well built but is hanging with rust under the underseal.
Pattern part availability is limited
Mechanically robust
Drives better than standard RRC, not as nice as a 3l Ford Maverick
Fuel consumption broadly similar

I've got a 2005 RX300 that we have owned for about 4 years now, it's been pretty bullet proof apart from the brakes as it seems to eat discs withe the same appetite that I used to have for Caffreys in the 90s.

Servicing is expensive if you need belts changing, as is replacing the sparkplugs on the V6 as access is a fucker on the back bank plus the plugs are some kind of mega expensive long life jobs and it's probably a good idea the service the gearbox if it's getting close to 100k, mine looks OK underneath but the suspension parts look like they have left in the north sea, which I think is pretty common on most jap cars.

#135 OFFLINE   Rod/b

Rod/b

• Full Members
  • 1,464 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationUnder the bonnet

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:09 AM

This thread has me Swarding ™ Disco 3s. I must be sick in the head or something.
  • AMC Rebel likes this

#136 ONLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 2,811 posts
  • 33 thanks

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:19 AM

I've got a 2005 RX300 that we have owned for about 4 years now, it's been pretty bullet proof apart from the brakes as it seems to eat discs withe the same appetite that I used to have for Caffreys in the 90s.

Servicing is expensive if you need belts changing, as is replacing the sparkplugs on the V6 as access is a fucker on the back bank plus the plugs are some kind of mega expensive long life jobs and it's probably a good idea the service the gearbox if it's getting close to 100k, mine looks OK underneath but the suspension parts look like they have left in the north sea, which I think is pretty common on most jap cars.

Ours is an '02 so might be different but belts are easy, you just need to fetch a mill off a heat shield to be able to change the water pump in situ at the same time.
Plugs are iridium ones cost about £4.50 each, like you say access to the rear bank requires multiple wobble bar extentions.

#137 OFFLINE   Honey Badger

Honey Badger

• Full Members
  • 967 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:23 PM

Ours is an '02 so might be different but belts are easy, you just need to fetch a mill off a heat shield to be able to change the water pump in situ at the same time.
Plugs are iridium ones cost about £4.50 each, like you say access to the rear bank requires multiple wobble bar extentions.

The later RX has fuck all space over the rear bank as its buried right under the dash and the Denso plugs are about a tenner each. I haven't even looked at how easy the timing belt replacement is but it's very tight for space on that side of the engine, the cost for the belts and the water pump for a decent local garage was £450 and it's going to cost about £180 for the plugs to be changed at the next service, which is less than half the price Lexus main dealers quoted. My usual mechanic wouldn't touch it as it's a bastard to work on due to lack of space in the engine bay.

Still I'm impressed by how good it is at soaking miles up on a run and the stress free nature of driving in towns, I think the RX is a bit underated.

#138 ONLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 2,811 posts
  • 33 thanks

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:38 PM

Just out if interest what mpg do you get from yours on a run? Going by the computer the best we've seen is about 28 average on a long run.

But we are on LPG so going full tank to full tank we get about 18/19 round the doors and 24mpg on a run, 19/20 on a run towing, having never run for any time on petrol I didn't know how it compared.

#139 OFFLINE   Honey Badger

Honey Badger

• Full Members
  • 967 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

I've had it upto 30 on a motorway run but it's closer to 19 - 20 mpg round town and going to work. The RX350 with the updated engine is supposed to be better on fuel but I expect it's still horrendous, it's no worse than my old V6 Accord coupe.

I did talk to someone recommended by Gordon Bennett about an LPG conversion, but as I only drive about 4000 miles a year it didn't seem worth it.

#140 OFFLINE   dieselnutjob

dieselnutjob

• Full Members
  • 2,595 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:50 PM

@barmatt; don't rule out the TD5. They sound great and are surprisingly smooth. The scare stories about the electrics are just that provided you avoid ACE as did (but do go for airsprings).

My diagnostic tool does the Td5. Currently it doesn't do the rest of the Disco 2 but one day I intend that it will. They can't be that unreliable because so far I have sold hardly any to LR owners.
  • Rusty_Rocket likes this

Welcome to Autoshite's Closet Peugeot Fanciers Society.

594039.png96811.png 604 blog

Low cost diagnostic tool for Rover, MG & Landrover cars www.pscan.eu

#141 OFFLINE   warninglight

warninglight

• Full Members
  • 306 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationLake District

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:18 PM

Most of the home diagnostic types with TD5s tend to have Nanocoms. They're not cheap but as a simple and self contained unit they're quite good!

#142 OFFLINE   mph1977

mph1977

• Full Members
  • 643 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:47 AM

I have read this about 6 times now and an still no further forward.
What does it all mean?

a 'twin squirrel' is a type of helicopter , i'm guessing the parking was of the very bad  type ... 

#143 OFFLINE   mph1977

mph1977

• Full Members
  • 643 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:52 AM

It did look like it should have black UN letters on it. Talking of infidels the MOD has a fleet of black Toyota pick ups which are regularly seen in our part of the world; often placing signposts at the side of the road (black arrows on white, or white arrows on black) - a dead cert that an exercise is due. These pick ups can either have army or civilian plates and I suspect that a few years ago it would have been a short wheel based Land Rover carrying out this duty. 

probably white fleet   ( as  white fleet all have military format  registration  on  the system and  an associated  ghost  civilian VRN   ) - have an ex  white fleet car and  the VRN that now carries is not the one  it wore when on white  fleet ... and  i suspect it wore it;s ghost civ vrn 99.9% of the time   when in the hands of the MoD)  ( the usual suspects for swapping  are  the  black in colour  larger cars which are allocated  for the use of  a unitssenior officers  which are supposed to be swapped  to mil VRN  if carrying  personnel in uniform  and  on civ plates if  travelling in mufti )

• chodweaver likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users