Quick Clutch Question.

Hendry

This should really be in the modern section as it's about a modern car, but put it here for more responses and because I suppose it's generic to every manual car. Anyway I don't have much clue about this hence asking, my fathers 2013 Mondeo 1.6 TDCi on 75k miles had been making a squeal when releasing the clutch sometimes, it's now progressed to this horrible rattle my dad says, note not all the time, just as he completely lifts his foot off the clutch, pressing it in doesn't bring on the noise and it doesn't do it while idling or when driving, Dad says it sounds like the revs go up too.

Anyway I knew it definitely wasn't the dreaded DMF because there was none of the usual symptoms, his fellow taxi driver mate who does some mechanical work was replacing a broken coil spring on it and had a look/listen and says he reckons it's the clutch release bearing.

Anyway what I'm wondering is can the release bearing be replaced by itself and doesn't need a clutch and flywheel change at the same time?

As I said, no rattly DMF or one which quietens down when the clutch pedal is pressed in, gear change still fine, no slipping clutch or revs going up but speed not increasing, or any other obvious clutch or flywheel wear symptoms.

Its not my car so will be the old mans decision based upon what my mechanic at the garage says when it goes for a service next week and further investigation. I just wanted to know if it was definitely necessary to change the clutch and flywheel too, or just advisable. 

DMF isn't always needed to be changed on all cars. I bought my Civic clutch from Cox Motor Parts, who is a Honda dealer, I phoned them and asked about replacing the DMF too. Their view, as experience as a Honda dealer was that with the 2.2ctdi engine, they sell a lot of DMFs but actually replaced very few.

So my Civic had its clutched changed at 97k, DMF was quiet before. Guys doing it said it had very little play in it. Currently at 138k now and no DMF rattle still.

Newer DMFs apparently are much, much less likely to fail than those from the 2000 era cars. Especially if the clutch isn't left to slip too long (overheats them). Also usually more expensive than the clutch part alone too.

Can the garage not inspect the clutch plates for wear once they have it apart? If moderately worn then replace it then. Should be easy and quick enough for them to get parts on demand for that sort of car+engine.

Clutch release bearings will go on for years even when audible. My Corsa used to make a slight groan from there if you pulled away fast from a junction and didn't use enough throttle, so did my mates Astra.

I wouldn't go throwing money at a new clutch just because the release bearing is a bit noisy, not yet anyway.

This noise is really really loud and awful, it's not just a groan or whatever, it's this noise I've never heard from a car before but it's horrible.

The clutch was making a squeak since my dad got it when you released the pedal, I told him to take it back to the dealer under their paltry 3 month warranty and get it sorted as it's only get worse, he didn't bother his hoop and look what's happened.