Dollywobbler's Bluebird - Buy an award winner! £SOLD

dollywobbler

I guess not, was just hoping there could be a simple and cheap solution for you rather than the faff of having to do a clutch change. I have only ever changed a clutch on RWD stuff as it doesn't look much fun to do on FWD cars but I suppose some cars are easier than others.

One of our customers is using that Evans coolant in his Capri.  Had it in there for over a year now and reported no problems.  Biggest bonus I see is the lack of corrosion inside the engine and rad meaning you can leave the car parked up for months with a full cooling system and not have to worry.

I'll probably stick it in my Granada when I start putting it back together.

Went out for a drive in the Bluebird today. Traffic was a nightmare.

21034510_10155657245613200_2990553694627

Then, I unexpectedly discovered that there was a track day going on at a little-known course not far from me. I headed over. The Bluebird and my pal's BMW 318iS were some of the oldest vehicles there, along with that Volvo 340 - which was turbocharged and very, very quick. I mean, sideways. 

DIQMbTGXgAAhHFL.jpg

I got a passenger ride around the incredibly tight course in this. Over 400bhp, RWD only, MASSIVE turbo. Lag, lag, lag, OMG WE'RE GOING TO DIE!

DIPgPdSW4AAxGWe.jpg

It was brilliant, though it's hard to comprehend that in 1989, Nissan was able to do BONKERS MENTAL like this, and dreary Bluebirds. Needless to say, I didn't take the Bluebird around. 

However, I did have a jolly hoon there and back, marvelling in the substantial grip it now has. I haven't yet found the limits of the new tyres, but I suspect something will break before that happens. Which is why I was a little alarmed when I got a distinct knocking sound as I rounded one, not particularly tight left-hander. I wasn't even going that quickly, because tourist. [Edit - the missing words relate to the fact the tourist was in a Seat, er Leon? Or something.] It was an FR, so I thought it might be quick, but it turns out that's just a 'sporty look' model, so a bit like a Cavalier LX.

I did discover that it will stall in fourth, so I guess the clutch will last a bit longer, even if the bearing still does like a groan first thing. It'll probably be my steed of choice for Cholmondeley next weekend, then Sussex the weekend after, then Manchester, then Sussex again - though given I have other vehicles available, this may vary. Still, I want to put some miles on it (under 900 so far). It's very relaxing now the ride is sorted out. I'm actually looking forward to it.

Bluebird at Cholondeleyeyeoh.

DI0MCFuXkAEze76.jpg

Drive home was interesting. On a rather large roundabout, I decided to push on a bit to test my new tyres. The vast power of the 1.6 litre engine quickly took away grip, and I was dealing with fistfulls of understeer. Er, that's not meant to happen!

After allowing the tyres to cool down on arriving home, I checked the pressures. They're meant to be 29 front, 26 rear. They were actually 32 one side at the front, 35 the other, with both rears over 30. Bit miffed about that. I'll have to go and test them again at some point.

It was very manageable understeer. It didn't go skidding across the road dramatically, just pushed wide and immediately stopped doing it on releasing the pedal somewhat - thankfully without inducing lift-off oversteer. No dabs of oppo needed here. 

Also, the cheap wipers blades are SHIT. To the point I swapped the driver's one for an old one I had in the car. Which was slightly torn. This was an improvement.

yay, washout oversteer induced by incorrect tyre pressure!  It's fun when it happens because you don't know when the steering wheel is going to start communicating with the wheels.  Every time I get tyres fitted I have to check the tyre pressures, they're always boosted up to 35psi+ which is stupid.  Princess tyres run at 26 and 28 factory, no tyre fitter believes you, always boost them up to 34psi "because they're van tyres, right?" which... okay.

Glad you didn't die!

There's a set of Bosch 19's on eBay for £11.50 delivered at the mo, which isn't bad.

Thanks for that tip. Couldn't find the ones you were on about, but found someone selling singles for £4.64! Certainly a lot cheaper than Halfrauds...

The Bosch ones aren't bad in my experience. The Honda has been wearing a pair for a year now, and they're still pretty good.

UGH. Just topped the coolant up, and noticed it was pissing the stuff out from the bottom hose. Not very happy about that. Just a loose clip, so I think I was fortunate not to lose much more on the Cholmondeley trip. 

Went for a drive on the pressure-adjusted tyres, but it's still not exactly secure. Tried an emergency stop in the damp and got a very loud lock-up! Scared the shit out of myself. My overall feel is that these tyres are just too hard, though they only protested when I really hurled it into bends in a way folk with Bluebirds usually don't. I need some roads that don't have a massive drop at the side of them to experiment further.