Dollywobbler's Bluebird - Buy an award winner! £SOLD

dollywobbler

Amys corsa responded well to that. I had the puma at the time and she basically stole it from me and left me the corsa, which after a few weeks I didn't mind so much as it was more economical for me... Heater never worked until I took the hoses off the matrix, put the hose in, nothing happened so I put the hose in the output, nothing happened for about a minute until loads of sludge shot out! Toasty heaters after that!

So, emboldened by the good folk of Autoshite, I did some matrix flushing.

I also needed to attend to the passenger headlamp. The adjusters were seized on the old one, and the reflector was also loose in the casing. Was passed on the understanding that I'd get it sorted pronto, and before driving the car in the dark. I also wanted to straighten out the trim beneath it.

For reference, it was quite bent.

DBuJU2kXYAA4u4t.jpg

The strip-down begins. So easy to work on.

DE2yr2DXUAAZqj7.jpg

And back together again.

DE3EXJtW0AEunUk.jpg

I also adjusted the passenger wiper down a bit. I still didn't like it, so after watching the tennis, I did it again.

DE3czRWXsAA30ys.jpg

The passenger wiper blade is still too small, which is annoying. Not that it really affects the driver, but I may have to do something about that. I'll have to get the headlamp aim checked too. I suspect the new lamp is too low, which is at least better than too high.

yes the wiper is pleasingly within the black zone, please have 5 bonus points

Can I have five more when I actually have the correct sized blade fitted? The wipers work fine. They clear the screen, and I can see, so naturally I've ordered a pair of new blades.

I have also done more video stuff.

I have driven over 190 miles in the Bluebird today. Pretty bored with it, obviously. However, it's been absolutely fine. Coolant level has stabilised. Heater did stop working again though, and the front dampers are horribly shot. Gets a proper patter on at times.

Would like to sell it really, but I'm in for a painful loss, so maybe not.

Back home. I reckon I've done 360 miles since Friday. Even with two trip meters, it's difficult to tell, because the tyres are too small. Should be 80 profile! Chunky. Actually 65, which is why it's doing an indicated 83 at 70.

The dampers need sorting out ASAP though, so I'm not going to be driving it next weekend. Back to the Honda for the Silverstone Classic and Simply Japanese at Beaulieu.

Overall though, very pleased that the engine I put back together survived this trip without issue. Just a bit knackered now, and wondering what the future of this car is. I've certainly not fallen in love with it, but part of me wants to see whether some aftermarket suspension goodies could transform it. The other part of me wants to sell if for far less than it owes me so I can focus on the Proton...

Which car do you want more, the Proton Whatamess or the Nissan Sensible?  It's clear the Nippa, Honda and Elly are in for the long haul, they're each proven in their respective niches.  You've had the Nippa for what seems like forever, it's been surprising how long that's stayed on the Seabrook fleet.

The rub comes with what you get from the Proton and the Nissan.  The Nissan is a sensible, reliable, dependable, well-built car.  The Proton is a double-write-off, multicoloured, rusty, disaster zone that is somehow earning you money because Malaysians love it.  The Proton is dreadful, it really is, that's a big part of its appeal.

The Bluebird is, undeniably, the better car of the two.  That means you'll get more for it than you would the Proton, in fact the Proton is going to be difficult to move on when you do get to that point because they're worth naff all if they're anything less than perfect. With new suspension, an interior deep clean and a machine polish of the paint that Bluebird could net you a decent return, perhaps not what you've invested in it, but you could certainly be cheeky with the asking price.  As more and more traditional classics get out of reach of the first-time buyer, things like the Bluebird become more appealing as a way to get into classic car ownership.

So for what it's worth, I'd advise mothballing the Bluebird for the short term while you focus on the distraction of the Proton before you decide to punt it on too quickly.  It's not doing any harm sitting there while you make up your mind and you may come to regret selling it and focusing on that Proton if you act too swiftly.

Aftermarket 'improvement' options seem limited to fitting Volkswagen Golf coilovers at the front, and good luck with the rear.

So, I've ordered up a full set of standard dampers. I must be mad. If only people from Sunderland enjoyed my Bluebird videos as much as Malaysians love the Proton ones.

Today, I drove over 100 miles to Dudley to get a set of KYB gas dampers fitted to the Bluebird. It was in fine company.

DGOWUuVXcAIygjg.jpg

The garage is DFTR Automotive, a fairly recent start up with some rather lovely facilities and a lot of old Japanese car knowledge - and Rolls-Royces and Mercs if you're that way inclined. Front end took no time at all, thanks to a reassuringly sturdy set of spring compressors. No way I was tackling this job at home.

Back end was a pain in the arse, because you have to remove the rear seat, and it didn't want to come out. 

Lovely drive home though. Sure, it still rides like a Bluebird - hardly the last word in refinement - but I no longer need to clench the buttocks every time I hit a bump in the road. It actually goes around corners now! 

DGPXjVLXYAAqFQE.jpg

Overall, very pleasing. There's half a chance I might actually be able to turn this thing into a decent motor.

How reasonable are DFTR's labour rates for possible future reference? Seeing as they are just 1.2 miles from my house and all.

Think they're officially £40 per hour, but they don't seem the 'fleecey' kind. I think you'd get a fair bit for your £40. Some serious restoration going on, as well as everyday tinkering.

In terms of "too heavy for it's engine", mine responded really very well to the ignition being set perfect, new leads, cap, rotor, plugs gapped right, the valve gaps set right and a cheap free flowing rear exhaust silencer. The stock one is pretty terrible and mine was all blocked up with crap; it's such a large can it doesn't heat up fully, condenses and the carbon muck sticks inside.

Just tuning it up helps a lot though, particularly on how well it pulls through the rev range. It was a bit flat below 2000 but still flexible enough to putz about like grandpa yet it would still pull all the way up to about 8500 rpm where it ran out of steam (valve bounce mostly).

Entire Bosal exhaust front to rear on mine was £60...

Phil

Recent is good :)

Sounds like the second barrel of the carb isn't opening under load properly. Might want to retard the ignition a degree or two also. Mine would pull up the A38 at Redhill (1:9) in fifth at about quarter throttle, and still accelerate if you opened it up a little. Before I timed it up that was flat out in 4th and it had no more to give. Timing was out by 6 degrees.

I have serious LOVE for this bluebird. I have had many, and love them, no idea why. My second car (first i bough myself ) to replace my Skoda Rapid (first car) was an e plate 1.6 Ls non pas 4 door in the very same fetching blue.  Fond memories!  Do you fancy swapping it for a far more desirable FIat STilo JTD  :)