Dollywobbler's Bluebird - Buy an award winner! £SOLD

dollywobbler

I take it you are getting that Evans to test - or not paying for it ?

I've known a few dirt bikes get seized up because of it and it won't help a troubled cooling system at all

Yup. Risking my own head work. The fact the Bluey seems to run cool should keep it happy I hope. And yes, it will be a product test. I'm mostly interested in the longevity - which is silly given the car will be lucky to survive the summer on my fleet. Standard coolant seems horribly short-lived, and horribly toxic.

I still HATE dropping coolant on any car. Thankfully, this one had sod all coolant left in it by the time it got here, on account of water being poured in it to get home.

I'm still not sure exactly what you're meant to do with old coolant. Pretty sure they haven't got anywhere for it at the local* tip. Pretty sure my septic tank wouldn't like it. Pretty sure my car definitely wouldn't cope with it...

Yup. Risking my own head work. The fact the Bluey seems to run cool should keep it happy I hope. And yes, it will be a product test. I'm mostly interested in the longevity - which is silly given the car will be lucky to survive the summer on my fleet. Standard coolant seems horribly short-lived, and horribly toxic.

The only person I know who have used the Waterless coolant is now down one cx turbo prestige.

It runs hotter as the heat capacity is poorer. Yes it won't boil, but it will run the engine far hotter than it's supposed to.

A coolant change is £20 or so every five years. Hardly the end of the world. You can also top it up with water when it's running low. Not something you can do with evans'.

Congrats on the MOT pass. Well deserved.

Any scrap coolant I drain out, I just throw it into the same 25L drum I've got for scrap oil. Eventually when the drums full I take it all to the tip. Nobody there has ever complained about me doing it. I also throw scrap brake fluid in the same drum too. Even if it's wrong it's better than throwing it down a drain or into a bush.

We're some way from the Evans test. I still need to get it watertight...

Went for my longest drive yet. T'was most pretty. The car was about as distinctly average as I remember. Sails along quite nicely, corners tidily at steady speeds, behaves like a fridge-freezer on a trampoline if you start trying to be brisk with it. Parked up because GORGEOUS. And the view's not bad either.

DEjvw8EXoAAHWPx.jpg

At this point, I had a quick puddle check underneath. I'm glad I did. There was one. Drat. I decided to quit sight-seeing and drove home really quickly before all the coolant fell out. Genius.

On my return, I knew where to look. Here!

DEjyELdWsAAUv-h.jpg

To be fair, it was actually attached, but cable ties are no hose clamp substitute, so water was getting out. Second possible reason for HGF identified. Annoyingly, I did spot this while burping hoses, but forgot to replace it with a proper Generic Worm Drive clip. I'll correct that tomorrow.

It may be a while before I trust it enough to slosh the fancy coolant into it.

On the other hand, it seems to pull nicely for a 1.6, even though the ignition timing has been set by TOTAL GUESS. The speedo is hilariously out, but I'm not sure that can be down to the wrong tyres being fitted - 175/65 when it should be 185/70. It does look like it'd benefit from a bit more sidewall. The ride manages to be floaty and slightly jarring at the same time, but the driving position is super-comfy and it's not very loud. Getting there!

Would it be wise to lob a few cycles of water/ecp cheap coolant through whilst the weather's fine and be sure all the hgf is flushed out before putting the not liquid coolant in?

I would say dishwasher tab but I don't know if that will fuck the sorted head up, or if you'd want to after all the work

It maybe worth giving the thermostat a quick coat of looking at with a pan of boiling water whilst the coolant's out, maybe the reason for its temperature issues.

Edit: Cancel this remark, I've just read page 5 of this thread

Aye. I think it's more likely that the thermostat just isn't sitting nicely in the housing. I'll have to see if I can get the housing off again without destroying the gasket. I've been using grease to try and stop it sticking to the sides.

Beko - I certainly won't put the expensive stuff in until I've done a few flushes with fresh water. Will be doing another flush today before refilling.

Right. Cable tie replaced by hose clamp, thermostat housing removed and yes, the 'stat was not sat properly in the housing. With that done, the car now holds temperature properly.

However, the heater still goes cold when driving a long. Oddly, it seems to be warmer at slower speeds. There aren't many (any?) bleed points in the cooling system, so getting all of the air out is certainly tricky, but I'd rather get to the bottom of the chilly matrix before going for the fancy coolant.

Heater going cold at speed - does it have an external air/recirculation switch? The R8 does something similar when it's set to external air.

It does, but I'd still expect the heater to blow hot when set to hot. Especially in summer. I only use the recirc switch very occasionally myself, as it's generally always better to pull fresh air in.

Same here - it's always on external. The main vents seem to be the worst offenders, generally not as much cop for hot air - put it on windscreen, feet or whatever and it's fine.

Whatever I do though the vent by the driver's door always blows cold (even with the fan off!) and the only way to stop it is to turn the vent all the way left - even closing the vent doesn't work!

In most BMWs the centre dash vents blow cold unless its at full heat on the dial.

Keeps you awake and fresh, see;)

I've noticed that in the 316, thought there was something wrong with it, but then shrugged it off. :D

Common on older Vauxhalls too - spent ages trying to bleed the coolant on my old Nova after a full flush as all I got was cold air from the central vents until I realised hot air was coming from the sides and found out it was meant to do that!  On the plus side, in the process I did make damn sure there wasn't a trace of air in the system.

I find internal circ is quite useful on very hot days if you have air con or for travelling through highly polluted areas, but otherwise not that important.

Glad to see this on the road now.