Dollywobbler's Bluebird - Buy an award winner! £SOLD

dollywobbler

Ok, ok. It's getting skimmed. I was prepared to wing it until I saw the erosion on cylinder four. Booked in with a machine shop on Friday. No events this weekend, so if the bits arrive, I might even get it back together in time for Shitefest...

Though given something at the front end feels horribly loose, I wouldn't bet money on it. Balljoint or track rod end I reckon. 

I presume it's only Cat D or C, otherwise they wouldn't have sent you the V5? You can find out which one by starting an ad for it on AutoTrader.

My Camry is Cat C, but FJ weren't worried so long as it had an MoT. The only downside was that they wouldn't give me agreed value on it.

Meh. On to more important matters. CAN HAZ MATCHING WHEELTRIMS! Thanks to Vulgalour for spotting this on Ebay. A tenner isn't bad really.

DAskMIGW0AAlXce.jpg

Another package yielded these goodies, and the thermostat arrived today too. Off to Hargreaves Engineering in Carmarthen tomorrow for head fettling. Could it be running by the end of the weekend?

DAskzTlWsAADGJ3.jpg

Result! How realistic is it to expect to see it at shitefest? Fingers crossed here!

Well, I've got this weekend free, so we'll see how I get on. Has MOT but I'm concerned about a rattle from the front end. Not very easy to jack the car up to investigate at the moment, so first stage is to get it running again. I don't have the timing belt and water pump yet though.

Well, Shitefest ain't going to happen unfortunately. Took the head down to Carmarthen today. In the 2CV, obviously.

DAwAkQyXoAApd9L.jpg

Hargreaves Engineering were a good recommendation from a friend. Adam who runs the place really seems to know his onions, and his dad is ex-Rover (as in ex-Rover before it was ruined by BL).

The head was skimmed - this is the rough-cut.

DAwg8HRXsAA7iT0.jpg

Obviously it was then done to a proper, smooth finish. Did need quite a cut to get rid of the pitting where the gasket had blown. 

The valves were then tested for compression using a vacuum machine. Sadly, two of the inlets and most of the exhausts were not able to hold pressure. That meant I had to return home empty-handed. I'll be posting valve stem seals down, along with a camshaft seal, but won't be able to collect the finished head again until the wrong side of Shitefest. Sorry folks!

• 2 weeks later...

What's that? Actual progress? Well, the head is at least back where it should be - ie at least near the car!

DBuJU2kXYAA4u4t.jpg

I think I'm going to have to chuck it back together with the old belt and water pump. I still plan to replace both, but judging by everything I've seen, it would have been helpful if I'd undone the crank pulley bolt before getting started. I'm now hoping I can at least access the tensioner bolts without having to remove the sodding engine mount.