Dollywobbler's Bluebird - Buy an award winner! £SOLD

dollywobbler

Apart from the leaky/split coolant pipe (that's now fixed...), is there actually anything else with it? Or just no love for it?

At least when it breaks, it gives some fresh material to write about for the next edition!

I think I have fallen a bit out of love with it. Getting the Honda back on the road hasn't helped, as unsurprisingly, the Bluebird feels a bit feeble compared to its twin-cam tool-eater.

Bring it autotesting.

It's probably got enough power and you put new shocks on it. Most courses don't have the off road bit from yesterday.

Borrow a gopro plus mount and do some onboard footage for your YouTube channel.

Get some magazine sponsorship printed up to lob on the sides and use it as a promotional tool.

Then do a feature on Motorsport for less than a ticket for a premier ship football match

Jobs a good un

Bring it autotesting.

It's probably got enough power and you put new shocks on it. Most courses don't have the off road bit from yesterday.

Borrow a gopro plus mount and do some onboard footage for your YouTube channel.

Get some magazine sponsorship printed up to lob on the sides and use it as a promotional tool.

Then do a feature on Motorsport for less than a ticket for a premier ship football match

Jobs a good un

I've already enquired about taking it to my local club, but they sound a bit 'hydraulic handbrake' obsessed. I'm not sure the Bluey is going to fit in.

You can borrow my 720p action cam thing and the 32gb SD card I bought for it if you like! It's got various mounts, mainly a big sticky pad one you can slap on the roof and job done!

Happy to post it out if it helps you have some fun

Thanks, but I have enough camera things. Problem is, the on-board footage is a bit boring, because it just doesn't give a sense of the forces involved! Unless Neil's footage from yesterday says different?

I have spent yet more money on trying to fix this car. 65p.

DKF5PDEXkAA6yKO.jpg

Matrix flushed, again. Nowt much came out. So I filled it with cheap cola. I'll leave that in overnight, flush out tomorrow, and then hastily put it all back together again because if I'm going to use it for my next 600-700-mile trip away, I leave on Thursday morning.

You should have used diet cola, it's sugar free and not as sticky when you want it out again.

I did wonder that, but hate sweeteners to the point I didn't even want to put them in my engine.

Hold on. That's no defence, as the regular stuff has sugar AND sweeteners. Look, I'd just given blood and wasn't thinking straight...

We had similar issues many years ago on a Cherry which had suffered a rather spectacular head gasket failure and overheating incident (things melted...).

Eventually we just made a call and replaced every coolant hose as it seemed every other trip something else went pop. Never had a single problem cooling wise again.

The one thing which does spring to mind, especially with the apparent poor heater flow is has the water pump been checked/changed?

I've seen them (especially where the coolant has been neglected) where the impeller blades have seriously rotted away...which could go a long way to explain why things are going wrong.

Also - radiator cap. Is it the right one for the car? They're usually only a few quid too so worth changing.

If it were my car I think I'd just change the remaining hoses and be done with it...there can't be many so a hose set shouldn't cost the earth, and at least you then *know* that it's a failure mode that should be ticked off the list.

We had similar issues many years ago on a Cherry which had suffered a rather spectacular head gasket failure and overheating incident (things melted...).

Eventually we just made a call and replaced every coolant hose as it seemed every other trip something else went pop. Never had a single problem cooling wise again.

The one thing which does spring to mind, especially with the apparent poor heater flow is has the water pump been checked/changed?

I've seen them (especially where the coolant has been neglected) where the impeller blades have seriously rotted away...which could go a long way to explain why things are going wrong.

Also - radiator cap. Is it the right one for the car? They're usually only a few quid too so worth changing.

If it were my car I think I'd just change the remaining hoses and be done with it...there can't be many so a hose set shouldn't cost the earth, and at least you then *know* that it's a failure mode that should be ticked off the list.

Good shout about about the water pump. Mine sounded as if it was working but the impeller blades were not moving, just the shaft was spinning. That was on a Reliant.

Glad it seems to be looking up! I find with most of the old cars I buy that they're at the point of being in need of a good dose of tlc to bring them back round to being reliable again. I think this poor old Bluebird is just like that by the sound of it. A bit of love, some new parts and a good dose of use is just what they need.

I might steal your coke technique and try it on my Volvo as the heater in that isn't as good as it should be either.

I say drive it down to Sussex and see how it goes! I'm in Hampshire if you get stuck at this end but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Now some pics. On our mammoth journey yesterday, this is the only pic I took. QUALITY

DKQ8v4RXcAAoLyv.jpg

So, today, I went to a garden centre.

DKUbgaQW0AA4D5n.jpg

Then I went to do some 'work.' I only got to drive one of these cars though. 

DKU0NmbWAAE3cAr.jpg

The clutch is still howling on anything but the most gentle of pull-offs, though it's ok, as the new clutch kit arrived on the day we left, so I have it in the boot. I'm sure The AA can fit it roadside if needs be yeah?

Tomorrow, it's off to Herne Bay to camp out before the Oh So Retro Show on Sunday, where the Bluebird will be part of a spectacular gathering of Datsuns and Nissans.

Now over 450 miles and having to seriously nurse the clutch. Hill starts are not much fun. However, gentle driving has allowed me to achieve 37mpg.

I am now in a field with many Nissans, off to meet even more tomorrow.

Check out @HubNutVids’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/HubNutVids/status/911648584025755649?s=09