Dollywobbler's Bluebird - Buy an award winner! £SOLD

dollywobbler

GAH. This thing has just dumped all of its coolant. Accelerated past a tractor and suddenly there was a LOT of steam. I thought it was out of the back, but it was from the front when I stopped.

Big puddle underneath, seemingly from the rear of the engine. Can't follow the hoses but they all look ok. Seriously hoping it isn't a core plug, which is very possible in an engine that's had clear signs of cooling system neglect.

Now awaiting rescue from Mrs DW.

Dislike. This is what worries me about my new Mondy, rebuild the entire cooling system and something related but unexpected happens.

Even a core plug is doable though, I mean this doesn't make economic sense already so a few more quid...

And we're home.

DJdZ_QdWAAAjylZ.jpg

Turns out the top heater hose had split, right near the block. Phew! AA guy trimmed it, reattached it, refilled the cooling system and I was back on my way in minutes.

Of course, the waterless coolant now isn't waterless, but seeing as I'm going to have to change the matrix anyway, that isn't a problem. However, I am now concerned that the matrix may be overstressing the hoses. Is that possible? Or was the hose just weakened by the HGF? I'm meant to be driving it to Bridgnorth and Manchester this weekend, then Kent the weekend after. Confidence shaken...

It's the reality of using an older vehicle as a "daily" sadly, most of its parts are nearly 30 years old and it's been neglected by previous owners.

If you're not bonding with it, roffle time?

I disagree. I've spent many years driving old clunkers, often with far more than 100,000 miles on them. Every now and then one bites me on the arse (Range Rover springs to mind...) but 30 year old cars can be perfectly reliable. If they've been looked after.

I was a fool to buy a car that was so clearly neglected though. I was just to scared it'd go for bangering. More fool me.