Dollywobbler's Bluebird - Buy an award winner! £SOLD

dollywobbler

I have serious LOVE for this bluebird. I have had many, and love them, no idea why. My second car (first i bough myself ) to replace my Skoda Rapid (first car) was an e plate 1.6 Ls non pas 4 door in the very same fetching blue.  Fond memories!  Do you fancy swapping it for a far more desirable FIat STilo JTD  :)

Sorry, no deal.

awww... i shall await a "for sale" thread to appear... 

Well, you know me. Probably won't be long.

However, I am very pleased with how well it looks for a clean.

20525911_10155586137903200_7419082958364

There was a lot of black build up on the paint. I cleaned it with Turtle Wax shampoo (one bucket, OMGZ!), then gave it a dose of Autoglym's Rapid Aqua Wax. It's very flattering stuff. The Bluey really needs a proper cut, so that the paint matches the colour of that in the door shuts, but sod that for a game of soldiers, especially when there's so much bodywork and so much rain. That bonnet is enormous...

I'm not sure if the pictures are flattering it, but that looks really tidy!

I may have been rather sneaky with the choice of angle. Fails to show how mangled the under-headlamp trip is on the offside, how scuffed the bumper is and how the windscreen seal has lifted in the offside top corner. Ah well. Perfection is boring.

Yours being the "facelift" it has a samller sunroof that the E plate ones iirc.  as well as smaller rear vents, and different grill and bumpers. Further geekery,  from memory is that the Japanese build bluebirds, and later primeras ( estates)  were much tinnier. The doors especially, there was a noticeable difference in "shutting noise"  I also remember if you wash it with the heater fans on when you put soap[on it you can get MASSIVE bubbles coming out of those rear vents :)

Yours being the "facelift" it has a samller sunroof that the E plate ones iirc.  as well as smaller rear vents, and different grill and bumpers. Further geekery,  from memory is that the Japanese build bluebirds, and later primeras ( estates)  were much tinnier. The doors especially, there was a noticeable difference in "shutting noise" 

Well, it's five years since I last owned a Bluebird, which was a Japanese one, but both feel very, very solid, in a way many 1980s cars (and many Japanese ones) just don't. If I could find C416 LGK, I think I'd have to buy it back. 

Haynes suggests re-torquing the cylinder head bolts after 600 miles. As I've covered 730 in the Bluebird since getting it back on the road, I thought I'd better crack on.

DGikzshWAAEzb4-.jpg

The annoying aspect is that the head bolts should be reset cold, but the valve clearances should be set hot, so I had to put the rocker cover back on, get it up to temperature, then take it off again. A couple of the clearances were a bit loose, so it was a little tappy. I'd just set them cold first time around, knowing it'd need to be done again later. It's a fair bit less chatty now. Just having a brew, but I'd also like to sort out the manifold-to-downpipe gasket today, which is leaking. The gasket didn't really fit, so I plan to dismantle, smear it in exhaust gunk and refit with a dose of hope. I'm also planning to give the heater matrix another flush.

I should add, the car is on very uneven ground there, hence the suspension disparity! It's to make life easier when I'm bleeding the cooling system later. 

I also have a set of tyres  on the way with the correct profile rather than the horrible 65s currently on the car. They look ridiculous. I've ordered up some 185/70s which should match the correct 165 80s for diameter.

• 2 weeks later...

As you may have seen in the News thread, the Bluebird was being busy as a loan car while we were away, as my mate's Golf got attacked by another car, rendering it fit only for bean tins. He described it as quite a jolly motor car though after the Golf, the Bluebird's brakes almost sent him through the windscreen...

Today, having collected the Bluebird, I set about flushing the matrix again. I did buy some dishwasher cleaner, but wimped out in the end. I just squirted some Fairy liquid into the matrix, gave it a blast of water, left it for a bit, then repeated backflushing, more Fairy, another blast etc, and now it's toasty warm, even at speed with the fan on maximum! I think I'll call that a result then.

I don't mind the Bosozoku look when it's done well, but ripping the bumpers off and sticking some wheelarch extensions over some horribly stretched rubber really doesn't do it for me. I'm so far the other way that tomorrow, my Bluebird will be having HIGH profile tyres fitted to it.

Go and have serious word with yourself for even subjecting us to those photos.

Good god, that's horrendous. Reminds me of when I was on mx5nutz. Every second car on there was in that sort of state.

I still have after market wheels, rear spoiler, funny number plates and pool ball gear knob!

post-4787-0-02440000-1503052165_thumb.jpg

Check out my balloons!

DHh14CQXoAA6TwX.jpg

Bluebird has gone from 165/65 R14 to 185/70 R14, which is the optional size fitted to alloys. I'm obviously still on steelies, but the diameter of these is pretty much the same as the 165 R14s it should have worn - those would have had an 80 profile. Tyres are from Blockley Tyres, who normally make stuff for vintage Rolls-Royces and Jaguars, but are increasingly creating sizes now more difficult to get hold of. Like tyres with actual chunky profiles, and stuff for 12" wheels. Not cheap, so I look forward to seeing how they turn out. Should certainly be better than the RADAR things it was wearing.

It is also on Evans Waterless Coolant now, a free trial due to the day job. There are some very strong views about this stuff (a search on YouTube can be fun), but I'm not saying anything until I've tested it. So far, heater output is even more feeble and the temperature gauge is where it always was, but I've only driven four miles so far. Some big miles ahead of this car in September, so we'll see how it and the tyres perform.

Check out my balloons!

DHh14CQXoAA6TwX.jpg

Bluebird has gone from 165/65 R14 to 185/70 R14, which is the optional size fitted to alloys. I'm obviously still on steelies, but the diameter of these is pretty much the same as the 165 R14s it should have worn - those would have had an 80 profile. Tyres are from Blockley Tyres, who normally make stuff for vintage Rolls-Royces and Jaguars, but are increasingly creating sizes now more difficult to get hold of. Like tyres with actual chunky profiles, and stuff for 12" wheels. Not cheap, so I look forward to seeing how they turn out. Should certainly be better than the RADAR things it was wearing.

It is also on Evans Waterless Coolant now, a free trial due to the day job. There are some very strong views about this stuff (a search on YouTube can be fun), but I'm not saying anything until I've tested it. So far, heater output is even more feeble and the temperature gauge is where it always was, but I've only driven four miles so far. Some big miles ahead of this car in September, so we'll see how it and the tyres perform.

Why the need for the Blockley Tyres? Avon, goodyear etc all make tyres in 185 70 r14 flavour

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Why the need for the Blockley Tyres? Avon, goodyear etc all make tyres in 185 70 r14 flavour

No need, but they've recently added them to the range, and they've been keen for me to test a set of their tyres. They may have been imagining something more glamorous than a Bluebird, but them's the breaks. I just assumed that high profile tyres had become hard to find based on the fact that the Bluebird was on entirely the wrong tyres. Perhaps the people who looked after it previously were just shit.

As said on Twitter, put a Rover V8 in the BlueBird and race the V8 Hyundai for maximum win points. 

It's a lot easier to make a RWD drive car V8 than try to convert a transverse FWD. Ask Rover.

No need, but they've recently added them to the range, and they've been keen for me to test a set of their tyres. They may have been imagining something more glamorous than a Bluebird, but them's the breaks. I just assumed that high profile tyres had become hard to find based on the fact that the Bluebird was on entirely the wrong tyres. Perhaps the people who looked after it previously were just shit.

It's a lot easier to make a RWD drive car V8 than try to convert a transverse FWD. Ask Rover.

Kinda thought that was the case.

Cheap tyres are everywhere now. Seen a very recent bmw 5 series on ditchfinders the other week. 30k car on OMGDEATHWISH tyres?

Just had to nip out in the Bluebird. Noticed it appeared to be making quite a pinking noise. I've had my suspicions, but driving along with the windows open definitely confirmed it. Dug out the old strobe Mat_the_cat gave me YEARS ago, and while I was struggling to get any sense out of it, I reckon it was a good few degrees out. Knocked it back a bit, but then couldn't get any sense out of the strobe at all. However, the engine seems smoother and definitely isn't pinking any more, so I'll consider that 'probably ok.' 

Not sure how I haven't noticed it in the previous 800 miles, but the engine bay is quite well insulated. Plus, until recently, there were clattery tappets and an exhaust leak to mask the noise. So maybe that's how.

The Bluebird is now running on Evans coolant. Heater output seems slightly poorer than it was before (it really wasn't very good in the first place). I can report nothing else. Operating temperature looks much where it was, no kittens have died. Ongoing.

However, I have fears for the clutch. The pedal has always been heavy, and a couple of times, the thrust bearing has squawked its displeasure. The bite isn't the strongest but, with several thousand miles to cover in the next month or so, I don't really want to do the fourth-gear test - ie see if it'll pull away or stall. If it's getting a bit marginal, I don't want to push it.

I am wondering how long it'll last though. I don't really want to have to change a clutch after all I've done so far!