'98 VW Passat £free

Lord Sterling

As requested I have made a seperate thread for this.

As title basically. I scored this vehicle a few weeks ago, during the kollekshun kaypa the battery light came on, literally as I took possession of this vehicle. I *just* about managed made it back to mine and park it before it died on me. It's not moved from where I parked it.

Reason for wanting rid;

I am, along with some other residents and some sneaky visitors who know the area well are currently using the former Doctors Surgery carpark which is very small. The surgery has now been demolished and mostly cleared so I am unsure what will happen with this carpark, hopefully nothing for a while but with my own everydayer and 2 broken cars taking up residents there seems a bit greedy, plus I sometimes have a works car to store (but not often) so really, I'd like to see the back of this Passat.

Originally I was going to offer this car to Ma_Sterling as she was due to come back to the mainland from the IoW for a new job as she was asked to a few interviews, sadly she didn't score any of the jobs and hasn't found nearer the Midlands yet. Due to it's problems, my lack of funds/time/knowledge/arsed means it's got to go. I'd rather spend what little enthusiasm I have left on the Rover and BMW.

post-3572-0-43281000-1492368632.jpg

Known Issues;

â— Alternator - It'll need one of these. The car will probably start and drive with a fully charged battery.

â— Rear footwell leakage

â— Interior needs a clean, seats need a scrub and carpets a hoovering.

â— Small bit of rust bubbling on roof next to guttering on passenger-side.

The Good;

â— Lots of service history

â— Has MOT until 18th August 2017

â— Strong engine

â— Turbo Diesel

â— Everything still works - Or at least they did last time I used them.

â— Could clean up very well

Link to previous thread and pictures;

http://autoshite.com/topic/27528-free-98-vw-passat-tdi-b5-mot-aug/

As I said, it'll most probably start and drive with a fully charged battery.

Price: £free, it came to me for free, it'll go out for free.

Thanks for looking.

Is there some secret society which knows where the demolished doctors' surgery car park in the Midlands is?

Yep, to join you need; to walk around the Clent Hills twice, take a selfie with an angry looking policeman, kick one of those pavement dwelling signs over and wear yellow trousers for a whole day and prove this.

Location included in orignal post.

Just spoke to an shiter, car sold subject to pick up....

Hi Mo, hope your well it a shame things haven't worked out with the Passat.

My Grandad has a similar example [ same age and spec just Estate and Blue ] although not my thing. It isn't a bad motor though think it be up for sale in the next 12 months as he hardly drives now as he struggling with his health. 

If your still doing the trade plate work, have been offered a small van that I'm thinking of getting and fixing up. Providing it's viable that would need moving if your services were available? 

'Tis indeed a shame the Passat is up for going. Had it not decided to shed it's alternator and Ma actually tried and rejected it, I'd have run it myself for a few months and eventually stuck it back up here fully running, washed/waxed/polished but alas it isn't meant to be.

If your still doing the trade plate work, have been offered a small van that I'm thinking of getting and fixing up. Providing it's viable that would need moving if your services were available?

Yeah man, I'm up for that. Where is the van? Presumably it'll be taken to Walsall where you were a few years ago?

'Tis indeed a shame the Passat is up for going. Had it not decided to shed it's alternator and Ma actually tried and rejected it, I'd have run it myself for a few months and eventually stuck it back up here fully running, washed/waxed/polished but alas it isn't meant to be.

Yeah man, I'm up for that. Where is the van? Presumably it'll be taken to Walsall where you were a few years ago?

Hi Mo, I'm still over Walsall way at the same place but the Van is over by Castle Donington near the Junction 24 M1 / A50 Derby.

It's been mentioned to me by my Auntie who has no clue about Vehicles. I only know it's a Ford Fiesta Van and needs work for a Mot but is a good runner.

Was thinking if it's worth the bother could drop it at Burton Upon Trent to a garage my brother knows and see what it needs for a Mot etc.

If they say it no good I have a friend in Tamworth who does Canal Boat repairs who have might have it for the engine as the 1.8 diesel is a popular choice!  

Ok Michael, sounds like a plan. I'm usually available weekends and often Fridays but only after 2pm. Let me know when it needs to be shifted and we'll take it from there.

Actually, if I ask work nicely they might 'end' me up in or near Derbyshire. In fact, I might be near Castle Donnington as early as tomorrow afternoon. PM me your number Mike and I'll keep you posted...

I can arrange delivery of mo to the van if he can get to Derby or there abouts.

Thanks bub was thinking subject to this happening if the Van any good. I could meet him at mine or nearby and take him myself. 

Though if I can't then I'll drop you a message cheers for the offer.

Ok Michael, sounds like a plan. I'm usually available weekends and often Fridays but only after 2pm. Let me know when it needs to be shifted and we'll take it from there.

Actually, if I ask work nicely they might 'end' me up in or near Derbyshire. In fact, I might be near Castle Donnington as early as tomorrow afternoon. PM me your number Mike and I'll keep you posted...

Thank's Mo will PM you my number think it still the same one. 

Am still waiting to get the full details of the exact street etc so I can arrange a day to view it.

I'm hoping it be this Sunday afternoon but won't hold my breath as family communication can be slow and the Van belongs to someone my Auntie know's. So not sure how / when I can make contact. 

Saying all that though, might have done something stupid and bid on a Car that I've seen on ebay tonight that I shouldn't  have. That will need moving as well but we will see what happens! 

Rear footwell leakage will be the drains under the windscreen blocked, or possibly the pollen filter needs resealing. They're common FAILZ on these, quite an easy job to sort and worth doing as there's an ECU of some sort in the o/s/r footwell.

MO, if it's any help I'm driving from Ludlow to Draycott in the Clay, Derbyshire twice tomorrow. It's all a bit of a rush but I should be leaving Ludlow @ 7:45am and 13:00ish. Won't have time to deviate much from the route though so you would need to get yourself to this side of the hill.

Cheers man. It's down to Bunside to let me know when his van is sorted. Looks like it might be Friday next week.