Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Yokohama Tyres - Any Good?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   dave21478

dave21478

• Full Members
  • 2,874 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationFrance

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:07 PM

Stupid question amnesty, please.

Why does a 2 litre family saloon have 225/45/17 tyres?

My 2 litre family estate has 185/65/14s and I find those overkill.

Partly because "powerful visual stance" or some such marketing bullshit and partly because cars are designed by morons and lack decent handling characteristics, which they make up for by putting ultra-wide tyres on so there is loads of grip (which peope mistake for good handling) right up until there suddenly isnt and you have no fucking hope in hell of correcting the slide.

Its all a moot point anyway. Give it another three or four years and "tyre particulates" will be the new thing killing everyone, and we will have to either go back to 145s or some new and "improved" technology with fantastic eco green cred, but will likely be worse overall anyway.

• Lacquer Peel, Dave_Q and AMC Rebel like this

#32 OFFLINE   Junkman

Junkman

Salad is what food eats

• Full Members
  • 34,912 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationStockport, England

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:25 PM

The return of sanity, reason and common sense isn't even considered?

1970 Rover P6 V8..........................................................blue in colour
1970 Rover P6 V8........................................................white in colour
1971 Mercedes 280SE............................................................fucked
1979 Mobylette AV89............................................................running

1985 Ford Granada 2.8 Ghia X......................................The Beast Estate
1991 Jaguar 4.0 Sovereign.........................with fresh MoT and fucked wings
1997 Peugeot 405 2.0 Executive Estate...................................almost mint

#33 OFFLINE   dave21478

dave21478

• Full Members
  • 2,874 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationFrance

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:33 PM

Of course not. That is not profitable.

Rich-man-seyi-s-adesina-blog-nigeria-no.

#34 OFFLINE   Sigmund Fraud

Sigmund Fraud

Unlicenced Phrenologist

• Full Members
  • 2,063 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationComfy Chair

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:51 PM

One thing's for sure, they don't make them like they used to :

69michelinxtires.jpg

40000 miles !

#35 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 1,799 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:07 PM

Thats interesting because the Barums on my car caused steering wheel shakes and were 4 and 6mm on the front, I had my brakes checked, suspension, wheel bearings and all ok, had a 4 wheel alignment done, all the wheels checked for flat spots, buckles etc. and all the wheels balanced and all good but still got the steering wheel shakes, sounds like this could be why. 

The Barums on my Sierra and my A3 were fabulous at simulating wheel bearing failure.

1994 Range Rover Classic "The Crying Pumpkin"

2000 Ford Mondeo Verona 1.8 pez 

2000 Ford Puma 1.7 - Roffled and now with new AS owner

1968 AMC Rebel SST convertible (working and road legal but in limp home mode)

1967 AMC Rebel SST convertible (superior body and originality being slowly raided for spares for the '68) Off road for at least the last 25 years

1956 Chevy 210 4 door hardtop - bought in 2000 and still in my garage - I even do a bit of work on it occasionally - long term project

2005 MG ZT-T awaiting completion of engine transplant of spare V6 after OMG HGF on the engine that "never has that problem"

2005 Land Rover Discovery - for long trips and moving engines 

#36 OFFLINE   Hendry

Hendry

Hendry

• Full Members
  • 1,206 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationGlasgow-ish

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:09 PM

Isnt it like everything these days, not made to last long so youll need to spend out on new stuff thus keeping the companies concerned in business?

If we got cars which lasted 15years again at least like mid 90s cars, tyres capable of 40k miles, white goods and electricals like tv's which lasted longer than the current stuff which lasts about 5 years, a lot of people would be out of work.

Previous Car History:

97 R Vauxhall Astra 1.6 LS

02 51 Peugeot 206 1.4 LX

04 04 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

98 S Hyundai Accent 1.3 Si Coupe

05 55 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SXi

02 52 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Comfort

97 P Volkswagen Golf 1.4 SE

05 05 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Design

09 59 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

15 15 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SRi

09 09 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 CR TDi Sport 140bhp (Current)

#37 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 1,799 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:10 PM

Partly because "powerful visual stance" or some such marketing bullshit and partly because cars are designed by morons and lack decent handling characteristics, which they make up for by putting ultra-wide tyres on so there is loads of grip (which peope mistake for good handling) right up until there suddenly isnt and you have no fucking hope in hell of correcting the slide.

Its all a moot point anyway. Give it another three or four years and "tyre particulates" will be the new thing killing everyone, and we will have to either go back to 145s or some new and "improved" technology with fantastic eco green cred, but will likely be worse overall anyway.

Good points - also now that stability control is mandatory, manufacturers have to worry even less about handling characteristics.

I tried to get the back of my A3 to slide on a quiet evening on a back road I know well (to get a feel for the limits) - but the stability prog took over

1994 Range Rover Classic "The Crying Pumpkin"

2000 Ford Mondeo Verona 1.8 pez 

2000 Ford Puma 1.7 - Roffled and now with new AS owner

1968 AMC Rebel SST convertible (working and road legal but in limp home mode)

1967 AMC Rebel SST convertible (superior body and originality being slowly raided for spares for the '68) Off road for at least the last 25 years

1956 Chevy 210 4 door hardtop - bought in 2000 and still in my garage - I even do a bit of work on it occasionally - long term project

2005 MG ZT-T awaiting completion of engine transplant of spare V6 after OMG HGF on the engine that "never has that problem"

2005 Land Rover Discovery - for long trips and moving engines 

#38 OFFLINE   Lacquer Peel

Lacquer Peel

• Full Members
  • 7,434 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:19 AM

Only for those in Iran.

Peugeot-405.-picture-courtesy-of-Peugeot

#39 OFFLINE   Hendry

Hendry

Hendry

• Full Members
  • 1,206 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationGlasgow-ish

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:48 AM

Good points - also now that stability control is mandatory, manufacturers have to worry even less about handling characteristics.

I tried to get the back of my A3 to slide on a quiet evening on a back road I know well (to get a feel for the limits) - but the stability prog took over

Can disable it completely in most cars though!

Previous Car History:

97 R Vauxhall Astra 1.6 LS

02 51 Peugeot 206 1.4 LX

04 04 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

98 S Hyundai Accent 1.3 Si Coupe

05 55 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SXi

02 52 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Comfort

97 P Volkswagen Golf 1.4 SE

05 05 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Design

09 59 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

15 15 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SRi

09 09 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 CR TDi Sport 140bhp (Current)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users