Yokohama Tyres - Any Good?

Hendry

Stupid question amnesty, please.

Why does a 2 litre family saloon have 225/45/17 tyres?

My 2 litre family estate has 185/65/14s and I find those overkill.

Partly because "powerful visual stance" or some such marketing bullshit and partly because cars are designed by morons and lack decent handling characteristics, which they make up for by putting ultra-wide tyres on so there is loads of grip (which peope mistake for good handling) right up until there suddenly isnt and you have no fucking hope in hell of correcting the slide.

Its all a moot point anyway. Give it another three or four years and "tyre particulates" will be the new thing killing everyone, and we will have to either go back to 145s or some new and "improved" technology with fantastic eco green cred, but will likely be worse overall anyway.

Thats interesting because the Barums on my car caused steering wheel shakes and were 4 and 6mm on the front, I had my brakes checked, suspension, wheel bearings and all ok, had a 4 wheel alignment done, all the wheels checked for flat spots, buckles etc. and all the wheels balanced and all good but still got the steering wheel shakes, sounds like this could be why. 

The Barums on my Sierra and my A3 were fabulous at simulating wheel bearing failure.

Isnt it like everything these days, not made to last long so youll need to spend out on new stuff thus keeping the companies concerned in business?

If we got cars which lasted 15years again at least like mid 90s cars, tyres capable of 40k miles, white goods and electricals like tv's which lasted longer than the current stuff which lasts about 5 years, a lot of people would be out of work.

Partly because "powerful visual stance" or some such marketing bullshit and partly because cars are designed by morons and lack decent handling characteristics, which they make up for by putting ultra-wide tyres on so there is loads of grip (which peope mistake for good handling) right up until there suddenly isnt and you have no fucking hope in hell of correcting the slide.

Its all a moot point anyway. Give it another three or four years and "tyre particulates" will be the new thing killing everyone, and we will have to either go back to 145s or some new and "improved" technology with fantastic eco green cred, but will likely be worse overall anyway.

Good points - also now that stability control is mandatory, manufacturers have to worry even less about handling characteristics.

I tried to get the back of my A3 to slide on a quiet evening on a back road I know well (to get a feel for the limits) - but the stability prog took over

Good points - also now that stability control is mandatory, manufacturers have to worry even less about handling characteristics.

I tried to get the back of my A3 to slide on a quiet evening on a back road I know well (to get a feel for the limits) - but the stability prog took over

Can disable it completely in most cars though!