Genuine Granada Greenhouse Gassing Granadaland - The Beast Estate leaves the GGG - Caution: No P6 Content!

Junkman

The camshaft wear happened to me only once, on a 2.3 with 249k.

Colognes sounding slightly tappety after valve adjustment is actually a good sign.

The problem is, that the valve clerance becomes smaller over time, i.e. is reduced to none. This means the valves potentially don't fully close anymore,

leading to all kinds of funny disturbances of the gas flows and oscillating gas columns this engine is designed with.

In extreme cases, the valves can then overheat and burn away. So after I adjusted the valves on these, I actually want to hear a bit of confirmation from them.

They are nice though. Over the winter of 1988/89, I had the use of an X reg 2.3 Consort, four speed manual and a sort of GL spec with the wood* facia appliqué. She was Forest green over ice(?) green, velours and so on. 200'000 miles, a heater that would melt shoes and a fine all round car. That's one car Ford really did get right first time. The 1986 Scorchio 2.8i Ghia I had was also an excellent and very underrated car. The ride was probably better than an XJ6. Like the Mark 2, it was very well built and rot resistant.

Right. Where do I start?

For one thing, believe it or not, but these do run a lot better if you actually replace all six plug leads, not just a random figure below that.

Secondly, the emissions test result told me that it is running on a way too weak a mixture.

The more I won the staring at it contest, the more I remembered about Pierburgs and one of those things is, that the only thing you can actually adjust is the idle air bypass.

But I also remember some old Ford farts who probably long since waited for Roger Moore joining them at the eternal pub telling me, that this actually somehow regulates the mixture for the entire range. So I just richened it up until it ticked over smoothly and then another turn for good measure and better Climate Improvement©.

The next thing I remembered is that the auto choke is actually adjusted when the engine is warm. I did that and it was no less than about 45 degrees out.

The result is that the car now starts after a quarter turn no matter what the temperature is, it ticks over like silk with cream and it's running smooth like a turbine.

There is only one thing left now. Occasionally, it does hesitate for a moment when you just tap the pedal. I think it's either the accelerator pump, the power valve, or the anti stall device.

One of those diaphragms could have become a bit weak. I will see whether it persists, if it does, it's something I can look after while improving© The Climate in Ireland®.

Or get used to and ignore, whichever comes first.

Oh, and I think the water pump is pissing itself.

Well done! Glad you got it going again.

Can't explain the odd HT leads though? I put a full set on it a few years ago along with the cap and rotor arm. God knows what's happened there!?

There was a new spare water pump with the car, I think I put it in the boot? The bearing used to weep a bit sometimes.

Erm, someone from the GGG failed to put the lead back on yesterday afternoon...

Do not worry, we also manage to immobilise perfectly fine automobiles by forgetting to put the rotor arm back in,

which regularily causes half an hour of panicking and troubleshooting stuff that isn't broken.

Yes, there is a brand new water pump included. Time to snap off some bolts?

once had a 30 minute panic working out why a recently serviced stag would not play nicely.

eventually found that the springy carbon contact in the centre of the dissy cap was missing. just the spring remained which was occasionally sending a long distance spark to the rotor and subsequent very shit running

I kept removing the cap and looking, had all the leads off and back on again, plugs out and back again, switched the rotor and eventually swapped the original cap back on when it purred into life, even then it took me a minute to realise the fault

bastard reproduction shit 

I think this stateside Granada needs a bit of JM patent V8 powerhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZMB3NKRjmM

Very nice, though I do prefer the previous gen Granada's.

All the best cars bounce and glide along like that! My Mercury is exactly the same. It's just so comfortable though, you'd think it'd make you sick but it doesn't. Never mind Citroen suspension, the yanks had it right!

First Skizzer doesn't want to give me the keys, then Conelrad doesn't want to give me the keys, now the Junkwoman doesn't want to give me the keys.

For fucks sake!

Note: Don't even think about asking me whether you can have a spin with this car.

Everyone loves this car! They shouldn't given it's looks but everyone I knew when I had liked it too, and it drives so well... in fact I think I'm completely off my tree to have sold it!

• 1 month later...

Just imagine if Ford had fitted these with a small block V8, it would tick every JM box, lord gears, velour, pre 1987 and V8, and of course a cig lighter

I thought this too, even when the Granadas were new. A 302 or a 351 Ghia Mk1 or Mk2. Not that difficult to do. FFS a basic spec but heavy duty Mk1 72-75 Consul GT with a 429. :-)

My ideal car.

But it was not to be.

The SA Perana Mk1 Granadas were pretty cool, very understated. (I won't post a link but worth Googling if you haven't seen them before).

The Beastestate has herewith been sold to two Autoshite ex-members.

So shut the fuck up and stop slagging me. Even I am just a human.

Sounds like it's in good hands and that's the main thing. Who was it that bought it if you don't mind my asking?

Oh, and when is LTD collectioneering taking place!

I thought this too, even when the Granadas were new. A 302 or a 351 Ghia Mk1 or Mk2. Not that difficult to do. FFS a basic spec but heavy duty Mk1 72-75 Consul GT with a 429. :-)

My ideal car.

But it was not to be.

The SA Perana Mk1 Granadas were pretty cool, very understated. (I won't post a link but worth Googling if you haven't seen them before).

You could buy an XD Falcon or Fairmont with a 302 or 351 most people would think it was a granny.