1995 Peuegot 405 GLX 1.8 Estate £250, Reading

bramz7

So this is my first time doing one of these....
So long story short, something French (obviously) and on my buy list came up cheap and local*. I agreed to buy it without even viewing it and put down a refundable deposit as soon as I could. Owners had it a fair while and is selling due to old age/retirement.
Right now I'm on a bus. I got given a student ticket for people under 20. I'm 26 years old....

Now you have me interested!  Looks very much like an after-market cruise fitment?  Must be 'cos Peugeot only fitted cruise to automatics or STI 2.0 manual petrols.

Does it work?

Owner said so. I dare not try it...yet. It is after market as you say, what a weird choice of third party option.

Very nice.

Is there going to be any 90s French motor you haven't owned by the end of the year?

Haha, to be fair I think I've got the dream lineup now, but the AX will be up for sale when I move out.

I'd quite like a Xantia or 306 at some point but they can wait.

attachicon.gif1494682894339762548786.jpg

Somebody once told me this is one of the worst places near Southampton. I also generally dislike Southampton.

I once got chased out of Romsey by some blokes wielding scaffolding poles, for not knowing which day was market day. I'm not making this up.

You were lucky to get out of there with all your limbs unbroken, never mind with a nice 405.

I once got chased out of Romsey by some blokes wielding scaffolding poles, for not knowing which day was market day. I'm not making by this up.

You were lucky to get out of there with all your limbs unbroken, never mind with a nice 405.

Thankfully I was picked up from the station, so didn't get to meet the charming locals. 

Anyway, more photos:

33826428753_01003cf8e0_c.jpgMy 1995 Peugeot 405 GLX. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

33793239124_323c687686_c.jpgMy 1995 Peugeot 405 GLX Estate. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

33826423803_bfedc83cd7_c.jpgMy 1995 Peugeot 405 GLX. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

Not bad for £250 eh. 

98k, MOT until November, some reasonable advisories last time but I'll get those sorted.

Still feel bad for the previous owner seeing a car of 20+ years drive away must be a bit heart wrenching....

We've had two GTX pez estates now one was a G plate auto and the other a H manual and both never put a foot wrong.

My dad bought his first one purely by accident and it was an ex high miler company car that had a new engine fitted by Peugeot at around 100000 miles and still looked and drove like a new car.

He was in the local co-op car park when the owners wife couldn't get in a parking space so my dad said to the lady do you want to sell it and she agreed on the spot so he had that car for a few years but he was a bit of a Peugeot fan beforehand as he was driving a lovely 309sr at the time but when he sold the 405 he regretted it straight away so I found him a low miler manual about a year later which he also kept for a couple of years.

He also regretted afterwards selling that one but by that time finding a decent non builder van 405 estate was like finding a needle in a haystack and he didn't need a large car anymore, but it looks like you've got the holy grail with that beauty and for 250 quid it's a no brainer.

His first one also had a tow bar on it although we only used it once to pick up a ride on mower on a massive old army trailer for my mate on a 100 odd mile journey you wouldn't know it was carrying any weight so the pez engine seems up to the job.

Very nice!

I've wanted to lick a 405 for a while. I was thinking about them a couple of years back, as a replacement for my 306!

A friend at uni had a 405 saloon turbo diesel, in a weird pale green metallic colour, and it had a purple velour interior, with mirror tints on the rear windows, 205 GTi pepperpot wheels, and it ran on veg oil. That thing was fucking ace.