Driving Habits: What's Your Pauline Quirk, Guv?

UmBongo

The modern idea of not using the gears to slow is bloody stupid. Especially when you get onto bigger stuff with air brakes, no revs for ages means you run out of air & get stuck.

The reason for using the brakes rather than going down through the gears is purely for the brake lights. When I was a driving instructor (25 years ago) I was taught that the first job of the brake pedal is it puts the brake lights on then it slows/stops the car.

Obviously when I taught Chuck to drive she was taught to use the gears to not rely on the brakes as well as to press the brake a little to show the lights.

Also Mercrocker, you don't need to indicate if no one will benefit but it does include pedestrians. This is (possibly was?) taught in Roadcraft the police driver training.

I clutchless change as much as possible.Easier on some than others tho'.Contrary to popular belief it doesn't knacker the gearbox if done right.215k on a mk3 Astravan proved that.Used to get 100k+ out of a clutch and that was driving around that there London all day. (was a van courier).

Guest Hooli

The reason for using the brakes rather than going down through the gears is purely for the brake lights. When I was a driving instructor (25 years ago) I was taught that the first job of the brake pedal is it puts the brake lights on then it slows/stops the car.

That makes perfect sense & I sometimes do brake just enough to light the lights while slowing using engine braking. The same as I'll keep the brake lights on at the back of queue after applying the handbrake until there is another car behind me.

TBH unless 'pushing on' most of the time you don't need the brakes as you should be looking far enough ahead just to lift off & slow for stuff.

.... and i like to leave keys in ignition so i dont lose them.

For years I used to take the keys out of the ignition and leave them on the floor beside the seat and handbrake.

Couple of years ago I borrowed a newish Peugeot Citroen van. Fecker automatically locked me out after a few minutes. Hired van for a day and I had a tight schedule and pre-arranged things to do which involved others who had gone out of their way to help me that day. Of course my phone was in the van.

^ They don't normally do that,  the auto locks on ours kick in at 10mph which is handy as I often leave the keys in.

I'm another who likes to avoid braking and accelerating down hills.  I live on top of a big hill and have taken to leaving the car in 3rd to whine it's way down rather than constantly braking on the single track bit.  Next there is a faster bit that 4th will see me sitting at 60mph,  a dot of brakes for the tight bend at the bottom then a blip of throttle before knocking it out of gear to coast at 60mph for the next 2 miles into town.

I only use the crutch, sorry cLutch, to pull away in first. As soon as the clutch fully bites, on tickover, then I give it the gas. This saves spinning the plates, which, as we all know, wears them out. Then get the revs right and it will drop in to second etc.

I take it to the, as some will think, the extreme by driving along the rows, slowly on tick over, in a supermarket car park to find where I can drive through the first space and park in the second. negating the need to reverse, which as we all know is the worst for crutch wear.( fnar?) 

I changed my crutch (fnuh?) last year after 16, years, and about 10k a year. Which was on my venerable van when I got it. I could have got another 4/5 years out of the plate, it was the springs that went breasts heavenward. French springs! tuh!

Also I use the brakes rather than changing down, but then as someone has already said break pads are cheap enough and keeping a nice distance helps a lot. 

I always have my sun visors down, even during winter.

I always lower the driver's window before getting out if the engine's running , again previous experience of cars , Rover 800s and a Maser Biturbo , locking themselves when slamming the door.

When advance braking from high speed, changing down through the gears to lower the speed instead of using the brake ensuring the whole transaction is carried out as smooth as possible.

Making a conscious decision not to indicate unless there is anybody to actually benefit from the information.    Don't know where that came from.

All of those ones.

I've never really paid any attention to the volume numbers on the stereo, but I have to the on/off symbol on the volume knob upright.

Following the rules. I never let anyone out, and don't pull out when someone lets me out.

Always drive with only one hand on the steering wheel, left hand usually rests on the handbrake of gearstick because my left arm is leaning on the armrest.

I cant have the stereo on volume 13, any other number is fine.

I always have the lights and wipers set to auto setting. and the auto dimming rear view mirror switched on.

Heater is always in the middle between hot and cold, on fan speed 2 with the air direction setting at the windscreen, unless its really warm then ill open a window, very occaisionally change to colder air, because in my current car my chosen heater settings have the added bonus of all the dials pointing in the same direction which pleases my OCD.

Always have both sunvisors down even when its dark, wet or raining.

I drive a bit too fast except in built up areas.

I follow the car infront too closely, not even close to it being tailgating because I despise that, but closer than I should.

I always listen to music on a very loud volume, and the settings need to be bass and treble up as far as they can go, with mid range setting in the middle of the 0 position and the highest position.

Always have my seat adjusted to the lowest height it can go on the height adjuster, I like to feel surrounded by the interior and controls rather than on top of them and too high up.

I was told by an advanced driving bloke that it's better to slow down with brakes than gears, because it's cheaper to replace brake pads than a clutch.

The lights make sense too, but equally on a long incline I'll hold it in a lower gear as it's easier to control speed.

That's the current bullshit. As I've rarely had to replace a clutch, I'll continue to ignore this 'wisdom.' Did cause some argument when I was being MiDAS trained for the minibuses. Sorry, but I just prefer to be in the correct gear at all times, so that means downchanging when slowing down. I'll rev match a bit if I can, especially on the buses and 2CV for smoothness. I will touch the brakes if someone is too close behind me as I slow, and always hold my foot on the brake if I'm the last car in a queue, even if the handbrake is on.

I'll often downshift in autos too. No idea if this is any good for them, but again, I like that extra bit of control, and to take a bit of strain off the brakes. 

Going down steep hills, I will NEVER hold my foot on the brake continuously, and cringe when I see people doing it. I also cringe when I see people with their wipers going when it's not actually raining. Haven't quite stopped someone to tell them, but came close recently...

Don't like windows open.

Don't drive very fast generally, though I try to be considerate.

Coast whenever appropriate.

And use my push bike whenever I can.

All this stuff about choice of numbers on the stereo, wow, that is really something.  I'm a bit OCD but that takes it to another level.

Gearing a car down for steep hills. I occasionally have to pass through Porlock Hill, the amount of people who go down it in 4th, foot on the brakes is unbelievable.

Had a right row with a so called 'instructor' years ago who said you ought to sit on the brakes as they were cheaper to replace than a clutch. Absolute bollocks, so long as you are in the right gear you'll be fine holding the car on the gears.

That's the current bullshit. As I've rarely had to replace a clutch, I'll continue to ignore this 'wisdom.' Did cause some argument when I was being MiDAS trained for the minibuses. Sorry, but I just prefer to be in the correct gear at all times, so that means downchanging when slowing down. I'll rev match a bit if I can, especially on the buses and 2CV for smoothness. I will touch the brakes if someone is too close behind me as I slow, and always hold my foot on the brake if I'm the last car in a queue, even if the handbrake is on.

I'll often downshift in autos too. No idea if this is any good for them, but again, I like that extra bit of control, and to take a bit of strain off the brakes. 

Going down steep hills, I will NEVER hold my foot on the brake continuously, and cringe when I see people doing it. I also cringe when I see people with their wipers going when it's not actually raining. Haven't quite stopped someone to tell them, but came close recently...

Yeah. I was taught that gears are primarily for the speed of the vehicle, with exceptions of steep grades and/or towing.

Check your mirrors before changing speed, both up and down to look for people about to pass or those who are already trying to pass. Signal your decrease in speed by touching the brakes to bring on your lights as a useful indication to those following you. Brake for extended periods in an emergency only. Also, if you see a situation ahead where you are going to have to brake, test your pedal and see if it still works, especially after a high speed, long run where there's a possibility a binding brake has boiled up the fluid and made the system ineffective. If your brakes don't work, your maneuver far ahead enough of time should allow you to slow the vehicle by alternative means (gears if distance allows, scrubbing wheels against curbstone as an emergency, though avoidance is preferable if possible).

None of the above should be considered "advanced" driving.

Phil

In a manual I slow with gears too, infact in the puma it seized 2 calipers up because I rarely brakes harder than just coming to a halt.

Its something of a change in the gooner to have to use the brakes more, as it doesn't slow much when I ease off. The xantia dropped speed significantly when I let off the throttle.

Guest Hooli

If you want the goona to slow on the gears, flick it into M & flap the paddles. The torque converter stays locked up in M.

I don't have any paddles. I could flick it into M and push it down, but I'm in an auto, I shouldn't have to do anything. I don't read about junkman having to manually make his auto drop down!

Ive enjoyed pausing in R when going from P to D at lights though, forgot what the surprised looks from the cars behind was like!

I keep my left foot held lightly on the clutch pedal most of the time. I do this even if I have a foot rest to hand(foot).

I thought I was the only weird sort to do this - I feel better now the ''rest foot on clutch'' club has doubled its membership :-)

Guest Hooli

I don't have any paddles. I could flick it into M and push it down, but I'm in an auto, I shouldn't have to do anything. I don't read about junkman having to manually make his auto drop down!

Ive enjoyed pausing in R when going from P to D at lights though, forgot what the surprised looks from the cars behind was like!

I thought I'd seen paddles on the wheel in some pics? I just assumed as it's the same box as my Saab it'd have the same.

I suppose it is ok if you don't actually press very hard.  I was amazed at a reasonably 'technical' friend slagging off his girlfriend for allowing her car to slog in slightly too high a gear, as it would damage the clutch. 

I didn't think she was doing the car any harm at all.  OK, it didn't accelerate much.  I preferred it to his driving, which was a constant grand prix and hardly relaxing.

Guest Hooli

The weight of your foot on the cutch is enough to wear the release bearing.

ETA too low revs isn't bad for the clutch, but it can waste fuel oddly enough.

I clutchless change as much as possible.Easier on some than others tho'.Contrary to popular belief it doesn't knacker the gearbox if done right.215k on a mk3 Astravan proved that.Used to get 100k+ out of a clutch and that was driving around that there London all day. (was a van courier).

I once drove a van round for a week without using the clutch. It was after I found out they'd fiddled me out of some holiday hours that I was due to take prior to me leaving the company. Started to get the hang of it by the tail end of the week...

Yeah. I was taught that gears are primarily for the speed of the vehicle, with exceptions of steep grades and/or towing.

Check your mirrors before changing speed, both up and down to look for people about to pass or those who are already trying to pass. Signal your decrease in speed by touching the brakes to bring on your lights as a useful indication to those following you. Brake for extended periods in an emergency only. Also, if you see a situation ahead where you are going to have to brake, test your pedal and see if it still works, especially after a high speed, long run where there's a possibility a binding brake has boiled up the fluid and made the system ineffective. If your brakes don't work, your maneuver far ahead enough of time should allow you to slow the vehicle by alternative means (gears if distance allows, scrubbing wheels against curbstone as an emergency, though avoidance is preferable if possible).

None of the above should be considered "advanced" driving.

Phil

This sounds like something from the 1940's!

I'd be like a nodding dog if I checked my mirrors everything I changed gear in the 950.

Yo, gears Vs brakes brigade: what about cars with freewheel? As any aficionado will tell you, 'all cars should have it' because it allows you to maintain consistent speed whilst covering the brakes read to slow. Down changing (never with the clutch, it's redundant) won't slow the car because it doesn't mesh until the engine slows to optimum speed for that gear.

I do slow down with gears btw, but I also love freewheels

Guest Hooli

Apparently it's possible to change gear in a diesel without using the clutch, witnessed one of our drivers doing it in one of our 12 plate Fiat Ducati 2.3 Multijet single car transporters.

Diesel/petrol/unicorn piss makes no difference, it's just a case of matching the revs.