Insurance complaint thread of the month.

Jim Bell

Have we had one yet?

My renewal for a modern Mondeo has gone through the roof for no reason I can see.

Never made a claim ever, 3 years no claims (I know its not much) and a ropey ish postcode, car kept on road. Im having bother finding anything affordable though the usual routes of quote. Most non Compare site companies are coming back over a grand. Compare sites not a great deal less.

Is anyone on here an actual broker, or know an actual broker that might be able to weave magic?

Bloody Ell that is a jump. Can only think something has happened in them postcode lottery crap that insurance company types use to extort, sorry, calculate your premium from. At least I bet that's the excuse they will come up with as well as the old tax bullshit.

I recommend that you shop around a bit more. Mrs.F received a renewal quote of £700 last week, a quick online search dropped this to £500 and a bit more digging eventually got it down to £350.

When you say a quick online search, what did she do exactly? Ive exhausted pretty much every avenue I can conceive of, other than speaking to an actual human broker.

W2 try an outfit called 'Chris Knott' - they are a broker I use and have done for several years - they have very good premiums and work on the basis of beating your best quote by at least 10% - often more,

The only time in the last ~8 years they've not been able to give me the best quote I could get without ringing EVERY company in the entire world was after I stuffed a Skoda into the back of a Vauxhall Insignia on the M27 one wet morning in February 2011. totally my fault and accepted as such. The following year swiftcover were slightly cheaper and CK wouldn't beat it as I'd had a fault claim in the previous 12 months.

http://www.chrisknott.co.uk/

They do lots of 'owners club' schemes. Sadly AS it not yet recognised, though its only a matter of time...

When you say a quick online search, what did she do exactly? Ive exhausted pretty much every avenue I can conceive of, other than speaking to an actual human broker.

A couple of comparison websites, then getting quotes directly from all the large company websites. It sounds like you've already done this, though.

Why not do a google search for insurance brokers in your area, and give them a ring tomorrow ? Also, if Mrs.Wilson has a better NCB than yourself, some companies are happy to mirror it (i.e. LV).

Have you tried lying?

Mrs_Pillock got a renewal for £640 for the Touran through Admiral.

I went online and got a quote from Quote Me Happy for £290, same terms.

She phoned Admiral armed with a threat to go elsewhere, they asked what the best quote she got was and they got theirs down to £310 which was close enough to not bother changing and having to email off proof of NCB etc.

However, they never even asked who the other quote was with. Just invent one and phone them. Make it halfway believable like, not "20p a year and they give me a free foot massage every month"

Swinton, who were happy enough to insure me on Huggy last year, have recently sent me a "renewal" letter telling me they can't offer me cover this year.  Tuesday afternoon's phone session is going to be interesting (can't deal with it tomorrow, too many appointments going on).  It's something of a shame as I was pleased with the quote last year.

...And further to the above: Swinton apparently "can't do classic cars now."  Bummer.  So after a little internet hunting I phoned Peter James Insurance and got the premium down!  So now we know who will get the first call when (if) my Rover is ready!

W2 try an outfit called 'Chris Knott' - they are a broker I use and have done for several years - they have very good premiums and work on the basis of beating your best quote by at least 10% - often more,

The only time in the last ~8 years they've not been able to give me the best quote I could get without ringing EVERY company in the entire world was after I stuffed a Skoda into the back of a Vauxhall Insignia on the M27 one wet morning in February 2011. totally my fault and accepted as such. The following year swiftcover were slightly cheaper and CK wouldn't beat it as I'd had a fault claim in the previous 12 months.

http://www.chrisknott.co.uk/

They do lots of 'owners club' schemes. Sadly AS it not yet recognised, though its only a matter of time...

Be a bit careful with these, they do quote well but when my policy arrived the excess was way more than I'd asked for, there was no other car 3rd party cover allowed on the policy (it had been visibly removed) plus he gave me VERY suspect advice regarding a policy change.

Basically I leased a car for my son and got a few online quotes which were surprisingly reasonable, I thought it best to ring ck to get a marginal increase from him to change over. They refused point blank to insure my son on it for any less than an additional £2000 on the premium, then when I told him of the online deals of £750 in his own name he told me that what I was doing was illegal and the car wouldn't be insured as my sons name wasn't on the logbook. Vexed, I panicked and ended up having to cancel with them, take out an entirely new policy from scratch for the new merc and so on.

Fast forward 2 months and my merc ml insurance is up, I phone them to ask how much it's going to be to put my Mrs on as the main driver and me named and the quote is pretty fair, I mention the previous conversation as regards needing to now put the car in her name so I'm not doing anything "illegal" and get told it doesn't matter who's name is on the logbook as it's not proof you're the legal owner and as long as I'm named on the policy it makes no difference as the car is in my name anyway even though I'm not the main driver.

So how was that ANY different to what I originally wanted to do with my sons a class?

Mental.

If I followed his original theory I'm illegally driving the a class as I've never received a logbook for it as it remained with the lease company so therefore it could be registered to count duckula* for all I know 😂😂😂

* Assuming he wasn't killed of in the great quality cartoon cull of '92???

One to MASSIVELY AVOID is fresh insurance brokers though, complete scum, cost me thousands and point blank refused to accept my documents, claiming I never sent them in on time and subsequently cancelled my policy.

My Mrs has an accident that wasn't her fault and they actively prevented us from contacting the other parties insurers, took the other person's side despite them rear ending us, lied and claimed they paid them out compensation, took an excess off me despite me not claiming off the policy then charged me a full year despite providing less than a month's cover.

Oh and they also refused to give me an MID login that worked saying it was"better to put the cars on over the phone" which led to me almost (to the point of nob copper starting to phone in the job to head quarters) get car taken off me for no insurance at 2am on the M6 (copper was a total prick mind) as they'd not managed to get the registrations correct on 5 of the 6 cars I'd insured (trade policy).

My Mrs has had to go to a solicitor to try and get compo but as they stated because fresh/LV paid out the other party so quickly before even asking us the facts the chances of winning wouldn't have been viable.

3 back operations later and she still can't walk properly, is in horrific pain and it costs me £500 a month for private healthcare, but then of course, it was our fault for "blocking the path" of the UNDERTAKING SPEEDING VEHICLE.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED, AVOID FRESH AT ALL COSTS.

Did you have any luck WW? I'm in the same boat, last year's policy with Tesco was just under £300. Renewal quote is £480, next cheapest I can find using all the obvious routes is closer to £700. On a beige, diesel Xantia with 8 years no claims and a clean licence, guess I can knock anything quick on the head for a while...

• 1 month later...

Did you have any luck WW? I'm in the same boat, last year's policy with Tesco was just under £300. Renewal quote is £480, next cheapest I can find using all the obvious routes is closer to £700. On a beige, diesel Xantia with 8 years no claims and a clean licence, guess I can knock anything quick on the head for a while...

Sorry, I must have missed this. Chris Knott quoted like £400 which was great but they wanted to see a physical copy of the next best quote Id received (which Id plucked out of the air) so that was no good. Someone suggested upping the value of the car on comparison sites (from very low to Autotrader market value) and the day before my policy was up Admiral quoted £450.

Its just a fucking lottery unfortunately.

Vaughant; most insurers will demand the policyholder is the registered keeper. We all know it's bollocks but, I suspect, it's also the nearest thing we have to proof of ownership. The exception is usually husband and wife, but that depends from insurer to insurer.

It's not really illegal as, where I worked, it was usually treated as an oversight and didn't stop a claim, just delayed it. It may have changed in the past ten years though.

The policyholder is almost always considered the main driver. A parent insuring "their son's/daughter's" car is technically a breach of policy t&cs but honestly how do they prove who the main driver was?

Apologies as not read the entire thread so his may have already been mentioned.

Have you tried Direct line. Wierdly they were by far the cheapest, do not charge for mid term car policy changes and (as I only recently found out) will let you add a temporary additional car to the policy for a pro rata rate.

No more daily insurance policies for £30 to collect some chod, just add it as an extra vehicle for a couple of quid and away you go.

Currently added a Saab Convertible to my main policy for £40 for the month.

Remember to included Mrs WW on the policy even if she is never going to drive it, as that'll bring the premium down.

Also remember to use quidco or topcashback and that'll probably give a refund of around £50 (But not looked since last year, so may be higher/lower than that)

Cheers

Had the same with all my insurance recently, 9 yaers NCB, 14 years driving, no claims ever, insurance last year was approx 350, this year over 700 and i worked at that, i spoke to countless brokers and i just could not better it.

I think we pay over 2k a year on car insurance, it's a piss take TBH but we need insurance so what you going to do? I mean we could reduce the number of cars we have but that's no fun..

Apologies as not read the entire thread so his may have already been mentioned.

Have you tried Direct line. Wierdly they were by far the cheapest, do not charge for mid term car policy changes and (as I only recently found out) will let you add a temporary additional car to the policy for a pro rata rate.

No more daily insurance policies for £30 to collect some chod, just add it as an extra vehicle for a couple of quid and away you go.

Currently added a Saab Convertible to my main policy for £40 for the month.

Remember to included Mrs WW on the policy even if she is never going to drive it, as that'll bring the premium down.

Also remember to use quidco or topcashback and that'll probably give a refund of around £50 (But not looked since last year, so may be higher/lower than that)

Cheers

Im sorted now but I did try Direct Line as some people seem to swear by them. Best quote was well overva grand. I dont think they favour low ncb and ungaraged cars.

• 3 weeks later...

Bennett's ( Saga)

Cuntfuttocks

Bike insurance cost for 12 months £79

Change of Bike in April £35 charge

Phoned today to cancel policy they want to charge me £71 - £50 of which is a cancellation fee.

Despite much pressing I could neither get the telephone drone to itemise this charge or put me through to a manager or finance.

So - off with a strongly worded letter to the bunglecunts:

RE: Policy CANCELLATION

As per my telephone call today; As I no longer have the above motorcycle and will not be replacing it I have asked to cancel my policy. Whilst I am happy to pay the remainder of any outstanding balance on the policy up to the full cost of the policy as taken out) and the remainder of the mid-term policy adjustment of £35 as discussed; I find it incredulous that you charge more than half the original cost of the policy to cancel this.

I had asked if it was possible to “sleep” the policy - i.e. put the policy on hold until I take delivery of my new bike in December, but was told that this was not something that was done any more – why not I can’t really understand as it was perfectly possible 30 years ago when I first started riding / driving particularly when a bike was only used in the Summer and would encourage repeat custom & customer loyalty.

That aside I asked repeatedly to either speak to a manager or have the £50 cost justified as I cannot see that there is any more work involved ( less in fact) cancelling a policy than there is starting one up. I therefore dispute this £50 cost for cancelling my policy and would like an explanation of these costs.  Unfortunately our call was cut short by a fire alarm and despite a request for a call back I have yet to receive one.

As stated I am quite happy to pay for the remainder of the policy to term and for the mid-term adjustment, but fail to see how cancelling the policy can generate more financial work than a mid-term adjustment.

I look forward to your response.