W reg rover 800

v8 scania

Right the time has come to sell my project 800 as I've failed my medical to renew my hgv so no hgv no job. I rescued this just as it was in the process of being scrapped. I did the head gasket as it had blown, so now it runs great it needs the joint repairing on the exhaust, a new door handle fitting which i have got and then it could go for an mot the body isn't too bad but the bumpers could do with sorting out and the headlining is stapled up but it has got lpg fitted and ran well until it ran out so sorry for yakking on and on but as a w reg it needs to be saved offers as i really dont know what its worth and im in Kettering thankspost-17261-0-06423600-1493666218_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-22246900-1493666583_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-06423600-1493666218_thumb.jpg

First up, sorry to hear about your predicament. I hope something shows itself soon that will help you out of a hole.

Secondly, I work in Kettering each day. So if I can help with logistics then naturally I will..

This has surely got HMCs name all over it for his burdening Rover fleet.

Guest Lord Sward

That is very late indeed, seen a few V reg's but never a W.

I wonder what the build date is.

Early '98 I'd hazard an educated guess.

how did you find that out as i haven't a clue

The BMW Warranty Purchase site - https://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/Login/Index

It'll give you any VIN from a registration, BMW or not. 

I don't know of a proper Rover decoding site - it's too old to be on the MGRover.info one - but a generic decoder told me that it's a Rover (well, durrr) and it was built in 1998 - I think that's the W in the VIN that signifies that.

The BMW Warranty Purchase site - https://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/Login/Index

It'll give you any VIN from a registration, BMW or not. 

I don't know of a proper Rover decoding site - it's too old to be on the MGRover.info one - but a generic decoder told me that it's a Rover (well, durrr) and it was built in 1998 - I think that's the W in the VIN that signifies that.

well you learn something new everyday

Oh bloody hell...

How much do you want for this? I shouldn't really because I've got too many cars and now no more space.

Sadly Rover 800s aren't really worth too much unless it's a Mk1, or a Sterling or Vitesse Turbo sadly. My Blue 820i SE only went for £100, it didn't run mind and I had too much on my plate. Not to say that this isn't worth anything though.

Being a W-reg means it would have sat around for a while and possibly had been sold at a massive discount. There was a V-reg 827i that Brad used to own some years ago and fitted a Mk1 bonnet as they are interchangeable. The 827 in this shape was supposed to only make it to around early '96 when they changed over the KV6 2497cc engine.

I could probably source a front bumper in the right colour and some other parts. But as I said, I'm upto my eyes in it and work has crashed to the ground recently, plus I still have my Sterling sitting around and the Passat taking up space. The Passat might be moved on depending on what Ma says tomorrow.

Oh bloody hell...

There was a local guy who bought one of these on a W. He had seen the 75 and still went for an 800.

I guess it would have been cheap (relatively) but we all thought he was mental at the time.

Had my dad been buying a new car in 2000, that's exactly what he would have done.  I well remember the Cortina 1600 coming out in 1967.  What did he buy?  The outgoing 1500.  Wasn't a patch on his preceding Zephyr, mind.

How much do you want for this? I shouldn't really because I've got too many cars and now no more space. Unless anyone wants to help? ;)

Sadly Rover 800s aren't really worth too wellmuch unless it's a Mk1, or a Sterling or Vitesse Turbo sadly. My Blue 820i SE only went for £100, it didn't run mind and I had too much on my plate.

Being a W-reg means it would have sat around for a while and possibly had been sold at a massive discount. There was a W-reg 827i that Brad used to own some years ago and fitted a Mk1 bonnet as they are interchangeable.

I could probably source a front bumper in the right colour and some other parts. But as I said, I'm upto my eyes in it and work has crashed to the ground recently, plus I still have my Sterling sitting around and the Passat taking up space. The Passat might be moved on depending on what Ma says tomorrow.

well it owes me 150 so i cant take any less really

Cheers man. I don't honestly think I can take it on :cry:

Sadly I'm behind on some bills as work has hit the floor. Plus I've either to sort the Passat or move it on. Either way it's gonna cost money and time.

Really hope to see it stay on Autoshite until I can tap someone up and take it on.....

According to the DVLA website, it is a 2.0.

It doesn't look that bad at all; I quite like it. Hopefully it will find a home on here with someone who will get it back on the road again.

I thought these only went up to a V-reg, but every day on Autoshite is a school day. Did any of these get registered on a plate later than a W-reg?

Edit: Beaten to it by trigger, I need to be more on the ball

Sad to hear about a fellow HGV-er losing his licence.

Is your medical problem fixable V8?

Don't want to sound to nosey, but I remember we've had conversations in the past about the job.

I'm sure someone will be along to relieve you of the 800 soon enough.

Maybe someone could link it over to the 800 forum for you.

Cheers it is fixable my blood pressure was 184 over 119 but ive had high blood pressure for years but it is coming down gradually ive had my class 2 15 years and my class 1 2 years im 45 now and driving is all ive known as my dad was a lorry driver all his life and now my son has got his class one so driving is in our blood no pun intended

Same here, haven't seen any later than a 'w. The 800 was a slow seller toward the end, with stocks building up; not helped by the 75 launch being pushed back to mid 99 after being announced for earlier launch sometime in 1998, which deffo put some punters off.

Cheers it is fixable my blood pressure was 184 over 119 but ive had high blood pressure for years but it is coming down gradually ive had my class 2 15 years and my class 1 2 years im 45 now and driving is all ive known as my dad was a lorry driver all his life and now my son has got his class one so driving is in our blood no pun intended

I actually retire from full time driving in July next year. Been driving these bloody things since the summer of '76, and it ain't getting any easier. You've only got to watch the HGV dashcams on youtube to see the ridiculous risks people take just to get in front. I've been brake checked myself, and it's one of the most stupid things a car driver can do to a heavy truck.

I've been bloody lucky with my health, apart from my eyes, which Moorfields Eye Hospital so brilliantly put right for me. It was touch and go for a while whether I kept my licence though.

You take care of that blood pressure matey, and get back behind the wheel asap. There's a shortage of class one-ers in this country.

Guest Lord Sward

Same here, haven't seen any later than a 'w. The 800 was a slow seller toward the end, with stocks building up; not helped by the 75 launch being pushed back to mid 99 after being announced for earlier launch sometime in 1998, which deffo put some punters off.

In '98 we were reassured by a visiting Rover rep that Cowley had ramped-up production to stock pile a years worth of 800 series to cover the gap between the new factory and R40. We were aghast.  These things, enjoyable as they were, were seriously out of fashion.  For Aug '98 we sold one 800, a night fire red Sterling saloon on the S plate to an old gent who'd buy nothing else. The rest had to be massively and I mean massively discounted to get interest.  By 1998, the build quality was about right.  A shame it wasn't right 12+ years earlier.