Beige BX - Autoshite joint purchase ACHIEVED - funders/fixers/sarcastic commenters SOUGHT

Guest Breadvan72

I bunged in thirty sheets to assist initial rescue, but any future interest involves only sitting in the cockpit to inhale deeply the unmistakeable aroma of 35yo French plastic and leaked LHM.  And maybe a little drive, should you twist my arm...  :)

The day started off well enough - by the time I arrived stillOrange had found and removed the leaking fuel pipe. So off we went to the motor factors, in his rather splendid Volvo, to purchase a replacement.

post-19532-0-87926100-1495297923_thumb.jpg

We fitted this, and the car started and ran, but only for a long as the fuel already in the carb and filter lasted. No fuel was getting through. On inspection, the fuel pump's little filter was found to be full of clag, which won't have helped but wasn't enough on its own to stop it running. More fuel was added to the tank, just in case the gauge was lying, but to no avail.

The only other thing we could think of was to blow air through the fuel line back from the pump, using a 12V tyre inflater, as we wondered if something had been pulled up from the bottom of the tank and blocked the line. No dice. We checked the HBOL, but there was no mention of priming the pump (we tried anyway!).

As might be expected, the battery is toast, which made this calendar pic possible when we wanted to try starting The Beigeness:

post-19532-0-04236400-1495298379_thumb.jpg

There's still some money in the kitty, but if anyone has a viable 063 battery they wouldn't mind donating to the project it would be much appreciated!

On the plus side, seeing the car in the tin for the first time today, I can confirm that it's a truly fantastic thing. Even the rank, smelly upholstery (and the relentless, pissing rain) couldn't put me off!

post-19532-0-82424200-1495298677_thumb.jpg

If any of the resident BXperts have any thoughts at this point, all help will be gratefully received!

You can pull the sender out of the tank quite easily. Remove the rear seat base and you can unscrew and remove it. Mind you, I realise that knowledge is based on diesels. Not sure what the fuel set up is on the petrols.

That sounds like a similar set up to what we saw... it wasn't immediately obvious that the sender would unscrew though, so that may well be the next thing to try!

This might be utterly stupid beyond belief but would a fuel tank venting problem do this?

It's possible, but it seems very unlikely given that the car was running earlier the same day.

I think the next thing to do would be to get the sender and associated pipes out for examination, as DW says. When our new pipe was disconnected from the main line under the car, no fuel leaked out. HBOL described the fuelling setup, but it doesn't mention a cut-off solenoid or anything, so I would have expected that to happen?

The day started off well enough - by the time I arrived stillOrange had found and removed the leaking fuel pipe. So off we went to the motor factors, in his rather splendid Volvo, to purchase a replacement.

attachicon.gifIMG_1324.JPG

We fitted this, and the car started and ran, but only for a long as the fuel already in the carb and filter lasted. No fuel was getting through. On inspection, the fuel pump's little filter was found to be full of clag, which won't have helped but wasn't enough on its own to stop it running. More fuel was added to the tank, just in case the gauge was lying, but to no avail.

The only other thing we could think of was to blow air through the fuel line back from the pump, using a 12V tyre inflater, as we wondered if something had been pulled up from the bottom of the tank and blocked the line. No dice. We checked the HBOL, but there was no mention of priming the pump (we tried anyway!).

As might be expected, the battery is toast, which made this calendar pic possible when we wanted to try starting The Beigeness:

attachicon.gifIMG_1327.JPG

There's still some money in the kitty, but if anyone has a viable 063 battery they wouldn't mind donating to the project it would be much appreciated!

On the plus side, seeing the car in the tin for the first time today, I can confirm that it's a truly fantastic thing. Even the rank, smelly upholstery (and the relentless, pissing rain) couldn't put me off!

attachicon.gifIMG_1329.JPG

If any of the resident BXperts have any thoughts at this point, all help will be gratefully received!

There's the one I took off my X1/9 last year in Wrexham if you want to get it. It's 9years old mind but was always on a trickle charge conditioner. Removed as my dad thought it suspect 1 in the non starting issue. It wasn't though.

Obv, it's the 063 shape.