2003 Aprilia Habana 125, MOTd and running - £SOLD

strangeangel

NOW SOLD, the new owner is of this parish :)

My magnificent winter hack has about 6 months MOT (will check exact dates tomorrow), and is taxed to get you home. It even boasts a V5 with my name on it.

The previous owner bought it a new battery, coil pack and rear tyre but couldn't get it to run. I put fresh fuel in, cleaned the carb and fuel pump and off it went. I then fixed the lights, gave it a bit of ghetto refurbishment (which can be seen in the Bikeshite thread if you can be arsed), MOT'd and rode it to work through the winter.

Other stuff that happened: new belt and rollers because vibration indicated imminent demise, new plug cap and plug because misfire and 2nd hand starter Bendix because shagged. New pads and fluid went in the front brake.

Known bad stuff: the speedo doesn't work but ITS AN EASY FIX IF U NO WAT URE DOIN. Seriously, it is - the speedo drive is knackered. They cost £15 off the 'bay; I never bothered cos there are neither speed cameras nor cops round here. The centre stand spring is a bit, erm, laid back so the stand makes sparks when you hit a pothole (of which there are many in West Yorks).

It's not the tidiest, but it is reliable and very handy in traffic. It's actually quite fun to ride in the context of the Urban Scramble!

Please save me from dealing with the general public, and take it off my hands at the bargainous Shiters' Price of £250.

Delivery is available up to 30 miles or so at the cost of a brew and a lift home for me! See how confident I am of its ability? I once rode this scooter to Northern Powerhouse at Glossop, so it'll be perfect for any polar expeditions you might be planning.

DSC_0018_zpsntjpt764.jpg

More photos will be taken next time it's daylight, and with a bit of luck they'll be in focus and everything.

Guest Breadvan72

If you got your full car driving licence before 1 December 1990, and ticked the box for motorbike when you filled in the form, then you have provisional riding rights up to 125 cc.

Check your Category A provisional entitlement on the DVLA site.

No CBT required if you have pre 1990 car licence.

Not according to DVLA:

When you don’t need to take CBT

You don’t have to take CBT if you:

• want to ride a moped (up to 50cc) and you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001
  • want to ride a motorcycle and have a full moped licence from passing a moped test since 1 December 1990
  • have a full motorcycle licence for one category and want to upgrade to another
  • live and ride on some offshore islands

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-cbt/who-needs-training

I know nowt about these things, but that sounds cheap to me.

Can one carry a pillion passenger on L plates?

No, but if you have a sidecar fitted you can carry a passenger in that. Good, eh?

I would be asking more if/when it goes on eBay/Bumtree, but frankly I can live without the hassle of dealing with the sort of tards a cheap. old-ish scooter will attract. And it's done me proud over the winter, so it would be cool for it to stay 'in the family' so to speak :)

Guest Breadvan72

The website is wrong.  Government websites often are.  Look up the Act and Regulations if you don't believe me.  Also, if you have a pre 1990 licence, check what it says in the provisonal entitlements.  Mine says this:-

You can drive a motorcycle of a power exceeding 35kW or with a power to weight ratio exceeding 0.2kW per kg, or A motorcycle of a power not exceeding 35kW with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW per kg and derived from a vehicle of more than double its power. A motor tricycle with a power exceeding 15kW

I cross refer what my licence says with the relevant legislation, and that tells me that I can ride an A1 motorbike unaccompanied by an instructor, and an A2 motorbike accompanied by an instructor.   An A1 is up to 125 cc and 11KW.

Guest Breadvan72

The Government's archive site is more reliable than the DVLA site:-

"1990

Provisional licence holders prevented from carrying pillion passengers.
Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) was introduced for all new learner riders of motorcycles and mopeds. 

..."

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20121107103953/http://www.dft.gov.uk/publications/dsa-history-motorcycle-testing

Guest Breadvan72

Oh, OK. Maybe you could write and tell them? Thanks.

I might do that, if I CBA. The important thing is not to assume that stuff on the net is always true. The legislation is available online. DVLA does not make the legislation, and does not always correctly interpret it. The CBT was introduced by an Act made in 1989 that came into force in 1990. The Act did not have retrospective effect.

I agree that doing a CBT is a good idea for people who have not ridden before or for ages.

Guest Breadvan72

True enough, but I've been practising law for thirty years, and the interpretation of legislation is pretty much a main thing for me in my day job.  If you like, I can set out in detail each bit of the relevant legislation, and maybe add a summary of the constitutional principle of non retrospectivity, but that might be a tad dull.

I was trying to help you sell your scooter, by pointing out to those possibly interested in it that they may, depending on when they got their driving licences, be able to ride it, but if you choose to respond to this with snarkiness, that's up to you.   GLWTS.

Pah! That means I did my CBT when I didn't need to (although it wasn't a waste as I'd had a long gap).

Presumably one still needs CBT to take the full bile test though, even if (like mine) your car licence is (very) pre-1990.

Edit - sorry for thread hijack - bike looks gr9 and a bargain

Guest Breadvan72

The CBT is only required for those issued with licences after the 1989 legislation came into force on 1 December 1990.  With a pre 1990 licence, you could take the full bike test without a CBT.  The problem might be that "computer says no" types at the test place might refuse to believe this.  They might point to duff sources such as the DVLA website referred to above.  It is a fundamental principle of English law that statutes do not have retrospective effect unless they are expressed in plain terms to have such effect, and in this case the statute was not so expressed.  Legislation is prospective, not retrospective.  If the CBT requirement had applied to those who were riding in and before 1989-90, then many thousands of people would have had to do CBTs after 1 December 1990, but that did not happen.  

I agree that obtaining training is a good idea.  I am simply pointing out what the legal position is.  Those who are old enough to be grandfathers have what are known as grandfather rights.  

Anyway, check your own licence and see what it says about Category A provisional entitlement.   Paper copies are gone, so you use the list of Categories on the plastic card and cross refer with the website.

Websites are not infallible, but you can reasonably to expect the part of the website that is providing personal data to be more accurate than a big picture overview summary in the general info part that does not accurately reflect the pre-1990 position. 

Guest Breadvan72

If anyone wants to look stuff up, the references are -

Section 99 of the Road Traffic Act 1988;

Section 6 of the Road Traffic (Driver Licensing and Information Systems) Act 1989 ;

Regulations 3,15,16 and 19 of the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999, as amended.

The Constitution of the United Kingdom  (yes, that does exist)

NB the text on the free to view Government website does not show all of the (many) amendments - for that you need a pay to view service such as Westlaw.   And, yes, of course up to date legislation should be free to view, but it isn't.  

Guest Breadvan72

Full car driving licence issued pre 1 December 1990 = provisional motorcycle licence to age seventy.   This allows you to ride 125 cc bikes (max 11 KW) unaccompanied, and bigger bikes when accompanied by an instructor.  

NB NB NB :  IIRC, you had to tick a box about motorbikes when you applied for the licence.  If you didn't, then you wouldn't have provisional bike to age seventy.

I would probably rather do a CBT than try to explain the finer points of Regulations 3,15,16 and 19 of the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999 to a police officer.

Anyway this thing is way nicer than the meagre asking price might suggest, and is probably underpriced by about £500 based on the general going rate for anything 125.

Hopefully it will find a new home easily.

Thank the Lord I sold my van otherwise I'd be up with you picking it up.

I did ride my Yamaha 125 scooter to Czech Republic and back last year, so perhaps riding this back to Essex  is not beyond possibility, especially with a sparkly centre stand.