Oil! And lots of it needed!!

Robson3022

So our 2 moderns need servicing and both take 5w30 synthetic.

Mrs Robson3022's Honda takes a massive 6L and mine 4.8L. Thinking the cheapest way will be to buy 20Ls? Would ideally like a decent quality brand. Found 20L mobile super 3000 for £80 on eBay.

Anyone got any cheaper sources? I don't think £80 is horrific but much cheapness would be better?

Cheers in advance guys!

Asda were knocking out 5l of 5w/30 fully synth for £13 last week, admittedly the brand doesn't inspire much confidence but it will be made by one of the big oil co's and just branded up with whoever's logo (he says).

three of them is less than half the price of the Mobil stuff, with some left over for top-ups?

Honest* John reckons its actually made by Comma:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=92214

Asda did generic 5w/30, ford-specific 5w/30 and vauxhall/bmw/chevrolet/something else 5w/30 fully synth all for the same price when i was in there. I got the vauxhall stuff but it does have all of the info on the API standards it is compliant with on the back of the bottles.

I tend to buy based on the API or CCMC standards listed on the bottle.   The oil either complies or it doesn't, and I doubt they'd lie about that.

You do hear stories about recycled oil - I doubt the supermarket brands will be recycled, but I suppose some of the less well known brands might be.  Anyway, I did some reading up on that and it's a hi-tech process where they re-refine it and so on.  It's not some bloke in a lockup with a big funnel and a pair of tights.

Having said that, Halfords had some pretty keen deals on oil when I visited the other week, or you could buy in bulk from Costco or ECP.

Kiltox said it, ECP about £30 for 20 litres maybe a bit more, just blag a discount from them by being nice, asking what the code is to buy it off the internet and they'll normally give you the lowest price. 

Keep old 5L containers or scrounge them from somewhere and use a funnel to decant.  I don't think it is that difficult.

Then try and decide what to do with the 20L container when you're done.

I've heard/read for some years now in various places that Comma particularly, (also Millers & another who I forget) sell their oil for 'Own-branding' or whatever the clever term for it is to a wide range of supermarkets, motor factors and other outlets so I'd not worry too much. I think it highly unlikely these days that any big company would risk selling sub-standard crap as the fallout from the bad publicity wouldn't be worth it. 

I know what you mean about recycled oil but I think that's long dead I'd say, haven't seen any of the £2 for a gallon crap for over a decade in a shop (tho' have seen some dubiously packaged stuff at autojumbles that'd be best avoided).

As Sierraman says, changing it frequently is more important. Oil cheap, bearings expensive - as a wise old mechanic told me when I was 16. 

So our 2 moderns need servicing and both take 5w30 synthetic.

Mrs Robson3022's Honda takes a massive 6L and mine 4.8L. Thinking the cheapest way will be to buy 20Ls? Would ideally like a decent quality brand. Found 20L mobile super 3000 for £80 on eBay.

Anyone got any cheaper sources? I don't think £80 is horrific but much cheapness would be better?

Cheers in advance guys!

Is yours Honda a 2.2 CTDi? If so you need C2 or C3 grade in 0W-30 flavour - recommended for long life of the chain and for maximum economy.

I've always bought oil and filters from Cox motor parts. Expensive because 6 litres but then over a year it's not too bad. I also buy an extra litre as mine seems to get through it in around 6k miles. Handily half way between services.

I did a service on my mondeo a few weeks back and got the oil from the local Ford dealer, bought 10 litres 5w30 synthetic and it came to about £30. Fuchs Titan something or other, which Is supposed to be pretty good. - *see note below

They're usually pretty good on price for service items, despite being an omgstealer.

*I think it's fairly difficult to gauge what is good and bad oil, people will have their recommendations but the most actual evidence anyone is likely to have is 'I run it in my car and it hasn't gone bang yet' I reckon they're all much of a muchness personally.

Oh yeah some parts from Ford are insane, stuff like that I'd source from the breakers or a decent Valeo one like you say. I need a electric window motor for the Focus, you can get them on EBay for £30 with a 2 year warranty so I suppose it's all relative. A new Ford one would be hundreds.

Don't see the point scrimping over £2 though on something critical though.