BEIGE SHERPA scampervan and old Honda motorbike.

Guest Breadvan72

I've just taken time out from cycling around some islands to log on via tame seagull from somewhere called Tarbert on the Isle of Harris to say:

Sir, I love your Sherpa as much as I fucking hate ass engined Nazi mobile rape sheds. And that's a lot. I shall have a drink on you this fine eve good sir. Hic.

I may have had some Guiness today.

Guest Breadvan72

The A34 connects the M4 to Oxford. It's a fairly obvious way to go from Bristol to Oxford and places near Oxford.

The A34 connects the M4 to Oxford. It's a fairly obvious way to go from Bristol to Oxford and places near Oxford.

I went m4/a34/home from wheatley when I went to bristol.

The sharp corner end of the a34 fucked me over nearly, had the cruise at 90 and nearly shat myself... Never go on the a34 so didn't know what to expect

Guest Breadvan72

Even the chrome rack and mudguards haven't any rust on the cg. I've wondered about pop top campers, is it just more headroom they give with the roof up or is it a bunk bed?

I twice rented a Dub van that had a double bed in the roof.  As noted above, the Sherpa's type type of pop up has a narrow roll out hammock on each side.  There are many variants of pop up.   The great things about the Sherpa one is that it takes about 30 seconds to put up and take down, is not made of canvas that goes mouldy, and has curtained windows in each side.  The hammocks are suitable only for thin people, but my daughter and her cousin, who will come to Latitude with us, are thin.   If they make too much noise giggling, they will be thrown out into the tent that we will bring as a spare room/changing room.   That tent may be a 1970s/80s Vango Force Ten for period Air Training Corps detail (the ATC also had lots of Sherpas and old Landies in my days as a cadet) , but we may say feck that and go pop-up tent for easy life.  We will use another tiny tent to house the allegedly posh Italian-made Fiamma Cludgy-in-a-box that I ordered from the Bay.  

The rented Dub van had a rock and roll bed downstairs that went up and down in seconds.  The Sherpa double bed takes several minutes and some swearing to assemble, but has the advantage of leaving the kitchen area free, so that you can make tea in the morning while your beloved dwams.   The van is much more roomy inside than a Dubber, although obvs small compared to a camper based on a box van.

If anyone wants a classic camper and has 3K spare, the Renault one that I saw near Thame the other week is still for sale.   Big, looks good, well converted (Autosleeper again), but may be sloooow with a 1.6. pez, although owner says improved by Weber carb and custom exhaust. 

Guest Breadvan72

Renault camper visible in background (djimbob's ex Mrs BV L'Orealmobile in foreground).  Bloke will take 3K, I reckon, "because it's worth it". 

post-5528-0-85920300-1493531854_thumb.jpg

Guest Breadvan72

I have now owned, I think, a total of five vehicles with Marina inner door handles, but not one Marina.  

Any practical types got any suggestions as to pushing the mirror back on to its stalk on the bike?   The stalk ends with a ball, and there is a reciprocal socket on the back of the mirror, but getting the two to re-unite is proving tricky.  I wanted to unscrew both mirrors from the bike before loading it into the van but was persuaded by the seller that I need not do so, and being tired and keen to press on, didn't.  Bumz.

I braced the bike with straps and cushions, but despite this the left hand side of the fuel tank contacted the corner of one of the cupboard units en route, and a bit of paint at the line between the red and the silver has flaked off.  Mucho annoying.  

Even worse, the red of my Quasimodo armoured jacket clashes with the red of the bike, darleeeengs.  My helmet is mainly white as that is the safest colour (police bikers wear white helmets for a reason - black looks cool but isn't so visible), but it has red and green stripes on it as I used to have an Italian bike, so more fashion travesties, oh noes!  I have a silver full face helmet too, so maybe will wear that a bit, but the bike is more an open face helmet thing, and I prefer the peripheral vision afforded by open helmets.  If the colour clash gets too much for my inner Edna Mode, I have a tan leather double breasted arse length coat that I could wear on the bike (very thick leather, made mid 70s probz, found in a vintage shop in Seven Dials) .  

The red jacket is ugly, but it has kevlar spine, shoulder and elbow protectors, is waterproof, and is mucho warm.   I know that it's naughty to go biking in jeans, but bleh.   Proper Darth Vader gloves with Kevlar palms and knuckles. 

The tail light on the bike is out - I will check the bulb .

What about an old fashioned G clamp to persuade the ball back into the socket? Bit of lube on both bits, and slowly tighten the clamp?

Also, the tan leather double breasted coat is surely the only thing a gentleman such as yourself should wear on a motorcycle? Coupled with a chunky hand knitted polo neck sweater, a pipe and a far away look in your eyes should ensure a veritable tsunami of clunge.

Guest Breadvan72

South Wales Talbot Autosleeper, two litre pez, five speed manual, fibreglass body, MoT August, quite spacious, four berths, kitchen, shower and loo, only mildly grumpy ad.  Skizzer, you can live in this when the Gamma bills lead to sale of your house.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Talbot-Campervan-Motorhome/252899027511?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D4bc9c7758b344ac48c2b35486f20b0ee%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D152522288050

Guest Breadvan72

What about an old fashioned G clamp to persuade the ball back into the socket? Bit of lube on both bits, and slowly tighten the clamp?

Also, the tan leather double breasted coat is surely the only thing a gentleman such as yourself should wear on a motorcycle? Coupled with a chunky hand knitted polo neck sweater, a pipe and a far away look in your eyes should ensure a veritable tsunami of clunge.

Sounds good, but I would need to be on (or, better still, attempting to fix at roadside) a BSA or Norton, not a slightly fey Nipponese machine of reliability.

Clamp sounds a plan, do not think I own one!