BEIGE SHERPA scampervan and old Honda motorbike.

Guest Breadvan72

Guest Breadvan72

TL/DR - collected a van and a bike.  Went OK.  Pics to follow in next post.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Looooong version is loooooong.

"I am afraid, Watson, that I shall have to go," said Holmes, as we sat down together to our breakfast one morning.

"Go! Where to?"

"To Dartmoor; to King's Pyland."

I was not surprised. Indeed, my only wonder was that he had not already been mixed up in this extraordinary case...

Well, I didn't make it as far as Dartmoor, but when Mrs BV and I drove in my Yellowmite to see the Sherpa van last Saturday, we found the Sherpa camping in a farm field between Exmoor and Dartmoor.  Its very charming owners live on a canal boat at Bridgwater, but were vanning for the weekend prior to selling the Sherpa.  She's a Professor of a very sciencey science at Exeter, and he's a senior save the World dude at the Environment Agency.  Kids at university, now getting a bigger van.

At £2,000 I reckon that this Sherpa is a megabarg.  It is a surprisingly pleasant drive, and knocks seventy seven shades of shadoodle out of any Dub van or early Transit that I have sampled.    An overdrive gearbox may, however, be an early shopping item for the van, as at 70 it feels like it has more to give, but it gets a bit noisy and thrashy at that speed, so I stayed at 60 to 65 for most of the motorway journey.   50 ish  on A roads and OK through the corners felt fine.  O Series seems pretty good, but a bit tickety-tickety at top end - to be checked out by Mark the Mech in due course. 

The Autosleeper conversion was done when the van was new, to a high standard.  Lots of Tardis cupboards, a complicated jigsaw-puzzle double bed that allows access to the cooker and fridge when bed in place, two rollout hammocky things in the pop-up roof, two non-swivel seats in the cab, seats for four - two with lap belts - in the back. Light, airy, with original upholstery in a mid blue colour.  Carpet, rugs, blinds, and recent curtains.    

Gas fridge and cooker, power hookup, two batteries plus room for a third in engine bay, big water tank, clip on awning, two spare wheels.  Recent tyres, plugs, diff refurb, some chassis welding, some brake work.  Some wob in the body, nothing too terrible, speckles on the BEIGE paint.  Shiny hub caps!  By the way,  THIS IS A SHERPA VAN AND IT'S BEIGE.

The seller (Mr) met me at Taunton station, and after a bit of briefing and chatter, I set off onto the M5.  The van turns heads and raises smiles.  It overtakes lorries and inside lane dawdlers with ease.  First and second gears are short and noisy, third and fourth gears are long and leggy, and you can pull out to pass a lorry going uphill without changing down from fourth.  Mega good mirrors and over the shoulder visibility.   On the route I saw a handful of other early 80s white van style campers, but no Sherpas.

Ten minutes along, indicators and wipers stop working.  I wonder where the fuses live.  I have brought spare glass fuses with me.  Five minutes later, indicators and wipers start working again, and work for the rest of the trip. 

The fuel gauge is broken, but the tank was half full when collected, and I filled it up at almost every stop. I made several stops, to check oil and other fluids and to rest, as although the van is great, driving it on a motorway does require a deal more situational awareness and concentration than does driving a car, even an old one. 

I stopped at Sedgemoor Services, where I was recruited for bloke duty by a mum who could not get her Golf filler flap open. "You look like a bloke", says she. "I am a bloke", says I, and deliver on blokeness by prodding the flap and then recommending that she unlock the car.  She laughed.  Sedgemoor PHACKTOID:  Hanging Judge Jeffreys, who conducted the "Bloody Assizes" and death-sentenced most of the Monmouth rebels captured at or after Sedgemoor in 1685, had formerly practised at the Bar from chambers at 2 Hare Court, in the Temple.  My chambers now has a silly name and a new address, but when I started there in the 1980s it was 2 Hare Court.  So, the Judge is a colleague. 

On to Bristol, or rather a village on the outskirts of Bristol, to meet a charming couple in their early seventies, he a fit silver fox, she a bubbly and warm woman who you can see was as hot as hot in her youth.  Offered wine or tea, choose tea.  Phone almost dead, van charger socket not working, plugged phone in while we chat, do V5 etc.  Bloke is a lifetime biker with eight bikes and two noughties Jags.  He had recently bought the Honda from the widow of a neighbour, its late owner having been its second owner, and a man who had kept the bike meticulously.  From the eBay advert:-

This model is possibly one of a batch made in Japan ( not Turkey or Brazil) for the Chinese market but were never sold in China as they had started to make their own CG clones. As Honda were having problems with their new factory in Brazil - a reputable UK importer brought them here.
They have a four speed gearbox with unusual configuration of Neutral at the top and then tap the pedal down 4 times to Top gear, plus they have a Rev Counter.

The bike starts first kick and is silent and smooth.  Everything works.  Speedo marked in Km/H, but the previous owner has marked it with tabs for 30, 40 and 50.  Seller bloke has a bike loading ramp and is still fit enough to push the bike into the van while I pull it, and we surround it with cushions and bags, put it in gear, put the second spare wheel behind it, and lock it in. One mirror gets knocked off its stalk, and I manage to make a small chip in the paint on one side of the fuel tank (which is full, by the way). Annoying, because formerly unmarked, but hey.   The Honda cost £1,190, and I reckon that is a good price.  A less good one currently on eBay has bid to £1,000, with time yet to run.

Bloke niftily tries to get an opinion from me on a boundary dispute.  His wife deplores this.  I make helpful general guidance noises, tell him (truthfully) that I know almost nothing of land law, and that he really needs insured advice that is paid for, and give him the direct public access contact details of a certain barrister who does know about land law and who features in a somewhat sarcastic and unkind guise earlier in this thread. 

On to the M4, stopping at Leigh Delamere and noticing the low oil pressure light coming on and off.  Dipstick level low. Was fine when viewed last Saturday - forgot to check at Taunton.  Has it spaffed some, or used some?  Topped up with Comma 20/50 provided by seller, and level still good when arrive home. SU dashpot is OK, but add a little drop just for luck.

All well, and traffic not too bad.  Night.  Lights work.  Instrument lighting poor even by 70s/80s standards - I suspect one bulb is out.  

A34 from M4 towards Oxford CLOSED.  Drat.  Opt for cross country route via WANTAGE.   Call Mrs BV (whom I have been updating with texts at every halt).  She is cross.   Appears to think that A34 closure is my fault.  Anyway, on through West Berks and into Oxon, and around the Oxford ring road, and from thence to my village, which is just east of Thame.  Home quite late, very tired.  Mrs BV not cross anymore.  Delicious and not dried up herby and lemony roast chicken.  One very cold Tuborg.  Bed.  ZZZZZZZs instantaneous.

This morning, I have extracted the bike from the van without any further knocks.  The mirror sits on a ball on the end of the stalk, but so far I cannot force it back on.  A quick blat around the block - great little bike.  Perfect for summer station run and going to shops trips.  In the shed for the winter.  

Anyway, that's it.  I have to do some stuff now, but will come back later and put up some pics.

Guest Breadvan72

The previous owners called the van Sherman and addressed it as "he".  I do not often name vehicles, and refer to them as it (very rarely, she, but really that's naff unless the vehicle is a ship).  If the van had a name, the name would be Tenzing Norgay, obvs, but it doesn't have a name. The Minions are coming off (bullet holes probably ditto, but have to ask daughter)  and the Sherman decals too.   There is an old GB sticker with a Union Flag on it.  This will be replaced by a plain GB sticker, and maybe an IRL/EU sticker as well.

Guest Breadvan72

The CG 125 is a mid 70s design intended for the developing world as well as commuter use.  Farmers in India ride about on them.  This one has the classic shape.  It had a new carb, an iridium plug, and a new rear tyre plus assorted other things last year. The lights and hooter have been upgraded to modern spec and the lights are now wired up to work like modern bike lights.

Guest Breadvan72

The bike is for RIDAN YO.  Store in shed when wintry.

Mrs BV says these exact words:  "OK.  It's a very pretty bike.  Please don't take it on the motorway.  I won't give you any shit about it.  But you must stop now."       Fair dos. 

Mrs BV's very groovy black leather biker jacket is a fashion item in soft leather, but the local antiques centre has a real, very heavy and also suitably SMOLL leather biker jacket for sale for not much (Mrs BV is SMOLL).

Super top buyage on both counts!

With all sleepy and campy bits fully deployed from the Sherpa, it puts me in mind of a transformer, part way through er - transforming. But a transformer using the advanced technologies of plywood and cupboard door hinges obvs...

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

That Sherpa is lovely outside, lovelier inside, and aren't you tall?

£2000 is a barg, that's exactly the kind of thing I'd want if I had somewhere to put it. Quick enough not to infuriate other road users (i.e. not a VW T2), unfashionable enough to be cheap (i.e. not a VW T2), plenty of room inside (i.e. not a VW T2) and hasn't been wankjizzed over by a hipster with "zany" ideas about patina and upgrades (i.e. you get the idea)

Guest Breadvan72

Super top buyage on both counts!

With all sleepy and campy bits fully deployed from the Sherpa, it puts me in mind of a transformer, part way through er - transforming. But a transformer using the advanced technologies of plywood and cupboard door hinges obvs...

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

Sir! Our position is being overrun by Giant Mecha!   It's Rustertron, Headgaskator, and NicebitofpicnicinalaybynextotheA476zilla!

Outstanding purchases both. Autosleeper were one of the best converters back in the day; in the early 80s we had a VW T25 CI conversion which was pretty well done but the neighbour's AS Renault Trafic seemed to have an edge on quality. Neither, of course, had the desired* level of Sherpa-ness.

Love the Honda too. There's something very right about 1970s Honda bike styling across the whole range. I recently discovered CBXs from Hairnet and Quicksilver's Drive It Day photo threads and now one of those is creeping on to my wish list, worryingly.

Guest Breadvan72
Guest Breadvan72

Skiz, maybe look also at 70s Yamaha commuter bikes - they are pretty things.  More expensive than Hondas, I think.