Egregious Lancia purchase from salty sea island and watery lakes. NOW WITH RUST PERVAGE and WEIRD ITALIAN VANS

Guest Breadvan72

Guest Breadvan72

I am trying to recruit  mug punters bold spirited adventurers to assist in a fleet deployment.

XJS unlikely to turn a wheel this year.

Then the other day what is for me the dream Beta turned up on the tat thread - a 1600 Coupe, in bronze, with the mad Series 1 interior.

1)  Do not look at the eBay tat thread.

I merely posted it to the eBay Tat thread. This decision was entirely your own and I in no way assisted in, or suggested, the purchase be made nor did I make any guarantee of it's condition. Have fun!

Guest Breadvan72

There is tough competition.  I reckon that this is some way behind Skizzer's Gammakoop, which has the added virtue of being knackered, and what if someone buys the beige BX from the Tat thread?

Turn my back for a week and the ageing yuppie wing of AS go ballistic,buying all teh shite.

1600 Beta Koops are mega weapons I briefly owned an S reg one in 1984, but sold it to a mate when I was given a shiny 2 year old XR2 as a company car- it was a mk1 105e engined one, but I was still gutted when the rusty red eyetalian slaughtered it everywhere, straight line, corners, even in the wet - so much for P6es.

Guest Breadvan72

When I had the 1300 heap the engine seemed to go like a non Italian 1600 would, so I'm hoping that a Lampredi 1600 will go like a non Italian 1800.  Beta handliness is amazing - they are amongst the few FWD cars that I like.  I hope that the blue 1300 has lived to tell the tale, especially as the 1300s are so rare.  

The white 1600 Spyder on EBay sold for a bit over £4,000 with an MoT.   It seems that Betas have passed firmly across the line from banger to classic.  I paid just £1500 for a vgc 2000 Spyder with a full MoT in 2012.   Skattrd paid less for his 2000 Spyder, IIRC, and only charged me £2000 for his HPE Volumex  (currently being restored by a bloke in Reading).

An early HPE with a whack interior would be a good one to find.

Guest Breadvan72

The most fragile parts of the Betas I have owned in the past have been the German electrics!

Guest Breadvan72

A 2000 Berlina.  Great dashboard, but dull exterior, I think.    I did not know that 2000 saloons came with steelies.  The ad says top of the range, but would that not have meant alloys?  Or were alloys only standard on the Coupes, HPEs and Spyders?   The saloon version of the Beta is odd in that it looks nothing like its sportier siblings.  Having said that, a Montecarlo is, strictly speaking, a Beta, but looks completely unlike one and is RWD.

The price strikes me as ambitious -

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C863463

8679398.jpg

8679406.jpg

Guest Breadvan72

That one is ex-Betaboy; I remember it from Shitefest 2012. It was utterly stunning, being original rather than (over-)restored, and I'd expect it to sell for most if not all of that money. Quite possibly the best RHD Beta Berlina left.

The brown 1300 Berlina seen at Shitefest 14 must run it a close second, or maybe pip it, because 1300, because brown?  

Very good point my learned friend: It's a toss-up between the two really, but I believe Dermist's brown one is off the road at the mo. Nothing serious, but the silver one edges it on a technicality.

Guest Breadvan72

I merely posted it to the eBay Tat thread. This decision was entirely your own and I in no way assisted in, or suggested, the purchase be made nor did I make any guarantee of it's condition. Have fun!

Fair dos.  Writ in post.  Hugs!

20170426_194839_zps4kjn3knc.jpg

20170426_192937_zpsrajwaehl.jpg

20170426_194913_zps8tvoduuu.jpg

I'm gonna utter those famous last words and say it doesnt look that bad TBH, I will be interested to see what Al Bundy uncovers but it looks honest enough. I reckon that red VX one had some pretty serious internal rust problems in its sills and A-pillars, that this one has probably escaped thus far.

When I had the 1300 heap the engine seemed to go like a non Italian 1600 would, so I'm hoping that a Lampredi 1600 will go like a non Italian 1800.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 1600 the same engine used in the 1600 Twink Supermirafiori?  In which case, I've had the pleasure and can vouch for it.  Oh yes it goes.  Oh BOY does it!  Given that it was a car I rescued from scrap for a few brief months in 1986, it didn't half make an impression on me.  So, assuming my memories are correct, then I can't see you being disappointed.

Guest Breadvan72

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 1600 the same engine used in the 1600 Twink Supermirafiori?  In which case, I've had the pleasure and can vouch for it.  Oh yes it goes.  Oh BOY does it!  Given that it was a car I rescued from scrap for a few brief months in 1986, it didn't half make an impression on me.  So, assuming my memories are correct, then I can't see you being disappointed.

I think not, because Fiat's Lampredi and Lancia's Lampredi diverged half way up - with each having its own head treatment.  I may be wrong on that.  Lancia Lampredis usually have a single downdraft Weber, IIRC, maybe two carbs on some.  Fiats, I am not sure.  I would BUM SENSELESS a hot 70s or 80s Fiat, but they are now SPENNHAR.

Viz:-

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1972-fiat-124-sport-coupe/15287233

MzU0Y2M4OWQxOTFmZjUwMDkxNGMzYzRlYWYzZDM1