What's the best 2K car - Suggestions

gadgetgricey

richbraith, on 26 Apr 2017 - 9:36 PM, said:

Having worked for a Kia dealer throughout the life of these, I wouldn't touch one.  That will shit itself very soon,

Really? My elderly neighbour is on his second Magentis & hasn't had a single problem with them (although both of his have been petrols).

I think it's been said before, and good advice, that £2k isn't a great price point because it's too expensive to scrap if the car in question has a big expense. In the £500 to £1000 range is more like it.

Indeed. One of the bob-on bits of advice on autoshite. I bought my Fusion for about £1.5k (stupid price, I was in a tight spot) and then the cambelt was due (better do it), oh then a front spring broke (better do it) then there was a water leak (better fix it) and so it goes on. 2.5 years later its a £3-500 car but with silly money spent on it. Lesson learnt. Never again.

If he is happy with a boot rather than a hatch or estate then go hunting through Volvo V60s, auto or manual, diesel or petrol, all should see you north of 200k miles, if well looked after.

Oddly there doesn't seem to be much of an increase in age/mileage between those costing £2000 and those costing about £1300 on Gumtree so look over a wide price range and be fussy.