E38 728i, Cornwall £400

83C

Edit: Now for sale, definitely, certainly. No going back.

2000 E38 728i Sport. Located near Perranporth, Cornwall.

Been in the fleet for over 18 months, I really don't want to sell but I can't realistically see myself getting round to fixing it anytime soon. 140,000ish miles on the clock.

Good: Stil a tidy car, some very minor bubbling on rear arches. Genuine Sport model (18" M alloys, M steering wheel, anthracite headlining, sports leather seats), late facelift model. 2.8 M52TUB28 engine.

Bad: No MoT. Needs as a minimum strut top mounts doing (supplied with car). Main beam goes on and off randomly when indicator stalk is set to Dipped Beam, doesn't come on at all when set to Main Beam. Runs but in Engine Failsafe Mode, fault code is P1560 Throttle stuck/sluggish. Washer jets poor, suspect in tank filter blocked. Fuel tank leaks - fine provided it isn't run with more than half a tank, passed MoT like it last year.

£400 - this is effectively what the wheels are worth, and you get an entire 728i thrown in with them. Will need moving with a trailer. First person to put money in my hand takes it.

Pictures to follow tomorrow when I get onto a proper computer and can add them.

£500+ for an 85l pattern one, no 95l pattern tanks - though this will be 85 anyway. I'm told the BMW tank is NLA, but I haven't asked - it was in the £800 - 900 region. A good secondhand tank is £250+, but try finding one.

Most people, myself included - though I do have a tank to fit in my daily - operate on the £30 basis.

If you want the car for yourself, wire in. I've to sort out mutually agreeable collection and it is literally the other end of the world. I'm seeing my transport guy today and I've told the seller I'll pay his asking price, but there is no binding deal done.

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e38/Fuel_Tank/E38_Fuel_Tank_Repair.htm 

I wonder how successful this is as a repair...

the only problem I can see is that the rust is still there but now entombed in putty. next time it rusts through I suspect the entire stub will come off

Get around this my neutralising the rust first, then zinc prime the bare metal then glop it up. Alternatively you can get petrol resistant tape, used it on the rubber filler hose on my range rover when some thieving scroat made off with all my unleaded by cutting the filler pipe. the tape is pez resistant, stretchy and very sticky and could be wrapped around the stub instead of putty, at least that could be removed if needed, the new filler hose could fit over it :D simples

the only problem I can see is that the rust is still there but now entombed in putty. next time it rusts through I suspect the entire stub will come off

Get around this my neutralising the rust first, then zinc prime the bare metal then glop it up. Alternatively you can get petrol resistant tape, used it on the rubber filler hose on my range rover when some thieving scroat made off with all my unleaded by cutting the filler pipe. the tape is pez resistant, stretchy and very sticky and could be wrapped around the stub instead of putty, at least that could be removed if needed, the new filler hose could fit over it :D simples

Just had a thought Re: this.

(And I know he's bloody reading this)  Glenn, You know that tape we used for the intercooler pipe on the Saab?  Is that petrol resistant?  :-D

I'm getting more and more tempted, and I know damn well she will nail my bollocks to a wall for it. 

HOWEVER, during the week I live and work in Plymouth, only seeing her on the weekends. In theory, I could just keep it on the base and have it as my dirty little secret.

Folks, for the first time in history my wife has actually stepped in and told me not to sell a car. Seems she rather likes the E38 too. I'm not totally decided either way but for now the sale will on hold. 

The Mercedes and the Volvo are definitely for sale though!

(And I know he's bloody reading this)  Glenn, You know that tape we used for the intercooler pipe on the Saab?  Is that petrol resistant?  :-D

I'm getting more and more tempted, and I know damn well she will nail my bollocks to a wall for it. 

HOWEVER, during the week I live and work in Plymouth, only seeing her on the weekends. In theory, I could just keep it on the base and have it as my dirty little secret.

I was actually wondering whether Glenn would buy this one as a parts car / better shell to put parts of Herman into.

How is Herman anyway these days?

Folks, for the first time in history my wife has actually stepped in and told me not to sell a car. Seems she rather likes the E38 too. I'm not totally decided either way but for now the sale will on hold. 

The Mercedes and the Volvo are definitely for sale though!

Good man. It was too cheap anyway - that's £895 on Autotrader.

£500+ for an 85l pattern one, no 95l pattern tanks - though this will be 85 anyway. I'm told the BMW tank is NLA, but I haven't asked - it was in the £800 - 900 region. A good secondhand tank is £250+, but try finding one. Most people, myself included - though I do have a tank to fit in my daily - operate on the £30 basis. If you want the car for yourself, wire in. I've to sort out mutually agreeable collection and it is literally the other end of the world. I'm seeing my transport guy today and I've told the seller I'll pay his asking price, but there is no binding deal done.

With a hypothetical £500 budget, I reckon you could get a fabricator to make a one off tank and still have a fair few quid left over. Especially if you were prepared to accept a slightly reduced capacity to simplify manufacture.

But with a £500 budget, would you not just get the pattern one and rustproof it to death before fitting?

Yes, but I was majoring on the 'fair few quid left over'.

It's a long time since I've commissioned anything from a fabricator, but I was always impressed by what could be done for a price as a one off.

(And I know he's bloody reading this) Glenn, You know that tape we used for the intercooler pipe on the Saab? Is that petrol resistant? :-D

I imagine it is, a friend used it to seal his exhaust for several MOTs, however it doesn't have any adhesive qualities without being stretched onto itself.

Round a fuel pipe, I would foresee no problems as a short term repair, round a tank? No chance.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...