307 SW collected, need help with fuel leak

rainagain

There's millions of 1.6 HDIs on the road, not all of them have blown up. I'd still go for petrol though, I've had a diesel, it was ok but the insurance was a fortune and it didn't save me a great deal in fuel. Then this afternoon the injectors decided to retire at 130,000 miles during a test drive of the potential new owner. I shall be stripping it down on Monday before it goes to the breakers.

I don't feel too hard done to, once I've finished it should have cost me £200 for 7 months motoring... A colleague pays away £360 a month to rent one so I think I've done ok.

I've just retired a 90bhp 2.0 diesel one; no dmf on these, easy changed uncoded injectors, egr easily disabled with a golf tee; I really rate these, they can take abuse and minimal maintenance; I'd take a hundred quid for mine and can't give it away; it's a fucked up world when a working diesel car isn't worth that; it feels consistently as unburstable as any old diesel Pug tbh

You could never get that engine in the SW; I'd be more careful of a 1.6; they're an oil sensitive engine. And oil sensitive owners in the thousand pound car range are rare

I'd have an Phase 1 V70 / 850 in a heartbeat over one though and a grand would buy a beauty

Or a Sharalaxy; they drive / are much better than you'd think and really are good reliable bigliness for cheaps

I've found a nice looking 307 estate locally, however it's the estate and not the SW. This means it doesn't have the nice panoramic windscreen but more importantly doesn't have the mountings for the extra seats I need in the rear. I've tried to google this to death but I can't get a proper answer. Does anyone know if I can just bolt in the mountings and seat belt reels from a 307 SW at the breakers into an estate to allow me to fit the extra seats in the rear?

Curiously I have a 307 estate 1.6 diesel at the mo.

It's just a loan car, but it seemed usefully brisk on the way home.

It didn't blow up and the windscreen wipers are huge.

I'll have another look in the morning...

That would be great, the one I've seen is less than £400 and looks good.

Well I went to see the 307 'estate' that was advertised on gumtree. Whilst sitting inside the car, my OH says to me "what's the panels in the roof for?"

"I don't know" I say, my OH then points out that the roof is all glass. Turns out this 'estate' is actually a SW!

However it's not all good, there's a slight chirpy noise that goes away when the clutch is pressed and feels a bit juddery taking up drive, it's also a 2.0 HDi 110 so possibly it has a buggered dmf.

The problem with the rear brakes turns out to be an abs fault shown on the dash. :(

But at less than half the cost of other SWs I've seen I couldn't say no! I'm assuming ebay Peugeot planet is the cheapest way to diagnosis abs fault?

So stay tuned for me pouring money into this pit soon....

The ones with the panoramic roof are a nice idea, but for whatever reason they weight more than the moon. Something like 1700kg, the hatch is 1200 and the normal SW is 1400. I assume they've put a lot of wrought iron in the front end to keep things straight so it doesn't pop the glass all over your head.

It does make it nice and airy inside though.

Abs fault will most likely be fixed with a good wire brushing and clean up of rear brakes; they rust like fuck and put the reluctor ring out of true; literally a take off, clean, and put back together

I've had two hatchbacks so far and that's done the trick, battery disconnect cleared the fault; but both were early 2.0 90s; I'm not sure if later ones are a little more involved

Abs fault will most likely be fixed with a good wire brushing and clean up of rear brakes; they rust like fuck and put the reluctor ring out of true; literally a take off, clean, and put back together

I've had two hatchbacks so far and that's done the trick, battery disconnect cleared the fault; but both were early 2.0 90s; I'm not sure if later ones are a little more involved

It's a 2002 so hopefully this will sort it. How did you know which one to clean? Did you use any diag sw?

These had a bad rep for clutch/flywheel issues (on the diesels) when new. No idea why, but the problem seemed to affect the SW particularly. This is from memory. I like them though - nearly bought a pez one last year. Any damage to the glass roof would write it off no doubt - I saw one for sale with cracked and leaking roof.

The 2.0 8 valve HDI is basically bomb proof; it's the only diesel engine that I know of that will survive a cambelt break (normally they just bust a few rocker arms).

Also you can replace the DMF with a solid flywheel, I did it on my 806 HDI.

My neighbours have a 306 HDI SW and they don't seem to be able to kill despite much abuse and neglect.  The electric roof doesn't work and the power steering pump is noisy but apart from that it all works.

They also did a Berlingo and Doblo with seven seats but I have no idea what they go for.

My old boss had a Honda FRV and loved it.

Picked up the 307 today and drove to my dads to store it/sort abs.

When I got there, there was diesel all down the side of the car. The tank looks damp as well. There's a big jubilee on the filler pipe where it enters the tank. The fuel has come out the filler neck, it looks like part of the neck isn't lined up right. There's also a piece of string attached to the shocker tower which I suspect is something to do with it.

Anyone seen a filler neck like this, it looks like a pipe inside a larger pipe.

post-17353-0-08757900-1493492452_thumb.jpg

post-17353-0-93582300-1493492490_thumb.jpg

Usually a pipe that vents out through the back of the bumpers into an actual vent. Once had a really strong smell of fuel on a car years ago, turned out the flaps that are on the vents had stuck shut.

I would wire brush the area back round the filler pipe where it runs from the tank then reseat it all, possibly using some RTV sealant where a leak looks possible.

HBOL ordered moments before I found a pdf version online for free

In the meantime I thought I would have a go at cleaning the interior to try and get rid of the smoke smell. I used the two bucket wrong 'un method. As you can see I managed to remove a fair bit of filth

post-17353-0-38800700-1493746110_thumb.jpg