2004 (54) SEAT Ibiza FR TDI PD130 - now SOLD

Dr Mike Oxgreen

2004 (54) SEAT Ibiza FR TDI PD130 - now SOLD

Could they have squeezed any more letters and numbers into the model designation?

170,000 miles.

Silver ("Lunar grey", I think). This is the 'warm hatch' diesel version of the Mk4 Ibiza. 130bhp out of the factory, but this one is remapped to a claimed ~170bhp and is quick, and very torquey.

I have owned this car since it was about 6 months old with about 6,000 miles - so I know everything there is to know about this car's history.

The car is mechanically sound, and has been serviced on time and with the correct PD oil throughout its life. It has had new cam belts at 60,000 mile intervals, and if you continue this schedule then it'll want another one at 180k. I confess, in recent years I've not bothered to keep records, so you'll have to trust me on the service history. MOT September.

It has climate control (which works), levva steering wheel, electric mirrors, trip computer.

Bad points:

* The car is cosmetically tatty, with a dent and scrape down the right hand side where someone drove into me. There is also a spot of bubbling surface rust near the passenger side front arch. There is also a gouge out of the plastic part of the driver's door sill. Wheels are a bit tatty.

* The stereo head unit is sulking since the car had a new battery fitted about 9 months ago, and I discovered that the security code given to me by the dealer that sold it to me is not the correct code. You'll need to take it to a dealer and see if they can look it up on a database to get the right code, or buy a cheap replacement head unit.

* Broken front fog light. Not an MOT failure.

* Driver's side mirror doesn't demist, and both mirrors move together when you try to move the right-hand one. Left one moves independently, so you can adjust them with a bit of faffing - just adjust the driver's one first.

* The car has covered 170,000 miles and has never had a new clutch. It's not showing any signs that I've noticed, but it will go sooner or later I'd have thought.

* When low on fuel, the low fuel warning gives spurious warnings when waiting at junctions. No idea why, but probably some electrical weirdness. Doesn't happen if more than a quarter tank, and never when on the move.

* As mentioned, it is due for a cam belt at 180k if you are so inclined.

Good points:

* Two new front tyres (Uniroyal Rainsport 3) only a few weeks ago. Rears have about 4mm tread remaining.

* New battery about 9 months ago.

* Just serviced. Bloke said the brake pads have good meat left on them, although discs might need doing next time. Had a replacement intercooler hose fitted (common failure on this engine), both track rod ends replaced and tracking done. Front ARB bushes replaced - suspension now silent. Car is driving beautifully!

I don't want to scrap it, because mechanically it's far too good. I would like to pass the car on to someone who will use it, because I'm quite sure the engine has another 170,000 miles left in it.

I'm only getting rid of it because I need something bigger with more load-carrying capacity. Picking up a Saaaaaaaaab 9-5 estate on Tuesday, so the SEAT will be available for you to take from Wednesday. Bung me £100 for it, or whatever you think it's worth. I'm in Woking, and available most days.

Yeah, I don't feel I can ask much more because the clutch is a ticking time bomb.

The car has given me fantastic service and owes me nothing - I just want it to go to a good owner.

I've had a couple of PMs asking to see it, which I'll respond to. I could let it go straight away, but if the purchase of the Saaaaab falls through for any reason that would leave me relying* on my TVR.

* That's the irregular verb form of "rely", which involves much swearing when the fucking thing won't start.

Guest Breadvan72

I have seen this car and heard it make brum brum noises and can confirm that it is Barrytabulous and that Dr Mike is a person of repute and standing (well, in Woking, anyway).