Dollywobbler's Dodgy Daimler - Dead

dollywobbler

About time we had a full Caper Report. If you're sitting comfortably, then I shall begin.

Yesterday seems so long ago, yet it was around lunchtime that I jumped into the Nippa for the drive to Caersws train station.

C97wPScXcAIPbug.jpg

Mrs DW would be driving the Nippa back again. Our departure was rather later than planned, and much hooning would be needed. So, the Nippa began misfiring, as apparently it does when cold. I was worried it wasn't going to clear, and almost abandoned the journey in favour of the 2CV. I'm glad we didn't.

There was more overtaking than is sensible in a car with an 847cc engine, and some concern was expressed from the passenger seat. I ran to the station, grabbed my tickets and had about a minute before this photo was taken.

C9798h7XgAIAlDA.jpg

At Shrewsbury, I was turfed off the above train onto barely a train at all. This is a Class 153. It has a noisy Cummins engine. I liked it.

C98HvQyWsAAn0uq.jpg

Also at Shrewsbury. I have no idea why this Mini Flame Red is here.

C98I3wIW0AEN75O.jpg

This is the back end of the Class 153 at Crewe. It is different to the front end. I actually Googled facts while on the train.

C98UVRNXsAA12MB.jpg

They were two-carriage trains, but then they split them up and grafted a 'front' on at the back if you see what I mean.

At this point, I decided it was time for one of my five a day. Raspberry innit?

C98XGxpXgAAMMF9.jpg

Train 3 howled into view. I'd be on this one for over three hours.

C98g-YiXkAAx_KS.jpg

Stupid sign.

C98ueIFXYAANqV7.jpg

Posh afternoon tea alongside my comprehensive tool kit.

C985NhZXsAAAxoe.jpg

PLUG PLUG. We got to Glasgow, and I found all three of my magazines for sale in the shop. I knew from then on that I would like Glasgow.

C99Q51WXkAYN26T.jpg

I got a tour of the sights from 320Touring, in the latest luxury vehicle north of the border. It had an exotic name. I think it was Decoder Labia.

C99jM6VWAAAfihA.jpg

For reasons of COMPLICATE, I would not be seeing the car until the next day, as neither me nor 320Touring would be sleeping anywhere near his house. However, Mrs 320Touring would be, so I got a SNEAK PREVIEW.

C99xsSwXcAANZjv.jpg

To be continued...

This morning dawned bright and early. It really was very pleasant. I bade farewell to my Airbnb hostess and stepped on to the street to the sound of a clattering VAG. Yes, the Frodo Rabbi-er was back. I shall spare you a photo. We travelled to a Halfrauds, which refused to tell us which fuel filter is fitted to an XJ40. We guessed and bought two hose clips. 320Touring had a supply of fuel pipe.

We drove to the Daimler's location, and I began to question my sanity.

C-AXCMIXYAAMZ8r.jpg

I really did. Why on Earth had I travelled 300 miles FOR THIS?

C-AYf2nXoAAyQr7.jpg

Ah, yes. That is why. Makes perfect sense.

C-Aa0cNXYAAjpEt.jpg

We set to. Problems. Nearside rear wheel was balder than Patrick Stewart, fuel was leaking from places unknown.

C-ApaEFXoAEudiq.jpg

I crawled underneath and turned a drip of petrol into an impressive spray. Yup, the pipe itself was knackered. That was good, because the guess-filter was wrong. Entirely. Only one bodge-solution available here. Cut the pipe, insert rubber section, job jobbed. I did this, once I finally managed to get a hacksaw in to cut the pipe. Amazing! It worked! Sadly, it also revealed another leak further up the pipe. Sheesh. Why did we only buy two hoseclips?!

320Touring went for a drive in his Boarder Manbeer and got more clips. I inserted another section. Job officially jobbed! No more fuel leak. We held the fuel lines in places with zip ties, because Roadkill.

With that success, we set off for a fuel station, because Autoshite. Here's 320Touring with the Skuda Fabya. (genuine Scottish)

C-DGdRMW0AEeSM7.jpg

Success was short-lived. A side repeater was out on the nearside, despite which it was the offside indicator that was flashing in double-time. Also, the offside front wheel was HOT. Arse. Not what you want for a 300-mile drive, after just a couple of miles.

So, more tinkering.

C-BSa5bXUAAh1H1.jpg

Wheel off, and the sliders didn't look healthy. We pulled them out. Getting the caliper itself off turned into faff of the highest order. No grease on the backs of the pads, so they were stuck solid to the caliper. After many crafty whacks, we finally got the thing apart. 320Touring cleaned up the sliders, while I tried to free the main piston. Nothing doing to the honest, so I cleaned it up as best I could, greased up the pads and the channels they slide in, refitted the caliper with its now-clean sliders, and wondered whether this would make any difference at all.

I went for a test drive. To Tebay! Well, ok. I stopped after a couple of miles, and checked the wheel wasn't hot. No bother.

C-CBza8XgAAkfcr.jpg

Well, not entirely no bother. The heater controls don't work. None of them. So really hot air pours out of the screen vents when you're driving along. I was forced to risk the sunroof, which was at least a little quieter than opening the windows. The scenery was stunning, pretty much all the way back. I set the cruise to 74mph and settled down.

By the time I reached Oswestry, more fuel was needed. I'd sloshed 50 litres in up in Glasgow, but most of it was now gone. The computer reckoned 23mpg. I reckoned it wasn't far off.

C-CirlPWsAA5KSC.jpg

I paused in Newtown, purely to take this photo.

C-DHAcRXoAA8K5B.jpg

After some time, I arrived home. Impressive time in fact. Just under six hours from Glasgow to my door. The Welsh section was enormous fun! This car just doesn't seem to want to drive slowly. It flows through the bends beautifully, and the ride is quite something, even though it's all a bit wobbly - I suspect the dampers and springs are all shot. 

C-C1frlXcAA_Kt8.jpg

Sure, the car stinks of transmission fluid, and needs an absolute ton of work, but I think I like it. These are very good cars fundamentally, just let down by horrible dashboards, shitty electrics and curious ergonomics. I'm feeling pretty happy right now, if a little tired...

The snagging list.

1. The heater controls do not work. At all. Currently, the heater is set to demist, so maximum heat at the windscreen. I had to drive with either the sunroof or the windows open. This spoiled the ambience.

2. The right-hand indicators flash in double-time, as if a bulb is out. A bulb is not out, and they flash at normal speed outside.

3. The left-hand indicators flash normally, then in double-time. Justified. The side indicator bulb has blown, and is utterly corroded in place. I suspect a new unit will be needed.

4. The sunroof is rotten. A spare, in completely the wrong colour, is in the boot. Given I live in Wales, I'll have to fit it.

5. The horn does not work. Nor does the screenwash. The Vehicle Control Module tells me Fuse 1 is dead. Maybe that's the problem. It explains the lightning warning symbol on the dash.

6. After a few minutes of running, the engine stumbles. Then it throws on the Check Engine light, and runs much more sweetly. I decided to ignore this.

7. The offside front caliper probably needs replacing. I suspect the nearside front is the same.

8. The dampers feel tired. Bit bouncy. At least these only have two at the rear.

9. The steering feels a touch vague at times. I suspect rack mounts.

10. The map reading lights do not work. Frankly, this was almost a deal breaker.

A project car is what I wanted, so I guess it's filling that role very nicely! Quite what I do about the shameful bodywork and horrendous lacquer peel, I'm not sure. Off out in the 2CV for 'drive it day' today, so I'm mostly ignoring it for now. 

Guest Hooli

Nice buy. I do like XJ40s, easily the most comfy car for huge distances I've ever driven. The ergonomics and dash are spot on for me too, hence you must be a freak...

At that age, I'd get both fuseboxes out the footwells, cut them open & resolder the main joint. It cracks & gives rise to all sorts of random electrical entertainment.

Oh you ain't wrong about them flowing in bends, it's surprising how many sporty moderns you can upset in great comfort with one.

Nice buy. I do like XJ40s, easily the most comfy car for huge distances I've ever driven. The ergonomics and dash are spot on for me too, hence you must be a freak...

Oh come on! All well and good having a computer, but then most of the buttons for it are hidden behind the steering wheel. The cruise control levers and button are another half-arsed mess. Also, I'd far rather have the window switches on the centre console, and the column stalks are too low. It is very, very comfortable though.

Guest Hooli

I found the layout easy to remember & came to hand perfectly when driving. To me if I need to read the switches then they aren't laid out in an easy enough to remember format.

Newtown has a cracking WH Smith's, was in Welshpool for a week last year, plan another trip there later in the year. I think they should do gaffer tape in this shade of burgundy, great for covering speed holes in XJ40 front wings :)

Presumably, you were investigating item No.5 on your snagging list.  I have not seen a fuse (No.1?) so completely cremated before.  I've never owned a Jaguar ....... 

I have driven an XJ6 for 20 miles and was surprised at how cramped the driving position was for such a generously proportioned car.  They do ride well though.  The XJ40 must have retained the good ride and handling genes.

Buying this and taking it on a six hour trip immediately after your repairs, that's quite impressive. It makes me covet a certain turquoise X300 on this forum even more. By the way, would you have gone for this if it were a 3.2?

I don't know anything about the electrical issues on these but I had something similar happen to me on a Saab 9-3 last year. The fuse for the heater blower was starting to melt. No wonder the previous owner decided to leave it out. Lucky for me it was just the fuse that got ruined, not the fuse box. The heater blowers on those are know to seize somewhat. I reasoned this ended up drawing quite a lot of current from the system. For some reason the plastic on the fuse started to melt, but the fuse itself was intact. I wonder how many of these fuses actually do their job correctly.. Later my alternator failed.

Anyway my hypothesis, base on no evidence at all, is that your windscreen washer motor is at least partially siezed. It would mean every time someone pulled the stalk for washer fluid there would be an abnormally large current drawn from the system. Jag experts go ahead and shoot me down!