Dollywobbler's Dodgy Daimler - Dead

dollywobbler

Great video! Sounds like a quality motor, don't think I would be brave enough to buy a 350 quid Daimler and drive that distance home! Saying that though when you have fixed it up a bit and move it on I would buy a raffle ticket!

Oooh-ya! 

C-wJMoIWAAA50WJ.jpg

That's what I get for following advice from YouTube folk. Someone suggested it was worth a look here. Another friend has then suggested that we could be looking at the source of fusebox trouble. A dribble of water certainly can't be a good thing, though would it cause such melty carnage? Who knows. Still, not a lot I can do until I replace the dodgy oxygen sensor, sort out the sticky caliper and try it for an MOT. If it passes, there's a year of fun motoring ahead. If it doesn't, then Ebay beckons and I chalk it up to experience.

Guest Hooli

You don't need water to kill those fuse boxes. The main power supply to them feeds into the back of the box by a cable that's held on with a 10mm nut. The dirty great connector that goes to is too heavy for the solder on the board to support & cracks it.  You have to cut the box open, resolder that with a blowtorch & then resolder all the connections you cut to open the box.

Having said that, the inner wings right next to the fuseboxes often rot too. Oh & the double skinned bulkhead in the middle where the wiper motor is as the stupid drain thing blocks up...

The camel's back has been broken, my a constant siren now going off inside the car. I've disconnected the battery. So, the dodgy Daimler needs to go.

On the plus side - drives really rather nicely bar tired dampers, picnic tables.

On the down side - well, have a look through this thread! 

Currently SORN, but would drive away if you found a way of silencing the siren. 

Exactly. I don't regret it, because I really did enjoy the ridiculous capers, but the honeymoon period is definitely over. I need to be realistic about it, and it's just not the right car for what I need. I was just mucking about with this one in the hope Conrad would sort out his. ;-)

Sorry to see the rust pics, I've had a couple go there and further down in the bulkhead, is this a 'battery in boot' model? In their wiseness* the sheet metal was changed at the rear of the engine bay which makes later ones more rot prone there.

Sorry to see the rust pics, I've had a couple go there and further down in the bulkhead, is this a 'battery in boot' model? In their wiseness* the sheet metal was changed at the rear of the engine bay which makes later ones more rot prone there.

No, battery is in the engine bay. I'll see if I can find why this siren is going off later today.

Exactly. I don't regret it, because I really did enjoy the ridiculous capers, but the honeymoon period is definitely over. I need to be realistic about it, and it's just not the right car for what I need. I was just mucking about with this one in the hope Conrad would sort out his. ;-)

You did spur me on to sort mine out! I have a new steering rack in the post. I'm hoping it will be MOT'd by this time next week. 

Hmm, when you say siren, is it a horrible constant high pitched shriek? When we picked up the Jag, we somehow triggered such a noise (we think by adjusting the steering wheel). It was also constant whether the ignition was on or not. 

Jiggling the wiring around the steering column sorted it, and it has never returned (even when I've adjusted the steering wheel).

It seems the aftermarket immobiliser was at fault. Randomly pulling wires out if it has shut it up! AND the engine still starts. BONUS! (you didn't have to use the immobiliser before starting the engine anyway, which is odd).

Yes folks, that means you can DRIVE AWAY! Yes, for just £350 down, you get superb* luxury, don't forget those picnic tables folks. You could be a winner! (not legally binding)