Midlands Massive outreach project - the booze crooze

Inspector Morose

It really does depend on what the majority want to do chap.

Richard, found that viewpoint last week. It is rather good! Calais beach is good too, especially walking out onto the wall to watch the ferries passing by close up.

I understand that mate. I'll try and ride the majority.

DFDS Dover - Calais is perfectly fine. They use the two ex Sea France ferries, renamed and done up a bit plus an older ferry. It's all quite in the spirit of the trip and they're cheap!

Dates. How does around 13th May sound to folks? 12th if you want a weekday or 14th if you want a Sunday.

Saturday will suit those looking for a stopover Friday night as hotel prices are usually a bit cheaper on a Friday (reps have gone home and weekenders won't be there until the Saturday).

Hmm..... I could do those dates.

Would a Sunday be better then a Saturday if it's a weekend?

I'd recommend checking that the shops/warehouses you intend to visit actually open on Sunday, the French take the sabbath a bit more seriously than we do, in my experience!

I'm teetotal now so I'm out, I'm afraid. However I used to rate the Calais Wine Superstore when I was a pisshead:

https://www.calaiswine.co.uk/

If you pre-order enough booze, £250 worth, they'll give you a booking code for a day trip on P&O or the tunnel, and their prices are competitive as far as I know, albeit that in the end I gave up on shopping around, just used to go there, and to the Carrefour in Cite Europe.

Booze cruises used to be epic; a trip up to Tobacco Alley in Adinkerke for 60 packs of Golden Virginia (per person) at £2.50 each, then Tescos in Cite Europe for their own brand South African plonk at a quid a bottle, followed by a wander round the legendary Eastenders for a few* cases of their house brand, Dog's Bollocks. It all petered out in about 2007-8 when the pound crashed. It's still worth going if you're a committed boozer, but the glory days are long gone.

I suppose had it never been that good I might not have become an alky, so best not to get too misty eyed about it I guess.

It's not really about the booze, it's an homage to the heady days when the Sealink or Townsend Thoresen ferry was filled to the gunwales with old chod laden down with 20 cases of Blue Nun and best bitter bought from some anonymous shed in the industrial parks around Calais. As you say, the peak is well and truly over and like the happy eater or little chef, is in steady decline.

It's also more of a chance to get together and go somewhere a little different to the usual car auction or museum and for those who have never driven abroad to have a tiny taste in the company of more experienced shiters.

We saw the BaSe Sierra tour the Little Chefs last year in company with others in celebration of a fast disappearing tradition, this is a similar chance to relive those times. Alcohol is well and truly optional!

Mrs h and I did it quite a few times, back in the day.

We used to bring a fair bit of wine  and beer back, however we ended up bringing load of other stuff back also. Car spares were dirt cheap in the supermarkets - batteries, wipers, filters always used to be a good buy.

Even things like washing machine liquid was really cheap - 10 litres for the price of one here. No longer unfortunately.

Twenty years ago our 2cv club did a couple of crossings each year- it was £18 return then for the car!

I can't make the 12 May unfortunately, but have fun. I'm off to France on the 17th for a few days in Normandy.

I think a consensus has been made. 12 May it is. I'd rather not leave it later due to it being too close to Shitefest.

Itinerary: meet up at Folkestone services at 7:45 with ticket in hand and convoy to ferry. There is a 9:10 crossing with DFDS and that's the one I'll be on. Everything else, we'll play it by ear. I suggest when booking ferry, put the return as 18:50 giving us plenty of time over the water.

All those wishing to partake, please let me know when you've booked so I don't feel too lonely and sad when sitting at the services (and I know who to expect when or if they turn up!)

I think a consensus has been made. 12 May it is. I'd rather not leave it later due to it being too close to Shitefest.

Itinerary: meet up at Folkestone services at 7:45 with ticket in hand and convoy to ferry. There is a 9:10 crossing with DFDS and that's the one I'll be on. Everything else, we'll play it by ear. I suggest when booking ferry, put the return as 18:50 giving us plenty of time over the water.

All those wishing to partake, please let me know when you've booked so I don't feel too lonely and sad when sitting at the services (and I know who to expect when or if they turn up!)

SHOTGUN.

Yes, 18:30. I blame the case of Chardonnay I'm currently working through. I think I'm going to take the lazy way out as the chances of me getting up at 04:00 is highly unlikely.

If any Dover area shiters are around on Thursday night for a meal......impromptu meet?

I'm probably going to look for a b&b. or cheap hotel somewhere local.