Midlands Massive outreach project - the booze crooze

Inspector Morose

Now the sun is in our hemisphere for longer than it isn't the mind is turning to things to do with my time that isn't gardening or reading all of the Internet.

Would anyone be interested in a trip to France? I mean in the old style 80's English tradition of the booze crooze - meaning a cheap 24hr ferry ticket to drive to some god forsaken French trading estate warehouse that is overpopulated with antifreeze laden plonk and sun readers in equal measure. Topped off with a French service station lunch and then return on the ferry laden with tales of the purchase of a vat of blue nun for the equivalent of £2.50

Prices for ferries seem to be around £40 for a car and two people - if anyone wants to come but don't have the means, just buddy up and split the costs of the ticket.

Add the fuel costs and it all comes to £not much to relive the days of yore.

Just an idea for something different to do - what do you think?

When?

I'm off to France in may for a few days. Day returns are £45 ish at the moment.

I can recommend two restaurants in Calais - Le Détroit and l'histoire ancienne. And franglais vins is good for a very wide selection of wine from 2 Euro to 200.

http://www.histoire-ancienne.com

http://www.restaurantledetroit.com

http://www.wine-calais.co.uk

Well, I've just done a day trip using DFDS - extra points for them using the ex-Sea France ferries. Cost £35 on good Friday.

Time and date really to be suitable for most. It's an ideal opportunity for those who have never driven abroad to get a quick taste of driving "on the wrong side" it also an excuse for us all to meet up.

Rough plan - meet up early at services just outside Dover having pre booked ferry beforehand.

Convoy to docks and onto ferry causing some consternation to the border guards on the way in.

Piss about around Calais for a few hours. Those in the know showing others the ways of driving and mooching abroad.

Find a cafe/service station/eatery (open to any suggestions but please for others, keep it on the cheaper end) and munch.

In true 1980s stylee find a shonky wine warehouse for those who partake of such libations to stock up.

Catch ferry and create some confusion to the French military on the border control as a multitude of shit old cars make for England.

Have a laugh.

It's meant to be a cheap laugh so doubling up is good and if Julian is game, he may be able to conjour up some sort of game for the journey.

Over to you all to suggest dates and places. When there is about 6 or 7 cars, a date will be picked and game on!

Midweek would be quieter (and possibly cheaper) but if the majority aren't able to make it due to work then a weekend it is. Would a Sunday be better then a Saturday if it's a weekend?

I'll look at the ferry company prices today and come back with some possible dates but I'm thinking within the next few weeks.

Also, the crossing will be an earlyish one in the morning (about 09:30) to give plenty of time over the water, return likely to be around 19:00 ish so those wishing to join in from further afield might want to look into digs around Dover. There are many available and cater for most budgets though.

If anyone finds out about any events in the Calais area they'd like to go to then suggest away but this trip is more aimed to be about a journey with a bunch of mates than actually having much point to it, if you get what I mean!

Let's have a list of definite interest. Two people per car will be cheaper, as I've said, so if you can....

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

8:

9:

10:

Right. Just checked on ferry prices. DFDS are still on the £35 for a car and two people. P+O are significantly more but posher ships. So there's that plus fuel and a bit for food two sharing would piss it for about £40 each.

I'm saying the ferry as its significantly cheaper plus it gives the sense of occasion that sitting in your own car in a box just doesn't have. If this is a sucess and a longer journey is planned, however, now that's a different story.

DFDS Dover - Calais is perfectly fine. They use the two ex Sea France ferries, renamed and done up a bit plus an older ferry. It's all quite in the spirit of the trip and they're cheap!

Dates. How does around 13th May sound to folks? 12th if you want a weekday or 14th if you want a Sunday.

Saturday will suit those looking for a stopover Friday night as hotel prices are usually a bit cheaper on a Friday (reps have gone home and weekenders won't be there until the Saturday).

Any chance of going for end of may during week? Gives me time to get holiday in at work and for all us to battle out the finer details too? After 21st is good but obviously if folk want sooner I'll see what I can do.

It really does depend on what the majority want to do chap.

Richard, found that viewpoint last week. It is rather good! Calais beach is good too, especially walking out onto the wall to watch the ferries passing by close up.

It really does depend on what the majority want to do chap.

Richard, found that viewpoint last week. It is rather good! Calais beach is good too, especially walking out onto the wall to watch the ferries passing by close up.

When I was little, forty years ago! Whilst waiting for the ferry my parents took us to the beach. My four year old sister promptly fell in the sea and had to wear some of my clothes as they were the only accessible ones in the back of the Dyane. She says it scarred her for life!