My capri laser project

fordperv

Right folks its about time i introduce you all to my capri project thats been sat at my mums for a few years, ive had this car since 2008 as all of you will remember this was before they became subject to omgoldfordtax

2011-04-24163640.jpg

2011-04-24163138.jpg

I loved driving this car looking down that long bonnet

DSC_0303_zps5e8e91cf.jpg

it was my daily car up until 4 years ago when i had an unfortunate accident, a roundabout was covered in diesel, i went around and understeered and hit a railing, there was nothing i could do

DSC_0517.jpg

DSC_0518.jpg

The accident crumpled the inner wing, headlamp bowl, wing, valance, bumper, it bent the steering arm, buggered the rack and arb mount, a good mate popped up and we heated the headlamp bowl and pulled it straighter with a chain and pulley on a telegraph pole, another mate whose a breaker raided his parts for replacements for me and i got it looking like a car again so i could drive it, my insurance cat c the car but i wasnt too fussed, i drove it up until the m.o.t ran out then parked it up at my mums to work on as i had no space, i started collecting as many new parts as i could for it, i even bought another to break in my neighbours drive which i cut the inner wing out of as a repair section, the only downfall is mum works nights so i cant start tin bashing in the day, so i mainly did mechanical things, she used to get no end of people door knocking to buy it, a week ago I decided to make some space and actually fire into it, so i popped up put a battery on and she fired into life, the brakess were still free, it's like it was just waiting to be saved

20170408_181120_zpsgf7jc6vb.jpg

20170408_182529_zps40ogza5z.jpg

I then proceeded to strip it down, Look at the twist in that headlamp bowl

20170409_133831_zpsmoai2in3.jpg

20170409_133841_zpsln2ii33w.jpg

surgery begins

20170409_145458_zps4pboqlgf.jpg

20170409_145455_zpsfeqyswtl.jpg

I also had to do a rust repair to the inner wing and the strengthener but havnt got a picture

Bring in the replacement

20170409_145501_zps5lpjntw6.jpg

Grafted in

20170418_162241_zpsoj1lkj0f.jpg

You notice the wing rail is rotten but before i could replace that i had to repair a common rot spot, i replicated all 3 skins as i wanted it to be spot on

20170418_162220_zpse39ky9dr.jpg

20170418_162212_zpstcx3klvq.jpg

Then it was time for the wing rail

20170418_175511_zps7b3iibed.jpg

The rust marks you can see in the pictures on the crossmember etc are literally that, a tickle with the flap disk and its clean steel

We're pretty much up to date with the repairs, i'll update when i can, when everything is done metalwork wise, im going to be doing an engine conversion to give it a little more go

Looking forward to see more on this, it should provide inspiration for me over the coming months.

It looks a good solid car too, apart from the unfortunate crash damage that is! It looks way more solid and original than mine does.

What is it, 1.6 or 2.0? What you planning for the engine?

Also, I don't know if you need to or not but what are your front sill ends like? The bit in the inner wing/A post area I mean. I've got a pair of new ones if you want them?

I bought them for mine but it turned out they were a bit inadequate for mine given the whole A post was shot too so I had the whole lot replaced with Ex-pressed panels complete A posts, leaving these small repair panels spare.

Looking forward to see more on this, it should provide inspiration for me over the coming months.

It looks a good solid car too, apart from the unfortunate crash damage that is! It looks way more solid and original than mine does.

What is it, 1.6 or 2.0? What you planning for the engine?

Also, I don't know if you need to or not but what are your front sill ends like? The bit in the inner wing/A post area I mean. I've got a pair of new ones if you want them?

I bought them for mine but it turned out they were a bit inadequate for mine given the whole A post was shot too so I had the whole lot replaced with Ex-pressed panels complete A posts, leaving these small repair panels spare.

This car is pretty solid as they go to be fair, i peeled the carpets back and its still nice under there so it's mainly cosmetics, originally it was a 1.6 but i popped a 2.0 in there, i am putting a C20XE in for a bit of a giggle, im going to run it on it's original injection, it will probably upset the purists but im not doing anything thats not reversable, ive got everything now for the conversion except a clutch and exhaust manifold, i havnt dug at the sill end yet but it will no doubt have some grot in them they all do, what do you want for them? Drop me a pm if you want

Cool. You do love a blue oval! Do you ever buy or own anything else? I'm not hating, I do like a nice mk3 Capri.

Wanna buy another S2 RST for the fleet?

Inner wing repair looks familiar lol Mine had already been kicked in the face before I bought it, though!

DSC00182.jpg

DSC00447.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

Crack on, fella. I know it's in good hands! (Your 3dr base and missus' S2 look great in the pic, too - who's is the other Capri?.)

That's my laser on the pic when i bought it around on the front, mrs fp ran upstairs and took the picture, i have owned other marques, in the past ive had an e30 2 door, a 3 door r8 214si, r8 414si, 4 5 door r8 214si, 3 door mk2 golf 1.8 driver, manta Berlinetta hatch, a 1990 2.6 Isuzu trooper, a 1275 metro, but i do love my fords

Funny the subject of Capri Lasers should come up. By staggering and highly unlikely coincidence, I saw this at the weekend......

post-19620-0-80307100-1492721101_thumb.jpg

"Its ages since I saw a Capri" is what I thought to myself before carrying on my shopping with a smile on my lips and a song in my heart

My mate had a D reg 2.0 Laser, had the twin choke on it and it went like stink! We took my mk2 1.6 and his Laser out a few times in convoy and his one used to leave mine in its dust.

It was a nice dark blue colour and had one elderly owner from new, it was a lovely solid car and the interior was immaculate. Sadly he didn't look after it all that well and the rot soon started setting in.

A couple of hours to kill earlier so decided to do a bit on this, i made 1 or 2 small holes on the a pillar behind the wing so cut the area out

20170422_135125_zpsgnqwihxm.jpg

The inner structure cleaned up nice, most of the area i removed was shiney steel but there was a rust peppering

20170422_135129_zpshvrcpu0v.jpg

A bit of hot metal glue

20170422_144810_zpsbg7rfgox.jpg

Welds flapped back a bit and primered, i havnt flushed them properly, this will get done at the prep and paint stage

20170422_153248_zpsi9czd5da.jpg

I also let a patch in just under the scuttle but it was that small its nothing to write home about, next up the bulge at the front of the sill, i hit it a few times with a hammer and made a hole but im in no way surprised, the kind offer of the repair panels from danthecapriman is a godsend, i am surprised at how good the regular capri rot spots are though I expected to weld much more

My mate had a D reg 2.0 Laser, had the twin choke on it and it went like stink! We took my mk2 1.6 and his Laser out a few times in convoy and his one used to leave mine in its dust.

It was a nice dark blue colour and had one elderly owner from new, it was a lovely solid car and the interior was immaculate. Sadly he didn't look after it all that well and the rot soon started setting in.

I used to have a Laser with a 205 block bored out to 2.1 - man that was fleet. My current Essex would have been eating its dust. Had a seriously loud exhaust with no silencer. Sold it to a boy from the Emerald Isles - his ears would have been bleeding by the time he got home!

Well it was dry today so i decided to fire into another couple of jobs on the front panel, both ends where it meets the wings were rotten

20170426_114648_zpswqenmglw.jpg

Repair section

20170426_114712_zpsgs6zhchf.jpg

Welded in

20170426_122518_zps6pplu3ic.jpg

2 patches were required lower down as well, ive got to trim the length of the repaired parts at the top as well

20170426_161245_zpswrxbyldl.jpg

Whilst I was doing this mrs fp popped out with a parcel for me, it was the sill end repair panels from danthecapriman (thanks alot bud) so i proceeded to do the passengers side to complete the repairs there

20170426_174423_zpsgpbcrnn6.jpg

I cleaned up and sorted the rest when i had took the picture

Repair patch i made up for the edge

20170426_174400_zpswovk6u3e.jpg

All done, i may have to cut the lower lip off a little but that can come when i fit the wing and ill grind the welds down another day

20170426_190622_zpsdbtypkhw.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well today's job was to remove the rest of the old slam panel sort the fitment of the wing and trial fit the panels, the wings i am using are pattern because this is not a money no object build, im simply making a tidy usable car they are old pattern not this new Shoite they are selling now, I had to hammer and dolly the back edge where it fits to the scuttle to close up the gap at the top edge of the door and the edge at the bottom by the door gap to bring it in line, as with any great magician i utilised my glamourous assistant (mrs fp) to help me put the replacement bonnet on and to get the gap right to the drivers wing that hasn't been disturbed so I know it's true, then proceeded to offer the front panel up, get the gap for the wing then drill and bolt it in place, im quite chuffed with the results

20170505_200328_zpsvhmgdazj.jpg

I'll have to do a little dollying around the headlamp aperture to make it as perfect as i can, im around 50 hours in on it now which I don't think is bad going

• 2 weeks later...

While the forum was down i added a strengthener from inner wing to strut turret the same as were fitted to v6 shells, it was roughly the right shape but required dollying to get the correct shape you can see the difference here

20170510_170400_zpsitnkw7zq.jpg

All fitted

20170510_172416_zpst8ewmnku.jpg

Today when I had finished at the gym the rain had stopped so I cracked on removing the drivers wing, I had no nasty surprises under there, in fact it was better than I expected

20170515_165350_zpsnvodwask.jpg

I sprayed a little primer to protect bare areas id made, it rained shortly after this picture so got to wait for the next dry opportunity