2006 Mondeo Estate (sold)

Jim Bell

I also have a Mk3 Mondeo estate and I reckon the Mondeo is a great value for money car. Mine is a 2 litre petrol with 168k on the clock but still runs perfect. Its very quiet inside and a great motorway cruiser.But what do I know?

Put my car up for sale recently and nobody was interested. Seems they are put off by the recent rise in the road tax from £270 when I bought mine, to £305 for twelve months. People would rather buy a cheaper tax motor and spend hundreds or scrap it when it goes wrong. Or go PCP. No accounting for taste!

I knew TDCI Mondeos were problematic but just reading the last few posts of this topic they sound utterly horrendous, are they really that bad?

Not really, certainly no worse than any other diesel from around that time. Given a lot of them have probably done 150-200k by now, anything could be trouble. You'd be very unlucky to have all the problems that they suffer from. If it's any consolation the 1.8 petrol is prone to the rings going which isn't cheap either.

Actuator killed mine.

Or rather, scared me into selling it. It's since done 40k or so after being fixed by someone not scared of getting involved with it.

But yes, there are literally so many working TDCis for sale with long or full test about now for considerably south of a grand that you can probably get a year's motoring and 25-30k of motorway trundling for nowt per mile. And they're ace. The 130hp engine is simply immense.

Even better chipped. That one I had went like a train, it just pulled and pulled.

A lot of people say they are shit, in a way they are, you are always fucking about cleaning the EGR out or trying to iron out the lumpy as fuck idle. But then there's an awful lot that have done 15 years and probably 200-250k. I saw one for sale recently that had done 320k, it'd obviously done someone a good turn.

Not sure if I'd have another, I've had a Mondeo petrol since and spent far less time pissing about on the driveway. In £'s it didn't save me all that much at all, it's saving grace was the mid range grunt if anything.

This is a forum that encourages people to buy Laguna2s. Im not expecting it to last forever, and I'm well aware that catastrophe is potentially always just round the next bend.

Till it all goes arse over tit, I'll just keep driving it round.

The neighbours diesel mk3 Mondeo has just died, but it did make it up to 270k do you should have a while yet.

Even better chipped. That one I had went like a train, it just pulled and pulled.

A lot of people say they are shit, in a way they are, you are always fucking about cleaning the EGR out or trying to iron out the lumpy as fuck idle. But then there's an awful lot that have done 15 years and probably 200-250k. I saw one for sale recently that had done 320k, it'd obviously done someone a good turn.

Not sure if I'd have another, I've had a Mondeo petrol since and spent far less time pissing about on the driveway. In £'s it didn't save me all that much at all, it's saving grace was the mid range grunt if anything.

Not necessarily, fine if its done 320k with not a lot of work needing done, but i suspect it hasnt.

A lot of people fall into the trap of "its done 400k miles and its still going, it must be reliable" well true it could mean that, or it could also mean its been owned by someone whos thrown a shitload of money at it to fix all its faults, taxi drivers for example, who are less likely to be put off spending £1500 on something when the rest of us would say "fuck that, scrap it" because it couldve had a lot of other work done previously or its saving them spending £15,000 on a replacement for a while longer. 

My car for example has done coming up on 155,000 miles and its just over 8 years old, when you tell people that they say "bulletproof" or "reliable" or "good old VW quality" or other shit and im like nope, its a bag of shit, its still going because everytime its broke its had money thrown at it. A high mileage is no guarantee of reliability or trouble free motoring is what im saying. 

Not necessarily, fine if its done 320k with not a lot of work needing done, but i suspect it hasnt.

A lot of people fall into the trap of "its done 400k miles and its still going, it must be reliable" well true it could mean that, or it could also mean its been owned by someone whos thrown a shitload of money at it to fix all its faults, taxi drivers for example, who are less likely to be put off spending £1500 on something when the rest of us would say "fuck that, scrap it" because it couldve had a lot of other work done previously or its saving them spending £15,000 on a replacement for a while longer.

My car for example has done coming up on 155,000 miles and its just over 8 years old, when you tell people that they say "bulletproof" or "reliable" or "good old VW quality" or other shit and im like nope, its a bag of shit, its still going because everytime its broke its had money thrown at it. A high mileage is no guarantee of reliability or trouble free motoring is what im saying.

I agree that high mileage is no guarantee but there are cars that with regular maintenance do seem to just go on and on. Yes there will be components replaced but most owners won't keep throwing money at an older car when big bills come along.

I think a lot of it is due to regular maintenance, driving style, i.e. lots of longer journeys, and a bit of luck.

My sharan is now on 210k and feels fine. I have no service history for it but suspect that it's been looked after in the past. I doubt it's had any major components replaced.

• 4 months later...

Due to an unfortunate change in circumstance, I'm offering the Mondeo for roffle.

My father passed away this week, meaning I'm tasked with disposing of his cars.

I would like to take on one of his cars, and can only afford to keep one, so I'm offering this one to the masses.

Its a 2006 Mondeo Estate 2.0 TDCi (the 130bhp one, not the 100bhp one).

120k.

MOT to 19/09/2018. Please check the MOT history online. I dont think theres a fail on the digital history.

Taxed and insured to drive away.

Extensive service history (see earlier in thread).

Its an LX model which I think is the lowest possible spec. Though oddly its still pretty well specced.

Six speed Manuel.

PAS

ABS

Air bags

EW

EM

Cruise

AC

Electric Drivers Seat Height Adjustment

Heated front screen

Internal fuel cap release.

CD/Radio with steering wheel controls.

Cargo net.

Load Cover.

Rear load area 12v socket.

Computer-ma-bob shows live MPG, External temp, Av speed, fuel range etc.

Tow bar.

Comes with a full size spare with a good tyre and the space saver.

Two keys.

Over my ownership of what, seven months? its averaged 47 ish MPG, passed its MOT straight clean and only let me down when the original battery gave out.

Pics:

post-5435-0-59192000-1518093913_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-36284600-1518093938_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-86010600-1518093972_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-94631000-1518093996_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-77944800-1518094018_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-72564400-1518094041_thumb.jpg

Highlights from service history include:

New Kwik fit battery with warranty 07/05/2017 (£118)

New Hankook tyre 25/09/17 (£55)

Duel mass clutch 25/07/2012 (£620)

Crankshaft pulley 16/07/2013 (£108)

Serpentine belt and tensioners 28/07/2013 (£264.74)

Bosch Fuel filter, oil filter, and oil 29/04/2017 (£35)

EGR and boost pipe 10/12/16 (£94)

Car is in good condition but has a few small dents, scrapes and flat spots round the panels. Nothing massive but not perfect.

post-5435-0-47276900-1518094884_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-54873300-1518094910_thumb.jpg

More pics and description to follow.

Sorry to hear about the passing of your father. Hope you and yours are coping as best you can.

I'll start the ball rolling with #28 on the raffle if you can.

(Re-written this about 5 times as its difficult to pass on condolences and then ask for ticket)

Thoughts with you at this time

Bad bits:

Needs a back box.  It failed after the flange at the can join so I removed the can.  The rest of the system is secure, nothing bangs or knocks and the car doesnt sound much different (unless you boot it, then it sounds a bit growly) So I wasnt in any real hurry to replace it.  I dont think youd notice unless you looked under the car.

Er, I think thats it. Everything works. I may have forgotten a few things but I'll update the thread if I remember anything.

Car is located at NE348NH in Northeast England.  Can collect from the local public transport depositories is required.

3.aldo135

4.bucketeer

5.pauldoubleyou

7.themoog

10.chaseracer

11.flat4

14.overrun

15.drum

16. J-T

17. Egg

18.craigtheprincess

19.ruffgeezer

23.rantingyoof

25.primeradoner

27.the moog

28.gadgetgricey

30.aldo135

33.sierramikehoteltangozebrayankee

34.rantingyoof

36.cavcraft

40.hertz

41.fatharris

42.Nyphur

44.sierramikehotelalfabravocharlie

45.primeradoner

48.blakey79

50. RobT

51.fatharris

52. Jazoli

55.jerzywoking

Sorry to hear about the old fella, WW. I’m sure he’d be chuffed that you’re taking one of his cars on. (It definitely warrants a collection thread, complete with bowel movement count)

I will be back for a ticket or two later in the week I hope. Meantime, y’all look fatter each other.

Sorry to hear about the old fella, WW. I’m sure he’d be chuffed that you’re taking one of his cars on. (It definitely warrants a collection thread, complete with bowel movement count)

Ill try my best to eat REALLY APPAULING UNHEALTHY SPICY FOODS between now and collection in the solemn hope that we can smash all forum collection thread bowel movement records right out into the long grass.

Ill try my best to eat REALLY APPAULING UNHEALTHY SPICY FOODS between now and collection in the solemn hope that we can smash all forum collection thread bowel movement records right out into the long grass.

As someone who is planning on being part of said collection thread; Oh shit.