Classic multicar insurance - massive premium increase from Footman James

John F

I have at least 3 policies on cars I no longer own just because I can't be arsed with the utter ball ache of trying to sort things out with the twats on the phone.

Last phone call I made I tried to swap the car on the policy and they wouldn't insure my new choice. Cancellation was going to be £200 so I just left it in hope that I can find a car that they will insure. It's only £20 a month down the drain...

I have at least 3 policies on cars I no longer own just because I can't be arsed with the utter ball ache of trying to sort things out with the twats on the phone.

It's also a potential way-beyond-utter-bawache if you get caught out like this: http://www.whitedalton.co.uk/motorbike-blog/2014/12/dont-leave-yourself-liable/ and have an insurer looking to recover losses.

Unlikely to happen, but the possibility is there.

We can all expect insurance costs to go up significantly because of 1. the EU's Solvency II Directive, which came into effect in 2016 and requires insurance companies to hold more capital (which costs them more money) and 2. The sudden change in the calculation for personal injury costs (known as the Ogden rate) by the Ministry of Justice last month.

The latter has put at least one household name insurer very close to going bust. You may cheer at this, but it's policyholders who lose out. Insurers are not making fat margins on car insurance. Brokers, lawyers, fraudsters and car rental companies may* be.

The renewals for the 320 and ovlov came through recently. The ovlov showed a decrease of about £7 while the 320 almost doubled. Both are with Lancaster.

A quick check on gomeerkatsaving.com showed Lancaster as about £40 less for the 320.

Then on the phone to them and by negotiation I managed to get the 320 premium down to the same as last year and a further tenner off the ovlov.

But why should we have to do this? Surely it makes better customer practice to offer the best price straight away and keep your clients rather than make them work for their discount and risk losing them.

Or is it just me???

But why should we have to do this? Surely it makes better customer practice to offer the best price straight away and keep your clients rather than make them work for their discount and risk losing them.

Or is it just me???

I guess the majority of people just renew and don't bother checking.

Its like people on standard gas/electric tariffs.

I've been with RH for years and have had very little to gripe about with them. But I last renewed before Hiscox took over. Let's hope their renewal figures are sensible, or I'll be giving Peter James a call. 

What I found was the post-Hiscox RH renewal was ~20% higher

It's a multicar policy I've had with RH for 12 years, and up until then had been outstanding.

The second gripe was the change in excess (for no apparent reason) from 0% (as agreed) to £150 - which could easily have been missed if I was napping.

When I rang it, seemed like they were expecting my call and had all the words ready...   not how RH used to feel.

As part of the discussions I mentioned I'd bought another car days before (1995 R8) and when they told me 'they don't insure Rovers of that age as classics', I reminded them I had a 1996 Alfa 146 on there the year before and a 1996 Citroen XM without problem either, two years prior.  I made them go back to the underwriter twice, to no avail.  or

However, FJ did want the Rover on their online quoter (although only after upping its value to over £1k), hint hint.

So the whole fleet was lapsed with RH and FJ took the coin and I saved ~£150 with a much less excess

RH lost a long-standing customer.

Untitled.png

Insurance costs were bound to go up massively when we started making the human neck out of glass. I mean has anyone actually been involved in a rear end collision since 1993 and NOT had whiplash?

Yes. I had a bit of a sore neck, so I didn't claim for whiplash. I did have a hire car though, no doubt at £900zillion a day or something.

I just tried Peter Best but they wouldn't insure my cars unless they were all garaged. Bunch of arse, their prerogative of course but considering where I live, I reckon they've got their wires crossed a bit.

The lass there said they won't insure owt in a Bradford postcode thats not garaged. Ho hum. Just did my renewal with Peter James as actually need to be insured tomorrow. My bad for being slow. Premium has gone up but not by much.

My FJ renewal is due on 10 may and had went up £100. I received a letter a couple of months saying premiums will now include credit score results and should lower premiums which is BS as my one is ok and it's went up.

I called FJ asking if my premium would be affected due to the non fault accident and they said it wouldn't so it's worth me staying for another year.

Had there not been accident I would be looking elsewhere

I just tried Peter Best but they wouldn't insure my cars unless they were all garaged. Bunch of arse, their prerogative of course but considering where I live, I reckon they've got their wires crossed a bit.

The lass there said they won't insure owt in a Bradford postcode thats not garaged. Ho hum. Just did my renewal with Peter James as actually need to be insured tomorrow. My bad for being slow. Premium has gone up but not by much.

WTF? That's a bit out of order, it's not exactly West Bowling or Holmewood where you are.

I've just done the annual classic renewal. I had 2 that were up for renewal, and a couple lapsed a month or so ago. I was hanging on to see if I got a decent 4 car deal

Contacted Adrian Flux. Ended up with :-

Mustang......Dauphine.....MGB..... and TR7. All on agreed value, me and mrs95 quid for 300 squids all in.