Value My Van

The Old Bloke Next Door

Owned by me and my mate for two years, Mot July 9th, 73500 miles, which will rise as its currently in daily use.

The good, its a practical diesel van with a full lengh roof rack and ply lined. No turbo, d.p.f or c.c injectors.

Four tyres with reasonable tread and two spare wheels. Two keys, both work. Very reliable and drives well.

The bad, its rough and ready, scruffy cab, lots of decorators paint inside and out. 

Dents, scratches and assorted rattles, no recent service history, short Mot. Water pump has a minor leak when in use, I top it up occasionally depending on mileage use.

Lots of previous welding before my ownership.

I was going to replace the cam belt, kit and pump when I bought it. However someone previously has welded the crank nut in place.

I did remove part of the cover and from what I could see the belt looks in reasonable condition. Radio inoperative. Mot history available online.

Genuine reason for sale as my Traders insurance expires on the 28th ( I'm not renewing) and insuring it separately is not cost effective.

Any way,  bearing in mind all of the above, What is the considered opinion of Autoshiter's as to its current value?

Sold one for £300 five years ago in better nick bodywise but the MOT was dubious and it did need welding.

Ignore the 0-60 times as they move fine in the real world, mine sat at 70-75 all day between Swansea and Aberdeen and their nippy up to 50 but the gearing is short in 1/2/3 hence the criminal 60 mph dash*

Probably still get £300 for one now, they don't really break, have a useful space and handle ok being mid engined.

When you say the crank nut is welded in place, is it literally welded in place or just very tight?

It is welded in place, would require a junior hacksaw to remove the weld. Then engine locked and a large breaker bar to crack the nut. What damage that may cause would depend on how well the weld had penetrated. Looking at the welding on the chassis if done by the same person, maybe not to much. However I would suspect the nut will require welding back into place.