Mondeo Fun

cpjitservices

Are pez engined models and less of a liability? I'm starting to think that old modern diesels with all the associated accessories that can go wrong can be a bit of a risk

Depends on how much you spend on the car in the first place and what your mileage is. By my (possibly incorrect) workings out, using current fuel prices of 118.9 for petrol and 120.6 for diseasal, if you only paid £1,000 for the car, if you got an MPG of 36.86 in the diseasal compared to 28.29 for the petrol version (from fuelly), by the time you had covered 23,626 miles you would have recouped the full £1k.

Okay, I wouldn't spend big bucks on a diseasal as you could well lose most of your investment if it shits itself but for cheap practical motoring it seems a fair gamble if you cover enough miles.

Petrol less of a problem, you can identify potential serious trouble ahead. The diesel could stab you in the legs tomorrow.

The 1.8 can be prone to the oil control rings wearing with ensuing MOT fails on emissions and smoke. On the other hand they can go on for 200k with care.

You could pick up a TDCI cheap but I wouldn't spend more than what you could afford to lose as once it's giving you shit throwing it away and starting again is your only option. You can hedge your bets by doing a bit of preventative maintenance to avoid a lot of the trouble though.

I'd do the following, costs nothing but rules out potential for a few problems

- Thoroughly decoke the EGR and inlet manifold, checking the hose as well.

- Swap the Cam Sensor especially if it's got the black switch - only about £10-15

- Clean out the MAF

- Replace the Fuel Filter with a good Bosch or Delphi item

- Make sure the Actuator arm is free on the turbo

Do these and it will iron out 75% of potential problems.