Mondeo Fun

cpjitservices

Hi all,

I've purchased a Mondeo estate... on a 53 plate. 2.0 TDCI.

Seems to run fine, day after I bought it EML has come on. I dreaded scanning it in fear of an injector problem. Turns out the EGR valve has taken a dump. Engine was running erratic and lumpy and also a bit flat. Unplugged said EGR valve and car runs a hell of a lot better. Thinking im just going to blank the EGR Valve.

Seems to be an alright motor. MOT due on May 5th. Seems solid, though tracking needs to be adjusted. 

Will update with pictures.

Only weird thing I've noticed is: the windscreen washers. If you pull the stalk towards you the windscreen gets wet but the front wipers don't move, push the button on the stalk, the pump makes noises. Nothing happens but the front Wipers go.... Strange. Suspect this will need to be sorted before MOT. Rear Wiper seems to function fine, rear screen doesn't get wet either way.

My transit egr valve broke. Same engine I think. Blanking the egr will put the eml on all the time. I bought a new valve and a restrictor plate which has a small hole in that lets just enough gas through to stop the eml.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info all, i'll order those bits off of ebay.

Just by unplugging the EGR I've already seen a difference, not sure about MPG yet as haven't had it long enough. What driving I have been doing it has reported as averaging 38-40. Not bad. 

I believe the engine is the same as found in the van's... certainly sounds like it.

I've heard they arent good engines....When I did a scan there had been no historical codes stored so I guess thats good. 

Take the EGR out to clean it, it takes 10 minutes. Filthy job mind. You can't completely blank it on the one you have, you have to fit the type that has a restrictor hole in it that's about 3/8 inch. You don't need to remove the EGR to fit it, just loosen the bolts off and then drop it in. Make sure you use a decent fuel filter as well.

The only bit of advice I'll give you with Mondeo diesels is to spend as little as possible on them, buy them cheap then don't get drawn into tracking down cutting out issues too much. Soon as it starts giving you shit that can't be resolved with new filter and cleaning EGR etc, chuck it and start again.

They are good engines, they can do some big miles. I've one same year, goes like a stabbed rat, at some point in the past it's been remapped and a SMF fitted I suspect.

Take the EGR out to clean it, it takes 10 minutes. Filthy job mind. You can't completely blank it on the one you have, you have to fit the type that has a restrictor hole in it that's about 3/8 inch. You don't need to remove the EGR to fit it, just loosen the bolts off and then drop it in. Make sure you use a decent fuel filter as well.

The only bit of advice I'll give you with Mondeo diesels is to spend as little as possible on them, buy them cheap then don't get drawn into tracking down cutting out issues too much. Soon as it starts giving you shit that can't be resolved with new filter and cleaning EGR etc, chuck it and start again.

They are good engines, they can do some big miles. I've one same year, goes like a stabbed rat, at some point in the past it's been remapped and a SMF fitted I suspect.

Thanks, Ill do just that.

I believe its had a new fuel filter fitted recently. I gathered I need the blank with a hole in it like the items above on ebay. Wasnt sure if I needed to blank both ends. Car drives fine, though needs tracking adjusting

And just need to sort out the washer issues.

Check what filter it is... you want a Delphi or a Bosch. Cheap ones will potentially cause you a problem.

The turbo actuators can stick as well as the vanes for the Turbot. You'll get the damned flashing Coil sign when you really boot it if this happens.

I'd check the cam sensor as well, these can pack in with no warning causing cutting out. If it's black sensor chuck a new grey one on. They're 10 minutes to fit and cost about £12-15. Situated above the inlet fanimold.

These are the cheap fixes... once the you've ruled stuff like this out, it starts to get expensive. Forget replacing or recoding injectors, it's just not worth it. Usually by this time the fuel pump will go as well.

Sometimes the aux belt tensioner rattles but it has to get really bad before it chucks the belt off. Mine has done this for ages... Swine if a job to swap as well.

I'm not saying this to put you off, I'm just illustrating where the simple potential fixes are, beyond which you are throwing money away. There's thousands of these still giving good service so they can't all be bad. You should be getting more MPG though than that, round the houses mine does 43-44mpg, on a run probably 55mpg if I'm gentle with it.

No idea about the engine....but it sounds as though the front washer jet motor has packed in and someone has swapped the pipe onto the motor for the rear rather than fix/replace.

Pressing the button should make the front screen wet and trigger the wipers, pulling the stalk should wash the rear screen.

Exactly what I was about to post ! To be honest I'd class a new washer motor money wasted on a mk3 Mondeo

I second sierramans comments on the running of em.

Gotta say that the tdcis rep is similar to the ol k series in the fact that they never really recovered from the old head gasket reputation.

I feel like stepping in because I've run tdcis for years and I don't think they honestly deserve the rep they get, I think half of the injector issues on them are because people run them on a budgie and decide to adopt the be reet attitude when it comes to servicing, rather than taking a pre emptive approach to the filters, and they don't take kindly to being run on the same fuel filter for as long as most other cars will tolerate.

However to counter that point there aren't many cars out there where it is so easy to do, I can literally do one in 5 mins, although as a tip prime the new filter with fuel before starting as if you air lock em they're a bugger to get going.

Also factor in a couple of cable ties to the job as you will break the clips that hold the fuel filter cage to the strut.

Otherwise they will take the hammer, mine gets thrown between Bolton and Leeds everyday and I can't think of anything else that is a better tool, it's nice to be a bit anonymous sometimes.

I've blanked my egr as well, mines a Euro 3 so no eml for blanking it.

They are a lot of car for the money and handle well for a big old bus!

Steve

I second sierramans comments on the running of em.

Gotta say that the tdcis rep is similar to the ol k series in the fact that they never really recovered from the old head gasket reputation.

I feel like stepping in because I've run tdcis for years and I don't think they honestly deserve the rep they get, I think half of the injector issues on them are because people run them on a budgie and decide to adopt the be reet attitude when it comes to servicing, rather than taking a pre emptive approach to the filters, and they don't take kindly to being run on the same fuel filter for as long as most other cars will tolerate.

However to counter that point there aren't many cars out there where it is so easy to do, I can literally do one in 5 mins, although as a tip prime the new filter with fuel before starting as if you air lock em they're a bugger to get going.

Also factor in a couple of cable ties to the job as you will break the clips that hold the fuel filter cage to the strut.

Otherwise they will take the hammer, mine gets thrown between Bolton and Leeds everyday and I can't think of anything else that is a better tool, it's nice to be a bit anonymous sometimes.

I've blanked my egr as well, mines a Euro 3 so no eml for blanking it.

They are a lot of car for the money and handle well for a big old bus!

Steve

Thanks... excellent response. 

So I Will be getting her services. mot likely DIY. Best Oil to use to try and beat the dreaded injector issues ? What fuel filter would you recommend ? I presume its on the lines next to the tank ?

Thanks all - I like the car it's exactly thew size I need and plenty of power. Seems a bit down on fuel but I suspect this to be down to the EGR issues which I'm yet to address.

Its going in for MOT today. Have left it at the garage and it's on the ramp. Have had a call to say the brake pedal feels a bit weird, which Ive noticed if you haven't been driving for a while I think the pedal feels a bit low but feels normal again as your driving. Probs needs new brake pipes and pads.

• Test date19 April 2017
  • Test ResultFail
  • Odometer reading158,736 miles
  • MOT test number8613 8755 2867
  • Reason(s) for failure

Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)
    Nearside Rear Brake hose excessively deteriorated (3.6.B.4d)
    Offside Rear Brake hose excessively deteriorated (3.6.B.4d)
  • Advisory notice item(s)

Nearside Rear Child Seat fitted not allowing full inspection of adult belt ()
    engine management lamp on!
    Nearside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit edges (4.1.E.1)

Thanks... excellent response. 

So I Will be getting her services. mot likely DIY. Best Oil to use to try and beat the dreaded injector issues ? What fuel filter would you recommend ? I presume its on the lines next to the tank ?

I just tend to put decent low ash 5w 30 in mine, takes about 5.5 litres if it's been completely drained.

I generally wait for Halfords to do their 10 quid sale each year and buy up a load,failing that wait til (predictably) euro do their million percent sale and buy it up from there, that's also who I buy the Bosch fuel filters from,get them for about 14 quid a piece.

Thanks all - I like the car it's exactly thew size I need and plenty of power. Seems a bit down on fuel but I suspect this to be down to the EGR issues which I'm yet to address.

Just blank it temporarily, you can even cut out a tin can just to shove in there and see what it runs like,although not long term as it would burn through if you left it in for long enough!

Its going in for MOT today. Have left it at the garage and it's on the ramp. Have had a call to say the brake pedal feels a bit weird, which Ive noticed if you haven't been driving for a while I think the pedal feels a bit low but feels normal again as your driving. Probs needs new brake pipes and pads.

This could be old fluid, the lines as indicated by mot, or as another suggestion they have an appetite for rear calipers which also do the handbreak, they are practically service items (but cheap to buy and quick to fit) and if one or both have seized that can make the pedal feel funny....

Steve

There's nothing wrong with my rear calipers that I know of, 4 1/2 years and 21,000 miles into my ownership. It's a 3.0 V6 wagon and the only major expense other than tyres and (a lot of) fuel has been a replacement clutch and slave cylinder for £400.