OMGHGF! Neighbour's 325 Ci Bimmer up 4 grabs - 300 Quid only!

Junkman

I'm driving a well sorted, unmodified early 323Ci at the moment. I know everything below the plimsoll line is rotten as a pear, but it's a lovely thing to look at, sit in and drive (then again I do normally drive an Espace, so your opinion may vary).

If it's genuinely OMGHGF then it's probably game over. But as said it will break for far more. If those wheels are genuine BMW and you've already noted the tyres are decent (Bridgestone), you're probably close to recouping the asking - the car I'm driving now came fitted with horrible (and extremely heavy) replicas of MV1 alloys and nasty low-tread Chinese tyres, which still netted £130 when sold.

GLWS.

Are you our of your mind, posting a link to Pissingtwats?

I clicked on it, had a quick look at the thread and now I'm even more traumatised than I was already

since I spent ten minutes there two years ago looking for Breadvan after he did a runner.

Thanks,that helps a lot as i have been looking solely at ones under 100,000 because I thought less miles = better condition. so maybe I should look for more around the sort of 100,000-130,000 mileage as well then?

I was happily wallowing in subliminal suppression that screaming thunderdunces like these are actually allowed to vote in the upcoming.

Now, since I have been reminded, I'm frightened.

This is what K seal was designed for! It's worth £300 all day every day, so chuck in a bottle, if it sorts it for a while Bingo. If not stick it on bumtree/ fleabay or your favourite verge (for the true pikey look) and make a few quid. Broken it would make someone a tidy profit if they could be arsed.

Steel seal is a better bet. Tip it down the top hose (not into the expansion bottle) and it might just rescue it for a bit. For 20 quid it's worth a shot.

It's also not as obvious as the tank doesn't froth up with those shiny tell-tale bits of copper!  Steel Seal didn't fix the last disaster or the one before it...

...however this US market potion certainly did

block%20seal_200px.jpg

Bit of a faff as not just a toss in and hope job.  But it meant that bloody Renault left the drive and I could sleep again.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, the repair estimate is £700.00, hence he is calling it quits.

The car just had a new clutch and new brake discs and pads at all four corners in January, which also cost in the region of 800 quid.

The car can be taken away for 300 quid.

Please bear in mind that it is really only viable for someone who can fix it himself, or at sub garage rates.

Okay, the repair estimate is £700.00, hence he is calling it quits.

The car just had a new clutch and new brake discs and pads at all four corners in January, which also cost in the region of 800 quid.

The car can be taken away for 300 quid.

Please bear in mind that it is really only viable for someone who can fix it himself, or at sub garage rates.

So, apart from the head gasket and gangster style wheels there's nothing much wrong with it? IF it were mine I'd fix it. I bet it costs him more than £700 to replace it with something equally "Fancy"

I wouldn't mind it to be honest, but it would have to be cheaper. Because I'm a twat.

So, apart from the head gasket and gangster style wheels there's nothing much wrong with it? IF it were mine I'd fix it. I bet it costs him more than £700 to replace it with something equally "Fancy"

I wouldn't mind it to be honest, but it would have to be cheaper. Because I'm a twat.

Not only is there nothing else wrong with it, it actually has a meticulous maintenance record.

He is not pursuing with it, because he has three rapidly growing kids and thus decided to rather throw his money at a Fiver estate.

Bargain for someone, Y plater BM coupe all sorted for a bag of sand, if I actually had that money id buy it, fix it and smoke around in it, because I think it looks really smart and I even quite like the rims on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. We were just looking at it this afternoon funnily enough. 

Someone who knows stuff about moderns (i.e., doesn't think that OBD stands for Old Birty Dastard) came by to look at it. His conclusion was no HGF, rather havoc caused by cooling system airlock. He bled it and it was driven about for a bit. 

I don't know if there was more to it than that. 

Symptoms from what we know  -  Lots of smoke from the exhaust but engine not actually overheating right? Not exactly HGF symptoms.

Allow this American dude to explain the BMW E46 CCV system. He will make more sense than me.

Interestingly the car doesn't display any untoward symptoms at the moment.

Since filling it with coollant, it was running fine, we opened the bleed screw once it was warm, a lot of air came out,

we topped it up and it has been running like a dream ever since. Even the check engine light that did come on

has now gone off again, so maybe the bulb has had enough.

The BMW cooling system does need a lot of bleeding when any form of replacement or fault occurs, I know this from experience.

Hgf on them is relatively rare, it would certainly be worth carrying out even a basic compression test or one of those anti freeze type things to get a better idea.

Would love it myself but to many cars blah blah blah etc.

Speaking of diagnosis I just overheard an AA "mechanic" telling someone that his car wouldn't start as it had no compression, in the meantime the owner then received a text off his Mrs to say this happened before and a quick push start got it going, AA boy then claimed that could have happened just before the valves burnt out.

Ummmmmmm REALLY?