That 50 grand Mini

cort16

I wonder if they're using heritage shell's or buying up registered ones so they can get past the US 25 year exemption rule? I imagine that's a market they'd want to get in with.

It does seem there's plenty of people willing to spend large quantities of money on things if they can count them as unique or bespoke. I don't over all think that's a bad thing as lot of times good ideas filter down to thing that peasants like me can afford.

The other side of that is it produces a lot of expensive shite. If you watch Jay Leno's garage this week there was a big bespoke people carrier, based on a big Ford Pickup. It weighs 5 tons and costs $250,000. It's not even bullet proof.

They've sold 300 of them.

With that mini I think it's the 50k bit that doesn't compute with me, I don't view them as much different to a VW camper that has had so much work done, 90% of the metal is more modern than my focus. In that respect I have no problems with restorations or remakes, the difference is if you have more money than sense heavily restored campers are expensive, but still in the ball park when it comes to how much motorhomes are. If they could knock them out for 20 grand they'd quickly use up all available shells (even if it was possible why bother if enough people will pay 50)

£50,000 would get you a lovely decent old mini, and whatever the best modern small car is atm as a daily if needed, along with half a dozen of Leylands far more superior cars.

The others are a matter of (lack of) taste....

The Speedback thing doesn't do much for me, I don't hate it, but don't love either.

The Mini, I don't understand why they didn't make it more useable for today, a five speed gearbox has been available to fit the A series since I last owned a Mini (about 1994) and probably a lot longer. Really if you are not bothered about staying original, then a Honda VTEC must be better (much faster) and more usable than the A Series.

If I should choose a very expensive Mini, I'd either have a MK1 shell with external door hinges and those huge door bins or a Clubman 1275GT with the Vauxhall Ventora grille and headlights as in the post above by Mr Barry Cade!

And it doesn't even come with a set of BL era nudge bars that my £150 mini had.

So for that reason I'm out.

You've nudged my memory.  When I moved to Northants in 1980something, there was a very nice ERA Mini around town.  It may have been in the 90s.  It looked like a very high quality product and may well have been the equivalent price for the time of that £50K job.

If I were a wealthbucket and it could be bought brand new, properly painted and built - this would be infinitely superior and nowhere near 50 grand.

Minis are always nicest when closest to the original Issitgonnawork design.

Dry suspension Mark 3 1000 with negative earth volts please. 

The beige one is a 'thou, the last two are probably an 'S'. Looks similar tho.

post-3069-0-98470500-1492760124_thumb.jpg

post-3069-0-41518400-1492760129_thumb.jpg

post-3069-0-85186500-1492760136_thumb.jpg

On the subject of Jags the X300 was a good car, with care they'd do 250-300k.

Provided you like changing suspension bushes and don't want to carry anyone else (or give more than one person a lift).

And like 'feeling claustrophobic' being called 'a sense of occasion'.  But the clocks sometimes work. WOW! 

Provided you like changing suspension bushes and don't want to carry anyone else (or give more than one person a lift).

And like 'feeling claustrophobic' being called 'a sense of occasion'.  But the clocks sometimes work. WOW! 

My X350 was better for space but the suspension is still made of cheese.