1996 Toyota Carina E 1.8 CD 5dr £300, Norfolk

Spottedlaurel

As reported on here recently, father-in-law got himself a Honda CR-V and he seems to like that so his old Carina E is up for grabs. Sadly it’s not of any use to me as I’m trying to get the Camry back on the road.

8633097522_a1b3997c90_c.jpg

1996 Toyota Carina E 1.8CD + others in the family fleet by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Since these photos it's had a dent in the driver’s door (I think the worst of it would pop out, will try when I get time over Easter) plus it has scratches on the rear door/arch as per the photo below. No rot though, and it’s otherwise pretty tidy and shiny. Driver’s seat doesn’t match as I had to fit a replacement, due to him wearing out the bolster. One of the electric windows needs a replacement motor/regulator. I did get one for him, but he claims it wasn’t right so that’s sitting unfitted in the boot at present (again, to be checked over Easter).

8633098082_78e802a5b6_c.jpg

1996 Toyota Carina E 1.8CD by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

It’s done about 103k miles and when I took it around the block it still drove nicely. Quicker than I remember it as well. I believe it had a replacement cam belt and water pump at some point fairly recently, I’ll have to check. It's got a manual 'box.

It’s been in the family since 2003, when we bought it as a one-owner car that had only done 20-odd thousand miles. It was our main family car until about 2009, then we passed it over to father-in-law.

Current MoT lasts until 4 October and you can see online that it’s never failed on anything particularly significant. Just advisories last time.

These Carinas are massive inside and having the 1.8 lean burn engine it’s pretty economical. It’s a very pleasant drive, perfectly capable of everyday use.

Got to be of use to somebody at around £400 £350? It’s on SORN, so I’m afraid get-you-home tax isn’t available. I’m located close to railway stations at Diss and Attleborough, Norfolk which should give plenty of options for collectioneering and I’ll assist in whatever way I can. At this stage I would prefer not to raffle, but it may go that way if need be.

• 2 weeks later...