Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cobbler's's "tales of relatively old vans" - - Audio tinkerings

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#241 ONLINE   Pillock

Pillock

It's true.

• Full Members
  • 15,060 posts
  • 47 thanks
  • LocationMassive Wang.

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:51 PM

The T25 is the one dollywobbler drove isn't it? Is it still in minibus spec rather than camper?

That charging info display looks the bollocks, I love being overloaded with stats like that.

#242 ONLINE   cobblers

cobblers

• Full Members
  • 3,435 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:57 PM

Aye, it's the one Ian drove only it's not got a knackered engine or squeaky suspension now!

I've took the middle row of seats out so I could collect a massive BBQ but other than that it's still just seats. I've been roped into going camping with our lasses mates and she said they can sleep in the talbot so I'm going to find out how well you can sleep on some sofa cushions on the floor of it while looking out of the window at people sleeping in comfort.

#243 ONLINE   Pillock

Pillock

It's true.

• Full Members
  • 15,060 posts
  • 47 thanks
  • LocationMassive Wang.

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:02 PM

Yeah, it seems a shame to ruin a perfectly good minibus as what I really want is a camper - basically because of the tales on here (yours included) of just fucking off to a campsite for a weekend.

I think I used the same "shame to ruin a minibus" excuse when a mate offered me a very similar van about 15 years ago. Caravelle GL with the two tone paint etc, but full of seats. I'll only make a hodge podge of throwing in some kitchen units and wonky cushions anyway - supposedly IKEA do a nice range of shallow units that fit nicely into caravans and stuff, but they'll look a million times better in my imagination than reality because I never finish a DIY job.

#244 ONLINE   cobblers

cobblers

• Full Members
  • 3,435 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:56 PM

We were away in the Talbot last night. We weren't going to go away after my usual Edale campside was shut because it was too boggy, but yesterday morning made a last minute decision to piss off because the weather was OK and as such the shithead neighbours had what sounded like 39 kids and 15 thick mouthy smelly parents in the garden so we both needed to just get the fuck out of here.

We ended up near Hartington, it was nice. New charging system worked spot on!

I'd noticed the van had used about half a litre of water over the last few hundred miles, and noticed this puddle:

2017-08-06 19.24.25.jpg

Yup, radiator is leaking. Can't believe I didn't notice it when I was running the big fat power wire along underneath it last week - That said, I did notice the rad looked rough and made a mental note to keep an eye on it.

2017-08-06 19.24.47.jpg

There were a load of new rads on ebay for £70 or so but it turns out they were for diesels and are the same apart from being a perfect mirror image of the petrol one, with only £150+ nissens petrol ones available. 

Found one in the end, "new unused" from a private seller, for £75, so that's alright. While I was nosing around I found a couple of iffy pipes and didn't like the look of the rad cap either so they'll all get replaced.

These have a non-adjustable belt to run the water pump, it seems you just ABUSE THE FUCK out of it to get the belt over the pulleys and that's that, you can't slacken owt off or adjust the tension.

The one on there seems pretty flipping baggy if I'm completely honest - you can quite easily turn the water pump by hand, but I suppose the "v" of a v belt makes the most of what tension it can get when things are spinning etc. I should replace it if I can find one, but I can't see a size on it.

I thought I'd also put some new "yellow" philips headlight bulbs in that I've had kicking around for years. Turns out they aren't very yellow at all, see the comparison. NSF is the "Yellow", OSF is a poundland special bulb.

2017-08-06 19.27.31.jpg

When I came to swap the other I found the passenger side connector is melted to bollocks, so I've ordered another one of them as well.

2017-08-06 19.28.39.jpg

• cort16, The Moog, mat_the_cat and 2 others like this

#245 ONLINE   cobblers

cobblers

• Full Members
  • 3,435 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:22 PM

A few pages back I posted about how I bought a Blaupunkt head unit and fitted it to the T25 running off the "stock" speakers. TBH it did look nice, but in the meantime I came to realise that

1. Tapes are a fucking pain in the arse. There's always a gap at one end of a recording and its just a logistical nightmare. There's a reason I stopped using them entirely in about 1997.
  2. While the existing speakers were better than I was expecting them to be, they were still absolutely shit.
  3. Even thought the stereo had aux in, any bluetooth adapter caused it to make incredibly loud noises like a robot being fisted or something

So I bit the bullet and bought a cheap kenwood mechless bluetooth head unit, which had the advantage of being about 5" deep so it actually fitted in the dash.

It was better, but I really needed to replace the speakers. I didn't want to put owt to gaudy in, but I wanted something quite efficient so that they would go nice and loud. I also had an amp and a little sub to slip under the rear seats.

I was umming and aahhing over some JBLs when I saw some Blaupunkt ones come up for £25 a pair. They were fairly plain looking and don't look out of place. I had to get rid of the drivers door pocket though, but I never used it. I might shave a bit off it so I can refit it, one day.

Before: Note the baggy door card. I made an attempt to sort this by soaking the hardboard backing in PVA/water solution and then squashign it flat for a few hours under some batteries. It made a bit of difference but it's not great.

2017-08-20 11.00.43.jpg

After:

2017-08-20 17.55.18.jpg

I don't think they're too offensive. I also did the rears:

2017-08-20 11.00.51.jpg

2017-08-20 17.55.21.jpg

I must do something about that rear trim panel - I'll either make another, or just cover that one in some black leathery vinyl stuff.

The rear speakers run direct from the head unit, but the fronts and the cheeky subwoofer run off an amp under the drivers seat, giving about 75W for each front speaker and 200w ish for the subwoofer.

2017-08-20 17.55.42.jpg

2017-08-20 16.31.16.jpg

It's not my neatest work, I kept getting interrupted.

Overall though, I'm pleased. It sounds great - I'd never realised what a difference buying efficient speakers made. These £25 a pair speakers absolutely piss all over the £250 worth of 3 way focal ones I had in the other T25, simply because you can hear these over the road noise! The Focals would have needed about 250w each to keep up with these.

The sub is only 7" in a tiny box, but it does what it can. It hardly rattles the windows, but I don't really want it to do that.

• Heidel_Kakao, Fat_Pirate, mat_the_cat and 3 others like this

#246 ONLINE   cobblers

cobblers

• Full Members
  • 3,435 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:01 PM

Little update. T25 is in my mums garage again, potentially sold. Shame really, but running three vehicles is silly. My mum's moving house soon so I'll lose the use of the garage, potentially giving me nowhere to work on anything that goes wrong - so I'm flogging the T25 and keeping my Abarth.

The Talbot hasn't got many brakes (master cylinder failed) so I've gone against my gut and dropped it off at the local garage for them to sort it. I've never took owt to a garage and not end up wishing I'd just done the job myself. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised this time, they're a decent bunch of lads.

I haven't got the time or inclination to wrangle with four bleed nipples in the dark at the side of the road at the moment. 

I've also asked them to have a look at doing the Exhaust Manifold studs which'll hopefully quieten it down a bit.

We're going away (Robin Hoods Bay) in it over christmas, so I'm fairly thankful the leak has shown up now, rather than in three weeks time. Or even worse, when we're driving down one of the massive great flippin hills on the way there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users