Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cobbler's's "tales of relatively old vans" - Alternator ID ?

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   Dave_Q

Dave_Q

• Full Members
  • 4,633 posts
  • 55 thanks
  • LocationConveniently located for the M62 and well regarded local schooling

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:06 AM

That shit is super satisfying, stripped an old alarm out the now duganabecorporation Impreza.

Scotchloks, leccy tape, £shop grade bullet connectors, seemingly the only connection method the 90s/00s alarm fitting industry didn't use was a soldering iron.

Also related, when I got this Multipla the PO had installed all sorts of extra LED lights, a permanent Nokia charger and so on. Stripping it all out was very theraputic, a bit like when you pick a fairly old scab to reveal the new skin.
  • cobblers and Christine like this

09 Fiat Multipla

99 SV650

too many pushbikes (apparently)

#302 OFFLINE   cobblers

cobblers

• Full Members
  • 3,805 posts
  • 37 thanks

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:39 PM

Changed the oil and batteries yesterday, drama free apart from finding most of the oil running down the street this afternoon.

I've just won a set of brand new Vivaro steels with continental tyres off eBay for £190 which was a lot cheaper than a set of really really shit tyres for these wheels - Let's hope they fit! I've just got to drive to Bury to collect them tomorrow.

• Jim Bell, Tickman and Exiled_Tat_Gatherer like this

#303 OFFLINE   cobblers

cobblers

• Full Members
  • 3,805 posts
  • 37 thanks

Posted 13 August 2018 - 11:32 AM

Well, I'm a fucking fanny. They changed the PCD of vivaros in 2014, so these wheels won't fit.

I'm thinking of getting a set of these:
https://rover.ebay.c...tm/302829010485

As I like camping in winter and I've nearly been stuck a few times. Or should I just get a set of cheapo normal tyres and stop fannying about?

#304 OFFLINE   spartacus

spartacus

• Full Members
  • 1,538 posts
  • 17 thanks

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:15 PM

I'd say they're a bit extreme, they'll be really noisy and possibly not very nice to drive on. What pcd and offset are the wheels?

#305 OFFLINE   cobblers

cobblers

• Full Members
  • 3,805 posts
  • 37 thanks

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:17 PM

5x118 et 55, same as most iveco and French /Italian vans.

#306 OFFLINE   spartacus

spartacus

• Full Members
  • 1,538 posts
  • 17 thanks

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:32 PM

https://rover.ebay.c...tm/332720718689
So something like this would make tyre shopping easier?

#307 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 5,600 posts
  • 78 thanks

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:48 PM

Well, I'm a fucking fanny. They changed the PCD of vivaros in 2014, so these wheels won't fit.

I'm thinking of getting a set of these:
https://rover.ebay.c...tm/302829010485

As I like camping in winter and I've nearly been stuck a few times. Or should I just get a set of cheapo normal tyres and stop fannying about?

At the price I may have a set of 6 for the winter! They'll be ok I would think.

#308 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 5,600 posts
  • 78 thanks

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:50 PM

Actually how many do you need I have a part worn 185 14C in Chesterfield you can have if it will help out, may be very old but still round.

#309 OFFLINE   cobblers

cobblers

• Full Members
  • 3,805 posts
  • 37 thanks

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:18 PM

My tyres have all got plenty of tread, but they're all just so old and hard they're deadly. I've been meaning to get some for ages but a near head-on with a HGV (his fault) on Friday has really kicked my arse into gear!

He'd got no stock of them Event ML698s in the end, apparently theyre a knockoff of a BFG or something and drive pretty well.

In the end I just ordered a set of budget 185/14s, they'll be alright.

#310 OFFLINE   spartacus

spartacus

• Full Members
  • 1,538 posts
  • 17 thanks

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:48 AM

They've got to be better than the ones that are currently fitted, they do have a certain 'adventurous charm'*.

#311 OFFLINE   Asimo

Asimo

Hondamatic

• Full Members
  • 5,030 posts
  • 29 thanks
  • LocationRe-booting....

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:15 AM

In the end I just ordered a set of budget 185/14s, they'll be alright.

Are they up to taking the weight?

Thanked by 1 Member:
leafsprung

#312 OFFLINE   cobblers

cobblers

• Full Members
  • 3,805 posts
  • 37 thanks

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:21 AM

Yeah, I got commercial ones, 102/100 rated

#313 OFFLINE   cobblers

cobblers

• Full Members
  • 3,805 posts
  • 37 thanks

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:54 PM

Got the tyres fitted today, it feels smoother and nicer to drive but I'm 100% sure that's all in my head. The true test will come when I try and stop in the wet. If you never hear from me again then these are about the same as the old ones.

I put two new belts on it - one for the waterpump and one for the alternator. The waterpump belt was flapping around - there's no tensioner for it. The new belt was just as bad as the old one - turns out some people reckon a 925 fits, but really you need an 895.

The alternator has repaid me for this by starting to whine and grumble like a bastard, despite the belt being fairly loose still.

It's always been on the cards for replacement - even with dead good wiring it's never topped 35A charging current, and it really gets incredibly hot doing that.

But what is it from? I could take it off and refurb it at work, but I've not got the time and I'd rather just spend £70 on a good one, ideally an upgrade to 90A/110A  if possible (I think this is supposed to be 50A) I've not had a lot of luck finding a decent part number for what's actually on the van to allow me to trawl through catalogues and HC cargos website to make any sense of it.

2018-08-16 19.01.56.jpg

Anyone recognise it? The engine has Peugeot roots, 505 etc.

Also the wiper motor has decided to just make clonking noises whenever the ignition is turned on. I think the park switch could be smegged up, I'll have a go at repairing that. New ones are only £35 but I'm not sure they'll be any good.

• Jim Bell likes this

#314 OFFLINE   cobblers

cobblers

• Full Members
  • 3,805 posts
  • 37 thanks

Posted Today, 01:00 PM

After 65 miles, this alternator really is grumbling, I must have dislodged some schmutz when braying it the other day.

I did some googling and a ~2000 ish Ducato alternator will fit with a few washers and is 70-90A. 

The wiper motor off the same van will fit.

(As would the wheels and tyres.)

Gears start turning in my head - My mates dad had one of these and he's just bought a new van.

"Alex, has your dad still got that old van?"

"No, scrapped it yesterday"

FFS!

#315 OFFLINE   holbeck

holbeck

• Full Members
  • 1,903 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted Today, 02:17 PM

The alternator is a valeo nee Motorola one. As used on lots of French stuff at the time. But there are also a myriad of different bracket / pulley options.

Thanked by 1 Member:
cobblers

#316 OFFLINE   cobblers

cobblers

• Full Members
  • 3,805 posts
  • 37 thanks

Posted Today, 05:17 PM

Yeah, it seems this particular one is shared with the 504 and 505 etc, but other than that, nothing. I suppose I might be able to make a bitsa from one, but there's so many different variations and manufacturers I reckon I'd have to be pretty lucky to find stuff that fits together.

I'm going to try and find a higher amperage Ducato one, seeing as they're all roughly the same price to buy I might as well have 140A as 70A.

That said I'm a little bit worried about a single V belt being up to the task, so I might settle for 70A if one comes up cheap.

#317 OFFLINE   holbeck

holbeck

• Full Members
  • 1,903 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted Today, 05:31 PM

Yes, 70A would be a good max for the single v belt, more and you'd be risking belt slip.
  • cobblers likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users