Back on with this today.
Here's the rear corner done - seam sealed and ready for a good thick coat or two of gravitex (textured sill paint stuff)
About an hour with a wire wheel left all the cars on the street covered in filler dust, and I got the sill back to metal:
There actually was metal under there, and it was pretty solid, but instead of using a £30 repair section or a £50 sill, they;d just used a bit of steel cut out of a bonnet and bent it over a lamp post or something.
I lopped it all off, tidied it up a bit and then dosed it with Dynax50 rust converter stuff, I sprayed it on
The inner sill had been plated over, it wasn't pretty but it was solid. I was tempted to sort it properly, but I can't get carried away, I aim to be camping in this in a fortnight!
Chopped the new panel about to make it fit after repairing the side panel where it was crusty, I ended up putting about half the length of the sill on - The back half had already been done reasonably well, so I just replaced all up to that
I had to make an end on this panel too, I proper enjoy doing this bit - Nice clean steel with a corner to weld into, dead satisfying.
Tacky tack tack to attach it, I was aiming to have it dead flush to make for a zero filler repair, but I fucked it right up. It'll only need a light skim, I might not bother though, I'll see what it looks like when I've finished flatting it off properly. All my flap wheels were knackered.
And finally a plate to fill in the gap at the front. This bit will deffo need filler cos whoever did the previous repair just brayed the shit out of the panel with a hammer to make their "panel" fit, I turned the welder up and really stuck this bit on, no big deal if it warps a little.
Hopefully I'll get it finished off tomorrow, I need to pick up some filler, some more flap wheels and some paint. I now remember why I decided I wasn't doing welding sills on things again! Bruised and scraped from head to toe, welding splatter marks up my arms and legs and I could pick my nose with a flipping magnet.