Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cobbler's's Talbot Express - The fridge has turned into a cupboard

• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

#391 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 15,169 posts
  • 186 thanks
  • LocationThe next petrol station

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:30 AM

Is it behind the tree over there?

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was my intention.

Champion cunt in the cunt count 2018.

#392 OFFLINE   cobblers

cobblers

Hoisin Crispy Owl

• Full Members
  • 4,045 posts
  • 40 thanks

Posted 16 October 2018 - 06:45 PM

Away again it this for the last few days, off to Bakewell and then a nice drive up to Edale for a couple of nights.

First thing I found when I got there was the fridge wasn't working - No power to the igniter. It was running off 12V while I was driving, so the fridge had power.

I had some tools so I took it out. No multimeter (doh!) so i disconnected what I thought was the main power lead to it (2mm2 ish wires going to the left hand side) to test them for power using a bulb out of one of the lights. Taking this out made a relay click up above the back door, and all the 12V electrics went off.

So I reconnected that, and checked over on the other side where the 240V goes in, along with the 12V feed from the ignition. Seemed fine.

So I just screwed it back in, and it fixed itself. Lit up fine.

3 hrs later it's not cold. Bugger.

I think the PO Spartacus did the old "take it out and leave it upside down for a while" trick, so I might try that again. Doesn't explain why the ignition wasn't working though, I need to familiarise myself with how a flame sensor works.

Bonus shot of the van this morning up on some moors looking a bit shonky:

2018-10-16 10.11.54.jpg

I promise I'll give it some love once I've got a unit.

• The Moog, spartacus and Hooli like this

#393 OFFLINE   spartacus

spartacus

• Full Members
  • 1,802 posts
  • 22 thanks

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:13 AM

Is the ignitor clicking when you press it?
Sure, of it's not getting could and it hasn't been used for a good while then taking it out and inverting it for 24 hours sorted it.
ETA, I found that fridge quite frustrating in the early days when it wouldn't work, but realistically it's got no moving parts, so as long as there's gas in it then it can only be a worst case of having to replace a thermocouple or something.

#394 OFFLINE   cobblers

cobblers

Hoisin Crispy Owl

• Full Members
  • 4,045 posts
  • 40 thanks

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:58 PM

Now, when I turn the switch on it reliably clicks until it's lit. At one point it did nothing but seemed to fix itself. 

There's a decent blue flame through the little window when lit which gets bigger and smaller depending on the setting, but it's just not really getting cool.

From memory it was a bit pants last time I used it, and it's been stood for a while. I'll tip it up and perhaps have a look at the flame sensor thingy while I'm in there.

#395 OFFLINE   dave j

dave j

• Full Members
  • 149 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationPlymouth

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:33 PM

Were you parked on the flat when trying the fridge? The one in my van only works well when it's totally level- it can be annoying at times!
  • Talbot likes this

2007 Skoda Octavia VRS tdi estate
1973 VW Camper

1971 VW Beetle

2005 Kia Sorento

#396 OFFLINE   cobblers

cobblers

Hoisin Crispy Owl

• Full Members
  • 4,045 posts
  • 40 thanks

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:04 PM

It's very rarely parked completely on the flat, one of my main frustrations is that I don't have access to any kind of flat level ground.

I'd got it pretty well levelled on chocks, but it was definitely tipped over to one side, maybe 4" lower on the drivers side. It's never seemed to mind that before, but from memory it has slowly performed worse and worse over the time I've had it - I remember being astounded by the power of it a few years ago.

I took the fridge out today, tipped it upside down and it made some fantastic glugging noises for a bit. I left it upside down for about 8 hours, refitted it and left it running on gas for an hour - Nothing.

However, I've got a feeling the problem might be with the gas jet bit. For a few reasons:

First, when I had the thing running on 12v, it did get a little bit cold. It's never very good on 12v, but they never are

Second, there's really not a lot of heat coming out of the external gas vent or from above the fridge either.

Third - it's not getting "warm" inside. Most people seem to report that when the refridgerant has settled, they get warm inside rather than cool.

I reckon I'll try and run it off 240v - I've never done this before, but if it works on 240 then the fault has to be with the gas jet.

If that's the case I'll see if I can take the jet out, maybe stick it in the ultrasonic cleaner at work.

Running it off 240V will be a bit of a mare, I need to try and get it parked on the street outside the house and then run the inverter in the shed to get me a 240v socket near enough to the van. 

#397 OFFLINE   Tickman

Tickman

• Full Members
  • 2,140 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • LocationDundee

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:41 AM

It's very rarely parked completely on the flat, one of my main frustrations is that I don't have access to any kind of flat level ground.

I'd got it pretty well levelled on chocks, but it was definitely tipped over to one side, maybe 4" lower on the drivers side. It's never seemed to mind that before, but from memory it has slowly performed worse and worse over the time I've had it - I remember being astounded by the power of it a few years ago.

I took the fridge out today, tipped it upside down and it made some fantastic glugging noises for a bit. I left it upside down for about 8 hours, refitted it and left it running on gas for an hour - Nothing.

However, I've got a feeling the problem might be with the gas jet bit. For a few reasons:

First, when I had the thing running on 12v, it did get a little bit cold. It's never very good on 12v, but they never are

Second, there's really not a lot of heat coming out of the external gas vent or from above the fridge either.

Third - it's not getting "warm" inside. Most people seem to report that when the refridgerant has settled, they get warm inside rather than cool.

I reckon I'll try and run it off 240v - I've never done this before, but if it works on 240 then the fault has to be with the gas jet.

If that's the case I'll see if I can take the jet out, maybe stick it in the ultrasonic cleaner at work.

Running it off 240V will be a bit of a mare, I need to try and get it parked on the street outside the house and then run the inverter in the shed to get me a 240v socket near enough to the van. 

Mine will freeze up the ice box on 12 volt as it just runs at full on 12V. On 240 the thermostat works and will regulate as it should. On gas I will die as the flue is compromised :(

1968 Morris Minor 1000
1972 Triumph Toledo
1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1
1986 Talbot Express Camper

1988 Peugeot 205 (Chuck's)
2001 Renault Clio (Meg's)
2003 Skoda Octavia

#398 OFFLINE   Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Full Members
  • 12,081 posts
  • 47 thanks
  • LocationNext door

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:51 AM

Mine will freeze up the ice box on 12 volt as it just runs at full on 12V. On 240 the thermostat works and will regulate as it should. On gas I will die as the flue is compromised :(

This is the biggest rollercoaster of a sentence about a fridge I've ever read.

858735.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users