Jaguar Sovereign Car, £500

Conrad D. Conelrad

33096549265_ff4031bdde_h.jpg

Jaguar Sovereign 4.0 Automatic

s-l1600.jpg

Okay, so there's this car. It's a really good car.

s-l1600.jpg

But it has its problems. Fluid leaks from the sexting rack and the abs light is on. EDIT: ABS FIXED

s-l1600.jpg

The wings are all kinds of rotten too, but they're bolt on. The rest of the car is cosmetically very tidy.

s-l1600.jpg

But don't get hung up on those minor faults. The car drives beautifully. it's even kinda economic if you baby it.

s-l1600.jpg

It's got five new tyres.

s-l1600.jpg

Its MOT expires today (5th). Poor car. But this is to your advantage, because it makes it super cheap. 

s-l1600.jpg

So it's £500 (firm).

Any less and I'd rather abandon it in the local park. 

s-l1600.jpg

I am located in a small box made up of the M60, M56, M62 and M6 so super easy to get to.

Plus I am happy to collect you from train station or airport.

Post commitments to buy in the space below.

☟ 

Aaargh! That's seriously tempting. Though the lack of MOT makes me a bit wibbly, and those horrible number plates are gone. For shame.

Those numberplates are included! Optional extras available at no cost include: horrible set of chrome wheelarches which no-one on eBay wants and a towbar, which no-one on eBay wants.

I just love the way your auto-correct has substituted "steering" with "sexting". Made my day. :)

GLWTS

Oh yeah :lol: I must type one of those words a lot more than the other.

Oooft a challenger! Good luck with the sale!

We could make one good car out of the two! Well, we'd still need wings...

Those numberplates are included! Optional extras available at no cost include: horrible set of chrome wheelarches which no-one on eBay wants and a towbar, which no-one on eBay wants.

Oh man. It just gets better and better. I am actually thinking seriously about this. Well, I say seriously. Buying it seems a very daft idea. Which is why I want to do it.

Anyone want an Omega? Sadly lacks chrome wheelarches.

Guest Hooli

ABS fault is probably a sensor, the leads seem to crack as they are co-ax like a TV ariel on these. I ended up splicing the XJ40 end on a X300 sensor as I couldn't get a XJ40 sensor & it worked fine when I had mine.

I wish I could justify this currently, it's bloody lovely.

BTW, battery in boot or at the front?

It seems a sad end to this to let it go for only £500. That's VERY cheap for what looks to be a nice car other than problems it has suffered - and they shouldn't be that difficult to fix for very experienced car fixers like you guys!

Have you considered replacing the rack yourself? - I have the original Jaguar workshop manual here on CD ROM and can post up the instructions on how to do it if you want.

There is a steering rack for sale on Ebay at the moment for only £59 including postage. I have bought parts from that seller in the past and had no problems with them. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-XJ6-XJ40-STEERING-RACK-92-94-/322458292128?hash=item4b14030fa0:g:RQ0AAOSwSlBY0EKM

This rack is part number MMB3890AA which is the ZF rack used on the later battery in boot cars from 1993MY. It is different, but was discussed on xj40.com where posters found the later rack fits earlier cars  https://www.xj40.com/viewtopic.php?t=996439

"to add some conclusion to this, i have had word that a 93MY rack has been fitted to a 91MY successfully and all running well"

The ABS fault shouldn't be too difficult to solve either - pretty much every ABS problem that XJ40s have suffered will be covered somewhere on the Internet - whether Jag-lovers, xj40.com or jaguarforums.com - and I am sure we will be able to work out what is wrong with it. What are the symptoms? - What the ABS warning light does and when it comes on and goes off can often pinpoint where the fault lies.

Even if you have fallen out of love with the old thing and now just want it gone (did Junkman ever love it!! ;) ) it seems to make sense to me to sell it with an MOT for a four figure sum!

ABS fault is probably a sensor, the leads seem to crack as they are co-ax like a TV ariel on these. I ended up splicing the XJ40 end on a X300 sensor as I couldn't get a XJ40 sensor & it worked fine when I had mine.

I wish I could justify this currently, it's bloody lovely.

BTW, battery in boot or at the front?

I might have sensors too - pretty sure it's only the calipers that went and I still have the hubs. Will check tomorrow.

The sole bidder won it. They have one feedback, it reads "beware: no contact from buyer". This is after the previous ad was yanked from eBay on Tuesday when someone hit the BIN button despite having no intention of buying the car (and messaging me to say as much!). 

Fortunately I do have a lead on another potential buyer who is willing to wait and see if the eBay winner gets in touch. But he's in South London and didn't realise it was so far north... 

I have never had such trouble selling a car! A bucket of radioactive waste would be easier to shift. 

The sole bidder won it. They have one feedback, it reads "beware: no contact from buyer". This is after the previous ad was yanked from eBay on Tuesday when someone hit the BIN button despite having no intention of buying the car (and messaging me to say as much!). 

Fortunately I do have a lead on another potential buyer who is willing to wait and see if the eBay winner gets in touch. But he's in South London and didn't realise it was so far north... 

I have never had such trouble selling a car! A bucket of radioactive waste would be easier to shift. 

On eBay I never had so little trouble shifting a car. But this car doesn't shift no matter where. I wonder why.

I am fascinated by how many people on eBay can unintentionally click themselves through two confirmation screens,

don't have the faintest idea of the geography of the British Isles and are surprised an article actually does have the

faults clearly outlined in the item description.

You can be glad that they didn't leave negative feedback because you made it too easy for them to click themselves

through the buy it now screens, selected the wrong place to live and didn't list a 30 year old car in pristine condition.

On eBay I never had so little trouble shifting a car. But this car doesn't shift no matter where. I wonder why.

I am fascinated by how many people on eBay can unintentionally click themselves through two confirmation screens,

don't have the faintest idea of the geography of the British Isles and are surprised an article actually does have the

faults clearly outlined in the item description.

You can be glad that they didn't leave negative feedback because you made it too easy for them to click themselves

through the buy it now screens, selected the wrong place to live and didn't list a 30 year old car in pristine condition.

It is the same with the ones who say...."I bid by mistake"....How the fuck can you bid by mistake?????