PEUGEOT 406 1.8LS - TIMEWARP-ISH AND ONLY £495-ISH !!

Fatchance

Despite having the use (because he bought it) of this amazing machine my brother-in-law has returned home abroad and has left it for me to sell....

And even though it's coming up for its 18th birthday it's only got 59,200 or so miles on the clock, which, looking back over the MOT record on-line, seems to be genuine and is backed up by general condition. MOT runs all the way until January 2018, oil has been changed (I've just thrown out a big, empty Castrol container out of the boot) and a rear tyre was replaced last week.

The original service book and owner's handbook are both present and it still rides like a biggish, softish French thing should. post-17477-0-12146200-1491156625_thumb.jpgpost-17477-0-67308300-1491156651_thumb.jpgpost-17477-0-84849600-1491156709_thumb.jpgpost-17477-0-81295900-1491156742_thumb.jpgpost-17477-0-29127600-1491156805_thumb.jpgpost-17477-0-26126200-1491156852_thumb.jpg

Less good points are one or two scrapes on the bumpers and doors, as you'd expect as it's been around since the 20th century, plus while both front wings are getting a nice bubbly texture lower down close to the front bumper.

Available on Autotrader and Scumtree at only £495......but AS discount offered.....plus FREE bulb set......plus FREE Magic Tree.... in its original wrapping!!

post-17477-0-04161200-1491156886_thumb.jpg

Indeed they are, and who knows, it could still be crawling around Africa in 50 years time, displaying cockroach-like indestructibility, like its ancestors.

In fact, I would sell it to an exporter.

Shit I was hoping this was miles away! Do you have any pics of the bubbly wings?

Less than 20 miles away....I don't have photos of the bubbly wings as i was trying to forget about them - but as you've reminded me, I'll take photos tomorrow and post them up. (Slightly bubbly, more champagne bubbles rather than newly-opened bottle of Asda own-brand sparkling mineral water massive bubbles).

Probably still of interest in the African continent as it was the last Peugeot to feature a working suspension.  

Indeed - City of Edinburgh Council has been running an admittedly very successful experiment for the past decade or so trying to recreate the standards of African roads: the 406 seems to cope very well with these variable surfaces.

Something called the "silver top" engine in these seems to be favoured in Africa, although I don't really know what that means. (Top of it might be silver?). An African gentleman did call about enquiring about the car, but thought Edinburgh was a bit too far to come and view it from London.

They are indeed Gr12 for export. The chap who lived over the road from my parents (I think I've mentioned him on here before, he had a succession of X300s and X308s) had some connections to Africa and used to export these so they could use them as taxis. It was these, and weirdly, B&Q kitchens they couldn't get enough of...

Like these, my two were great cars, really got my money's worth out of both. Looks alot tidier than the one I just bridged of a similar era. The last of the good looking, properly designed (& decent handling) Peugeots (205, 106, 306, 406) before it all went to shit. 

BTW - shouldn't you put this on a white background, detailed to fuck for the photos with lots of 'OMG Timewarp/Survivor car/Barn-find/Ultra low miles' -type descriptions? Oh, and add a zero to the price too. 

OH NO!

Potential buyer was coming round at 6.30, so thought i'd better check it was going to start, go, stop and.....

THE HANDBRAKE IS SEIZED ON!! Now it's just a large novelty paperweight until sorted, assuming that's financially viable. Oh look, Scrappers is on in 20 minutes, is that an omen??

• 2 weeks later...

NOW SOLD - at a price reflecting its handbrake issue. A young Polish gentleman, who initially had difficulty with the concept of a seized handbrake and its consequences for how a car drives, used a large amount of right foot, soon followed by a loud cracking sound and some acrid smoke, to drive off, following the exchange of paperwork for a small wedge of cash.

Plan C was The Scrapman, so at least what was otherwise a nice old car will still be driven, and no doubt left in gear with a brick behind a wheel when parked....

Finally, thanks to everyone on here who commented and enquired.....it's been fun.....

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, there it is again....

If I hadn't seen it here in Edinburgh about 10 days ago I would have thought the force with which it left the kerbside here had blasted it all the way to Aviemore in one go.

Not sure what it was part exchanged for, though? Distinctly recall  just getting handed some cash. He must have the full V5C by now, though, so no need to applay for it.

Having led a very sheltered life, I'm not sure what he's up to.

He filled in the New Keeper section on the V5C with his girlfriend's details, and I had spoken to her originally, she having a far better command of English, when arranging the viewing.

Petrolize - if you are still interested in it I can vouch for its genuine-ness (is that a word?) up to the point it left my possession! I still have the handbook and service book as he left minus these and would reiterate the handbrake issue as mentioned above, this being potentially expensive to fix.

NOW SOLD - at a price reflecting its handbrake issue. A young Polish gentleman, who initially had difficulty with the concept of a seized handbrake and its consequences for how a car drives, used a large amount of right foot, soon followed by a loud cracking sound and some acrid smoke, to drive off, following the exchange of paperwork for a small wedge of cash.

Plan C was The Scrapman, so at least what was otherwise a nice old car will still be driven, and no doubt left in gear with a brick behind a wheel when parked....

Finally, thanks to everyone on here who commented and enquired.....it's been fun.....

Sure wasn't just a 20p stuck in the handbrake?