2001 Peugeot 2.0 Hdi estate GLX £100

stripped fred

I've had this for about 18 months and it's been a great car. Bought from a fellow shiter. It's a Y reg estate, 90hp, GLX model. It's been a reliable car for me but I'll start with the bad...

The main problem is an injector is leaking. The car's still driveable, I did 200 miles in it this week, but it's now down on power and the engine is having to work hard. I replaced the fire washer but I'm unable to tighten the injector anymore as there was swarf on the bolt I took out so I'm worried about stripping the thread. I think it needs a helicoil which I can't do, but someone else might be able to. I did ring a garage but they said the head might need to come off to do it. It's not worth me spending lots on it and I might want to try something more shite.

MOT to Dec 2017

202k miles

Taxed and still insured by me so no collection worries.

Has had regular servicing in my ownership, several hundred pounds spent, oil and filter change last week. I am a geek so have a spreadsheet with it all on.

New auxiliary belt

New rear pads and discs

Has had handbrake fettling to pass the mot, it's still not great, no 20p found

tow bar and electrics

bodywork is fairly tidy, has a few minor dents but no rust I can see and the mot man said it's pretty solid underneath

4 x Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres fitted still with reasonable tread left.

electrically adjustable front seats, all working

Gearchange is fine. I changed the gearbox oil last week. Clutch bites high but apparently they are often like that. No slippage.

The info display has pixel damage so it's not that much use.

The aircon doesn't work.

All 4x electric windows work.

I don't think the cd player works but the radio does

I have two standard keys so central locking is operated by the door lock. I don't have a remote key to try it.

Exhaust has some holes in where it was grounded but it's not too rusty.

The car came with no history so I would change the timing belt for peace of mind or play roulette at this price.

It doesn't owe me a lot and i don't want to scrap it. If it doesn't sell I'll park it up and fix at a later date.

I'm in Leicester. PM me if interested.

post-19517-0-19740200-1490904124_thumb.jpg

Oof. That does look well for a one-er.

I wish I could come up with an excuse to take it on. My cousin has a similar one in blue, with scabby bits and Dulux splatters, and every time he visits (to pick through our scrap pile), I have to consciously restrain myself from licking it.

There will almost certainly be a "bolt man" somewhere near you who will come out and helicoil it for less than £100. Head does not need to come off.

If you're brave you can do it yourself, kit is about £35. I have helicoiled a hole in a cylinder head before (tandem pump on a PD TDI) with a hand drill and no kittens died.

This is provisionally sold. I did ring a couple of places about a helicoil but they weren't that helpful. I'm sure it can be sorted quite easily but it's a bit above my skill set and I am lacking time at the moment. I don't doubt this will see 250k as feels as though it still has a lot if life left in it. The engine pulls well when it's working properly.

Don't bother with helicoil........just check current thread size OD and pick a thread with an ID that's is close. If you start with a taper tap it'll go.

Drill out clamp.........reliably fixed for cheap.

Zeus tables very good for thread info.

Don't bother with helicoil........just check current thread size OD and pick a thread with an ID that's is close. If you start with a taper tap it'll go.

Drill out clamp.........reliably fixed for cheap.

Zeus tables very good for thread info.

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure it is easy to do when you know how and have the right tools. I'm keen to learn new skills but i have to draw the line somewhere especially as I have other demands on my time like wife and kids. Hopefully the new owner will get themselves a bit of a bargain and the car will provide another few years of service.

Hi folks, I'm the proud new owner of this car - originally I bought it for my students to use at college as it has many electronic bits and bobs. Must admit it's much better than expected and drove back fine! Maybe I'll run it a while and see how it goes- I might have too anyway, I'm sure my old golfs dual mass was starting to rattle on the way to collect it!!