NOW SOLD Volvo V70 Estate 2.4 petrol manual 2002.

CYANIDE STEVE

For various reasons but mainly for health reasons, I'm selling a few of my vehicles off.

I have already found new homes for 2 of my FSOs.

The next one I have to offer is my Volvo V70 Estate, 2.4 Petrol, MILEAGE 131,000

I bought it, as I already have the 940 and thought it would be a nice addition. The truth is, I don't particularly like it and much prefer the 940, which I'm going to keep.

It has an MOT from earlier this month. A new coil pack and a set of plugs. It drives really well and is actually a lovely car but it's just not for me. I don't know. Maybe it's just not shit enough for me :-D

Things that need attention are: The top engine mount could do with replacing. The new tyres fitted buy the previous owner are slightly too big and rub on the inner plastic arche liner on full lock. I've noticed that when I put petrol in, that there is a smell of petrol for a while after but I've had a look under the car and can't find anything too obvious but it needs looking at. As you can see on the photos, it has a bit of eczma on the passenger door and n/s rear wing.

Apart from these problems it is a really nice car with leather and aircon. 

Collection from Staplehurst Kent ,or Crowborough, East sussex

post-5369-0-61997500-1490873887_thumb.jpg

post-5369-0-09180600-1490873934_thumb.jpg

post-5369-0-28292900-1490873962_thumb.jpg

post-5369-0-33397300-1490874002_thumb.jpg

post-5369-0-04750000-1490874040_thumb.jpg

post-5369-0-73289600-1490874071_thumb.jpg

post-5369-0-30286200-1490874102_thumb.jpg

post-5369-0-03976400-1490874141_thumb.jpg

post-5369-0-91015400-1490874184_thumb.jpg

Tyres rubbing the plastic wheel arch liners is pretty normal on these.    I believe there was some kind of MOT 'advice note' thingy issued about it, but IANAMOTT.   

£400 seems like a bargain for such a comfy car which should have 100,000 miles plus left in it.    I should think the alloys and tyres are worth a good chunk of the asking price alone!

The tyre rub problem can be solved by changing the lock stops, if these work the same as the previous ones.

Wouldn't mind it myself, I must say. Shall have a think about. In much of a hurry to sell?

I'm not in a great hurry to sell to be honest. I just thought I'd offer it while it still has pretty much a years mot.

Yup, the base spec was a 2.4 20v with 140hp, which is quite slow and thirsty - thirstier than the 200hp turbocharged version. The weight of the car plus the fact the powerband falls off a cliff in an unhelpful place within the rev range means brisk getaways and overtaking is ruled out. I took myself and MrsYoof plus luggage down to Rye for a holiday and had to change down for hills.

The 170hp version can more adequately keep up with traffic and probably offers a bit more mid-range torque and general grunt, although I have never driven one. I'd like to experience this engine in S40/V50 flavour if possible, with a manual box.

But both are sublime cruisers. It'll sit at 65mph almost silently for six hours and you will step out feeling fresh as a daisy. And when pushed the five cylinder warble cannot be beaten even if the speed is not commensurate to the noise.

I'd be picky if you were spending a couple of grand on one, but for under £500? SOMEONE GRAB IT NAO! You could easily move house in one and it'd be cheaper than hiring a removal company. For reals.

My Ph1 V70 is 140 horse ten valve spec, and to be honest I've never found it a problem. It's no fireball, but it cruises well enough, and nearer the redline it's adequate. The T5 was near identical on fuel, but the Ph2 170 horse 20v I borrowed for a week was much better. Probably because it's not as bricky. 40mpg might well be possible.

Although a few of you have mentioned how underpowered these seem. I thought it was quite quick. Although you have to realise, I've been used to driving FSO diesels, so after that, anything will feel like a Bugatti Veyron

It was underpowered for what I used it for (towing) but without the caravan it was one of my favourite cars. Very relaxing mile muncher and the best seats and stereo of any car I've owned

Mine wasn't terrible on fuel either for what it was

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

What a bargain this is. £350 for an 02 plate Volvo. Can't come a lot cheaper.

Only downside for me is it's a manual, otherwise I'd be seriously considering this.

Chap over on the Volvo forum has the same problem with fuel smell after filling. It only occurred after fitting a new fuel pump. It's under the passenger side rear seat.

By the way Cyanide, are you a member on the Volvo forum? If not, I can cross post this for you over there.

My S80 has just started the fuel smell. From googling it appears to be a common problem. Could either be fuel pump seal, fuel lines or filler pipe work. I'm not looking forward to dropping the tank for a look. Although it doesn't look too involved to do this.

Guest Hooli

Although a few of you have mentioned how underpowered these seem. I thought it was quite quick. Although you have to realise, I've been used to driving FSO diesels, so after that, anything will feel like a Bugatti Veyron

It's not so much underpowered, but compared to the 170bhp version the 140 feels broken over 3k as it doesn't gain any ooomph.

The 140's power delivery falls off a cliff at pretty much the exact point in the rev range you'll be at mid-overtake. I'd dread to think what an auto one would be like.

The N/A V70s are for 60mph wafting. They almost cannot be beaten in terms of refinement and comfort.

The turbocharged ones make overtaking a breeze. I've always wondered what the 2.0T in the V70 (which replaced the 2.4 n/a) would be like. It's ample in the S60 which is 80kg lighter than the V70.

I had a 2.4 140 on a 51 plate in dark blue about 5 years ago, lovely car.

I was working in Leicester at the time and it was my car of choice for wafting from Middlesbrough to Leics and back in.

Not fast but a competent and economical cruiser. I would easily do 450 miles to a tank compared to 360ish in the E39 528i I also had at the same time and used to take on the odd occasion, same cost to fill up etc.

They're absolutely mahoosive as well, me and the then MrsJohnK used to camp* out in the back of it quite often.

After a good sulk and think last night, I though F"(k it, I'll keep it. I cancelled the second listing on ebay. I'm not putting up with any more muppetry for the sake of £350! I'm not that desperate. I'll just park it at home and sort the issues as and when I feel up to it. I won't bother using ebay again to be honest. Waste of time.

Sadly a unique breed of knuckle dragging morons inhabit eBay motors these days, I have sold on there three times and all resulting in hassle (death threats on one occasion when I turned a ludicrous offer down), never again. I kept looking at it but being manual it's no good for me, at £350 it was a bargain. I wouldn't sell it if I was you either.

Sadly a unique breed of knuckle dragging morons inhabit eBay motors these days, I have sold on there three times and all resulting in hassle (death threats on one occasion when I turned a ludicrous offer down), never again. I kept looking at it but being manual it's no good for me, at £350 it was a bargain. I wouldn't sell it if I was you either.

Yep you're right about the knuckle draggers unfortunately.

Yes if it was Auto, I would have given it to my mum, so I wouldn't have put it up for sale in the first place. Although she seems happy with her Lexus for now :-D