Laughable TV car chases

sierraman

Watched Goldeneye recently, saw Bond lose a race in his Ferrari 355 to an ancient Aston. Unlikely or what. Got me thinking, what spectacular errors have you seen on TV car chases?

Invariably even when they are flat out on a long straight road in Film, they always find the ability to drop it down a gear and power ahead. A bit like on Top Gun, Tom Cruise, a bottle of wine down might I add, manages to get on a runway to race an F14. Again, flat out he changes down and powers ahead.

My wife is watching the Lethal Weapon TV series remake just now and the old continuity error of a car bashing something out of its way and then being unscathed in the next shot is well rife. I thought that died out in the early 1980s.

But far worse than that was the fact that they where still showing titles after the first 15 minutes advert break.

I nominate all 58 fast and furious movies especially the ones that feature the cars that have truck gearboxes.

"The Rock".

PDVD_006031003.jpg

The scene after the yellow Ferrari has been trashed:

Young chap on a motorbike:     Dude, you just fucked up your Ferrari!

Nick Cage's character:   It's not mine.......

Silly chase scenes: Hell Drivers - love the film but the hilariously speeded up footage of Dodge tippers careering around after each other is epic.

It always annoys me when Lamborghini or something is being persuade successfully by Police Panda Astra 1.7diesel

The quantom of solice chase seen at the start is annoying as he's in a DBS yet he can't get away from a bunch of Vectra engined Alfa  159 diesels.

au009-aston-martin-dbs-qos.jpg?itok=5GdD

Watch any ITC adventure series from the mid '60s to early '70s, and the same end to virtually every car chase happens - a white Jag hurtling into a quarry.

Once you've seen a couple of them you know exactly who's going to die in the next few frames - whoever steps into the Jag.

Later on, they gave the tragic heroines/villains a red Renner Dauphine instead:

It always annoys me when Lamborghini or something is being persuade successfully by Police Panda Astra 1.7diesel

The quantom of solice chase seen at the start is annoying as he's in a DBS yet he can't get away from a bunch of Vectra engined Alfa  159 diesels.

au009-aston-martin-dbs-qos.jpg?itok=5GdD

You mean the petrol 3.2 V6 in those 159 Ti

GM Holden did these, Alfa tinkered. 

Steve McQueen seemed to have a sixteen speed gearbox in Bullitt

James Bond (Diamonds Are Forever) went into an alley on two wheels, appearing at the other side on the other two wheels instead.  That's some special shape-shifting Mustang.

daflg-car-mustang3.jpg05-james-bond-mustang-mach-1.jpg

Chips (the old tv series not recent film) was good where you could actually see the trailer they were being towed around on by the camera car

Ahh.. the whole 'plexiscreen shudder/fixed elbow pose' thing going on, eh?

LMAO at the thought ;)

TS

*PrinceCharmings 'horse ride', in Shrek, sorta punctures the balloon lol

There's a whole special category of laughable reserved for gearbox use.  Have a look at Jeepers Creepers.  We are supposed to believe the 1960 Chevy Impala belongs to the girl (like that'll ever happen, even in car-crazy America; it's just not a "girly" car, even allowing for it being a classic twice the age of the character).  Further, we are supposed to believe she's perfectly happy for her kid brother to drive it on a long-distance trip.  She then lets him live after the beautiful back end of the car is stoved in (not his fault, but when in history would a sibling consider that a factor?) and further, when she does get to drive the car, she can't get it into gear using the floor shift (excuse me, 1960 Chevy????) but that's probably because it has no clutch pedal: when we see the pedals the brake pedal is clearly on an auto-trans car!

And before all of that, the biggest error of the whole film: the car is grey.  Oh come on.

post-4559-0-00341300-1490792980_thumb.jpg

Not quite Car Chases, But......Has anyone ever watched Casualty when they have a car crash/accident of some sort?....They are usually hysterical because they are so shit,

Like for example, a car crash at definitely no more than...10-15mph, & one of the car's barrel rolls several times, before careering through something like a fruit & veg stall, before landing on it's wheels & then being hit by a distracted lorry driver, Who inevitability, loses control of the lorry, which then barrel rolls several times, before careering through a pie & mash stall.....then blowing up like an oil refinery explosion...

The above is far fetched of course.....But that is what usually happens & i fall about laughing.