Renault Twingo Mk 1

RichardK

Not been following this one, but I have an oil filter which I think fits this you can have for free...pm me if so.

attachicon.gif15058421323951637836153.jpg

Hehe, thankyou - I have made this mistake once; mine's a 2002 with cartridge type filter.

Weirdly enough, if anyone has a D7F with canister filters, I also have a spare they can have ;)

I've got a tape to headphone adapter in my car, the thing where you can plug in an MP3 player. But cunningly I've plugged in a Bluetooth receiver so I can play music and podcasts from my phone to the car stereo. It's very handy and saves on mixtapes

I have one of those and an iPod preamp - but there's a CD-changer socket on the head unit, so I'm going to find an appropriate solution.

I don't know any clever solutions for the XM, TBH. These displays are a nightmare.

There are road legal, BS-marked pressed aluminium plates with black borders and EU markings. They sound appealing for having the metal construction - that's the French style bit I mean, not the spacing/fonts.

Rear plate is delaminating, so it'll be getting a 2002 font with border somehow. Hate borderless plates.

http://www.number1plates.com/pressed-metal-number-plates/

Good god, I love this car :D

post-19568-0-96527000-1506894271_thumb.jpg

The top mounts have definitely started creaking, and there's a slight stiffness which I think is overcome at different speeds by the EPAS - so, at lower speeds with more assistance it feels notchier. I'm also trying to suss out the suspension condition.

It's probably easier to do a whole suspension overhaul on it, there's no discernible play in the lower arms, balljoints or ARB, but the top mounts do make me question alignment. On that basis, considering shocks, springs, mounts and tie rod ends, then get pro alignment, and then see if anything is left that's worn.

Except Twingo bits are kinda amusing to pin down. Surely it's not actually Clio rated springs and dampers, even if all the bits look vaguely the same.

The driver's seat backrest/catch is playing up, too, so I'm wondering about taking the pickup to France/Belgium/somewhere and seeing if I can gather some spares - spare seats, spare trim, a rear bumper, undertray... what are continental scrappies/breakers like? I'll probably have to find somewhere pretty shiny with an online presence, though eBay is good for finding "car breaking" listings - found plenty of promising candidates there.

...I'm wondering about taking the pickup to France/Belgium/somewhere and seeing if I can gather some spares - spare seats, spare trim, a rear bumper, undertray... what are continental scrappies/breakers like? I'll probably have to find somewhere pretty shiny with an online presence, though eBay is good for finding "car breaking" listings - found plenty of promising candidates there.

SHOTGUN!!!  :D

Tell me about it. Do you know of a cheaper place to obtain the rubber replacement ribbon? I fixed my XM but had to pay £10 for a strip of rubber from French eBay. The XM I am picking up tonight has the same issue and I would like to fix it cheaper if possible.

£10 isn't bad considering what Citroen used to want for a new display. Think three figures!

• 4 months later...

There are road legal, BS-marked pressed aluminium plates with black borders and EU markings. They sound appealing for having the metal construction - that's the French style bit I mean, not the spacing/fonts.

Rear plate is delaminating, so it'll be getting a 2002 font with border somehow. Hate borderless plates.

http://www.number1plates.com/pressed-metal-number-plates/

These would suit is as long as they don't have an incorrect country designation as dubbermongs seem keen on (E on Seats, D on VW, F on Renaults, all instead of GB).

I just read this thread from start to finish, and I am super chuffed for you. Its an emotional rollercoaster of a story, a story which I can actually relate to.

Ive never experienced one of these Renaults before, is it what you would call go-kart like, but without the acceleration? The front seat trick is neat, very reminiscent of a Smart Forfour.

• 2 months later...

Life changes:

Twingo is for sale - MoT August 2018, work as in thread. Jobs it will need if you want perfection:

Mechanical - front suspension top mounts are a bit noisy/heavy after a long run.

Cosmetic - paint loss (primer - top coat flaked off!) on driver's door about  6 x 6 area where you'd hold the door if closing it lazily. Small crack in rear bumper and stress mark - bumper cut for foglight as well. Interior light lens needs replacing, one clip is broken so it falls off. Glovebox handle is broken off - parts there, but again, a broken clip. Sunroof clips (included) need replacing - sunroof works but has slight rattle.

Starts, runs, drives well. Comes with new cooling fan motor and engine mounts from Amazon bargain hunting. Remote keys work. Sunroof works. New sump (to be fitted ATM) as old one had cosmetic rust and looked messy against rest of engine.

No roffles - I'm in the mind to sell right now; my resolve may not be that strong if I get a chance to use this car again!

Somewhat surprised by the lack of interest in this - not so much price-wise, but for all the enthusiasm it's had; just in case anyone read the PC caption and not the actual thread or page, a quick recap.

It's a 2002 Renault Twingo Expression, 1.2 8v, Mk 1, LHD.

Originally from Holland, it was imported fairly young, and converted to MPH, hence it's recorded miles. There's an electronic converter in the dash; documented.

It has RHD headlights, hence they're the earlier mid-design with integrated indicator but not complex reflectors. It should have the complex reflector at this age.

It's in working condition - two keys, and turn either one and it'll drive anywhere - after months in the garage over winter I drove it Peteborough without issues, it's generally pleasant to drive too. Very easy despite being LHD.

I got it a while ago, with a misfire. As documented, the misfire was a failed headgasket between the cylinders - fluids had not mixed. It took a while to get around to fixing it, but it's been fixed since August 2017, driven regularly until the weather changed including being stuck in Birmingham traffic jams and driven down the A14 rapidly.

I paid £250 for it, and spent probably over £400 in parts, plus a lot of time repairing it. It's had:

New head gasket; head and block cleaned thoroughly and checked with straight edge and lasers

New gaskets elsewhere

New water pump (Bosch)

New timing belt (Bosch)

New plugs and leads

New radiator

New thermostat

Flushed and changed OAT coolant

New air filter, new oil filter (of course)

It also comes with a new radiator fan motor (Valeo), new lower engine mounts.

LED rear lights to make it more visible.

New rear brake pipe for MoT.

It's very clean underneath and on top, no rust. The glass sunroof works, but needs some guides - they're quite involved to fit, involving removing the headlining trim, so I've held off but will do it if pushed.

There's a patch of paint loss on the driver's door window frame, which I always planned to sort. Quoted £200 to respray the door basically, and that was the plan but I wanted to see if I could get an uncut rear bumper as well.

Needs wheeltrims, they let it down.

I don't think it's overpriced, but obviously I'll think about offers - I'm more surprised I've had no offers or questions.

I insure it with Direct Line. It's not as cheap as I'd expect, but it's still 1/3 the price of my Fiat pickup.

Much as I'd love to Roffle it, the tickets would be nearly £30. Can't see much enthusiasm for that.

I'd maybe consider a £20/ticket roffle to buy it for £350, if that makes sense - roffle winner pays £500 for the car, roffle entries £20, but that seems really convoluted.

It was this thread that ingnited my love agian for Twingo's -  hence why i have one now! really @£1500 this one is good value, I paid about £800 for mine with about a months ticket and this one looks much nicer and has had a load of work done. 

only thing I would suggest to help sell it is perhaps chuck it in for an MOT, the you've got the full 12 months, but that is the only criticism