Renault Twingo Mk 1

RichardK

Great stuff well done! What's the next task?

Small tasks - change oil again, replace deionised water (which after 40 minutes of running remains fairly clean, so I'm optimistic the OAT coolant will make it happy), put new air and oil filters on and a new sump plug copper gasket since that was missing. Going over the small things like wiper blades, changing the second foglight to a red LED since it's lost the tinting film.

Change the brake fluid, since the car's been sitting for a year.

Then MoT :)

Then get the top of the driver's door painted - the top coat is flaking off leaving bare primer. I've only seen that on a car in the states where it have been stored under a tarp with something holding it down where the paint was subsequently lost.

Need to find out if the headbolts need to be torqued after a period, as the rocker cover is a PITA to take off including inlet manifold etc. - but if they do I'll check the valve clearances.

Woohoo!

See? It wasn't all that hard after all, was it?

:-)

Ask me in 3000 miles ;)

No, it wasn't bad. It's not all cleaned to the standard I'd like, still liked the idea of the new engine. But now I've done this one I'll be more comfortable with the next. Best bit was that it started right up.

I have no concept of force so rely on torque wrenches and data, and I had the wrong data for the top engine mount - I had Clio spec which is 100nm/77lb ft, which resulted in bending the lower bracket the nut bolts up against. So will have to replace that.

Weirdly despite some of the parts being removed almost two years ago, and the rest done in March for the most of it, and the usual chaos, I remembered where everything went.

Yayyy! Good effort, you must be stoked.

When it's MoTd and I can drive it, I'll be very happy!

Even got the radio to decode despite the display being broken.

All sounds promising. Gotta say these Twingos seem a lot more familiar/less alien than they should do in the British Isles, strangely. Renner were right daft twats for not making these in RHD, etc etc

All sounds promising. Gotta say these Twingos seem a lot more familiar/less alien than they should do in the British Isles, strangely. Renner were right daft twats for not making these in RHD, etc etc

I don't think they could. It's quite tightly packed and needs the space above the gearbox for the brake servo and battery, they'd have had to literally swap it all around Honda-style.

Haven't run it today, because why tease it, but checked in the garage and the "coolant" level is still spot on and there are no signs of weeping oil from any of the places I can easily see (i.e. I can't check the exhaust manifold side without messing around with the borescope). Rocker and head gaskets sound.

How long till it braves the MOT test?

Not sure, I'm all over the place at the moment. Soon though. Waiting for a new front wiper blade and need to sort the white foglight out. Suspect getting it on the road will reveal all sorts of hitherto-unknown maladies ;)

I believe they are stretch bolts. I used new ones obviously...

Clean up pre-MoT...

post-19568-0-51854900-1504452830_thumb.jpg

There is no rust on the sills, or anywhere that I can find bar a tatty lip on the sill due to tyre monkeys...

post-19568-0-84234400-1504452979_thumb.jpg

Can't really see it but the dash now has all new bulbs in. I think 1.2 was too dim, but was wary of LEDs.

post-19568-0-50939500-1504453070_thumb.jpg

Lovely correct mix of coolant - a couple of hours running with thermostat/fan temp reached and some road time and flush de-ionised water out with no staining, then add 33% mix.

Heater gets really nice and hot.

post-19568-0-84971900-1504453184_thumb.jpg

I was offered one with a 5GTT engine in. Head gasket gone, naturally. Apparently when you get to 120-odd mph (aka 199kmh) the speedo "crashes" and stops reading until you've turned the ignition off and back on.

This may be one for the pub bore thread, I never saw it happen